TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dave's Shelby Z

**This is a copy of my TurboMopar build thread, this spans about a year and a half to the present**

Recently I was accepted into a school program oriented towards training and eventually employing veterans in the IT field. Seeing that the class was an hour and a half drive up the turnpike in Newark, my GMC Safari had to go for something more fuel efficient and a ton of searching later I found a MINT black Lebaron T1 log auto. Tossed in a boost gauge, timer, boost controller and a few other goodies from my old (rusted out) Shelby Z and I was really remembering how much fun these things are. Wasn't too long until my girlfriend started to get jealous of my sub $30 fill ups and started making noises about wanting something to replace her Grand Cherokee 5.2. Started looking around for a nice P body for her and this thing popped up. Not too far away, decent price, low miles, my favorite color, and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Daytonas (this is my 4th) little fast talking and I convinced her to take the Baron once this beasty is reliable again. Wasnt running when i went up to look her over, but the body was straight and I could only see the car through the eyes of a sixteen year old kid seeing nothing but the potential. Well I wanted a project

Here she is parked next to my retired red 87'. Filthy girl...

Someone ought to outlaw trees. Big thanks to Cordes for help with troubleshooting the dead fuel pump

Lurking Lebaron

Couldnt get the power loss lamp to light, tried a junk cluster and managed to get 12, and 55. Figured the ribbon connector for the idiot lights was bad and changed the back board out. Doesnt seem to have fixed the issue, I think something is loose on the red connector. Maybe it'll come back with regular use? At least I know the LM is getting signals out now.

Gave her a half assed attempt at cleaning, gonna be a ton of work. Looks a hundred times better though

The current plan is to get her running good and then swap basically the entire top end from the red Z to include the 3 in exhaust and the intercooler. Gonna take the head from the black Z and use it to convert the Baron from Log to T2. Eventually, I want to shove this Caravan 2.4 in there :eyebrows: you know, I always wondered how wide a flat 4.4 v8 would be...

I know which one is Ghost's favorite!

Played some cod, got bored and decided to see if I could convince the pumps to come out without dropping the tanks. Jacked the driver's rear and got to whacking. The 255 came out easy as pie, the stocker took some beating. Got everything swapped over and a circuit test completed before the heavens opened up. 1st start is just gonna have to wait till it stops raining. Effing mother nature :P

SUCCESS! Jumped it off Vic's jeep and she awoke with a clatter! Literally, stuck lifter. Luckily it worked its way free after a few seconds and she quieted down to a nice rumble. A little cam noise but thats to be expected with a slider (I am now 100% convinced that there is a roller in my Baron, no 2.2 slider runs THAT smooth) couple revs, turbo sounds good, spooling nicely.

Hundred year old gas, dodgy fuel lines, no tach, no plates, no insurance, hell I haven't even transferred the title yet. Eff it I'm going around the block. back out real slow, look down at the radio and realize the old owner had the dimmer cranked down, no wonder there were no lights! Put her in gear and ease out, clutch is heavy, the 555 shifts tight and clean, memories flood back to ten years ago when I first drove my red one and old gas be damned my foots going down. She flies! in comparison to a heavier auto log car anyway, boost comes up in a sweet balance as she reminds me why she crushed the Porsche 951 back in the day. Loop the block, heading back, roads a little tight so no shenanigans here, press the brakes a little harder and RIGHT TO THE FLOOR! brake light comes on and smoke everywhere! feels like the calipers are a bit stuck, cool I'll let that slow me down, slip the clutch a little and roll up the drive. Guess I gotta do brakes now. FML

Lots of work to do and National Guard AT starts next week. Its gonna be a LOOONG month till i can get back to her

Been raining all afternoon so I cant hunt for the leak. Had enough time to do a little trouble shooting though, turns out even though the bulb I had in the Power loss slot had an intact filament the thing was bad. Swapped out and got some codes. 12, 55 from my Red Shelby's LM and 11, 12, and 55 from its OG, Sweet. Tossed in yet another cluster in search of a good tach and found one thats moving freely, just flying all over the place. AIS is def out and whatever literally died in the air fan REEKS.

Any one know how the fix the passive restraint system? what controls it? where its power comes from? fuse? I know it was a dumb idea and they suck but I'd like to have it working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
On mine it is totally passive, the shoulder belt just clicks into the buckle on the door. Is yours motorized?
Hmm well I thought they were...LOL I might be looking too far into this, how dumb would it be to put it there if its fixed? to the owner's manual!

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Alright scratch that. I went out and took a closer look while grabbing a new beer (All beer at my house lives in a 1940's Westinghouse fridge out in the garage, Od green with flames. The extra distance helps deter me from drinking up all the beer at once and occasionally makes me more productive ) Anyway, I can see no possible way that those belt mounts could move. Manual must have been written with the new retarded laws in mind and the belt position the same. Im still gonna tell USAA its got a passive restraint system :P prolly only have to pay like $12 a month instead of the $17 I get on the Lebaron

Oh yeah, heres my Fridge. Effing badass. turns beer into slushies, we never should have banned freon.

So I'm finally home from AT and its my first real day off in a month go to work on the shelby and. Its pouring out. Doh! Fired right up and pulled it into the garage. Didn't see any fuel leak, but I did locate the brake leak.

On a lighter note: Victoria had my lebaron while I was gone and racked up its first kill rolling home today. Riced out civic. I'm totally upset

Gonna hit up some fabric shops tonight. See if I can find a badass pattern for the headliner :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by My96z View Post
Good to see you are still around doing well and wrenching on some TD's. I still have the van... Have fun with the projects!
Holy crap! Jeff! hows life man? Im still telling people how much fun that day terrorizing killeen in your voyager was. you still with the army?

I gotta apologize to anyone watching this thread, work, guard, and school have completely dominated my time lately, plus I still haven't managed to sell the 240z OR the NSX so theres no garage space. :grr:

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Sweet! 87 = 2pc intake = win.
hell yeah, gotta find someone to port them now that I have two

Had a productive day, brake lines are too far gone so I'm going to drop it at the shop tonight. Pass door was simply stuck, tons of WD40 sprayed in and around got it working again. the window tracks were shattered as expected

550 cord will keep the window sealed until I can source a replacement.

fuel leak traced out to be a hairline crack in the filter, slapped on a new one and some extra thick line on the feed side to clear out some of the hokey line replacement.
gauge cluster still doesn't work correctly. Im going to log it's mileage and swap in a known good Digi cluster. I gotta have a functional tach. I think im going to try and whore out a stock cluster and see if i could sneak a 5in in dash tach in there. looks to be possible if i leave a notch or two for clearance. before i mock it up I will have to take stock of what gauges are actually needed and what can I stuff where. should be fun.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Well that was a fun ride. Found another fault, wipers are toast. Looks like I'm swapping motors when it comes back

Pulled the leather door trim off my old z today, not sure if they got cut for the t-top cars but it'll be great having the one with the 10 year indent from where my arm hangs out the window.

Whew! been busy with 2 jobs, night school, and national guard. still managed to get a ton of stuff done. brakes are fixed, title is transferred and the car is legal and insured. went for a little spin earlier, seafoamed the ---- out of everything and changed major fluids. slowly getting there.

hows a car this old and neglected run this well? amazing

seriously! I left TMs for an NSX for chrissake. The Shelby Z is just more fun

Took it on a final shakedown cruise beating it down the highway, belt squealing like holy hell. noise stopped as i was getting off and the temps shot through the damn roof! parked and cooled it down...limped home and did some fiddling. swapped in my drilled 180* stat from the red car and TU housing. filled it back up and fired it up. put a flashlight on the acc belt to see if the waterpump was spinning and OH ---- NO BELT! think i figured out why it stopped squealing :P gonna swap in the red car's belt this weekend and continue shakedown trials...shes close!

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Oh, I should mention: the analog gauge cluster has magically returned to life! even the tach seems like its semi accurate. might put that Digi swap on the back burner for a bit, still want to build a full custom dash with all Autometers but we got plenty of time for that

So...the other night after the belt broke my girlfriend decided she wanted some "relations" and since it was a nice night out I figured "why not in the car?" My backyard is fairly private with a big plastic fence (although I don't have a gate anymore cause a hurricane broke it) anyway she got all dolled up and things moved towards the pass seat. One small problem: the dome light is gonna give us away! After looking around a bit I realize there's no way short of a fuse pull to kill the damned thing. So I do what any guy would in the heat of the moment and yank the housing out with my bare hands. Managed to give myself a third degree burn on my left index finger (oww! Worth it tho ;-)) fast forward to tonight. Replaced the belt, swapped in an led conversion bulb and re-glued the shift knob insert

Forgot to mention, we heat gun stripped those awful louver mounts off. looks MUCH better but still needs some razor blade lovin'

Maybe tomorrow I'll make a plug for the NOS fogger hole in my upper IC pipe from the old car. Never did fire the damned thing, ended up trading it for a motorcycle. Im thinking a cut down bolt with a smattering of JB weld oughta keep the boost inside where it belongs

got the bov pipe all plugged up so I went ahead and mounted it yesterday morning, also deleted the stock airbox and crossover pipe and stuck an old K&N cone on the stock rubber inlet tube with a silicone connector. looks like its supposed to be there. tried replacing my rearview mirror with the one from my other car and discovered that they are different and dont fit (!) and went out for another shakedown cruise.

found a couple more issues, seems the oil pressure sender had failed internally and was leaking up around the screw where the wire connects. WIERD but I suppose if theres a point for failure a turbo dodge is gonna find it swapped that for another sender with clean teflon tape. Also saw some steam coming up from the hood at slow speed and water coming down when I stopped for breakfast. UHOH lets take a peek underhood...Doesnt look too bad, no obvious leak. water evidence all over the intercooler and rad and some gurgle noise from the overflow. looks like a bad rad cap. Swapped that for a new Stant lever cap and kept rolling.

I forgot how much fun it is blasting off the turbo XS type-h next to people. especially old folks and cute girls.

Big test is tomorrow, I have to drive her about 200 miles round trip for work. tossed in a fire extinguisher and im going to pack some spare oil and my air pump. got my AAA card all ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540demon View Post
That thing looks sinister man....love it in black!!!
Me too! I've always wanted a black one. Had two reds and a blue and it never quite looked right. Can't wait to get her on the suspension from the red Z and swap those pumpers out for my SSR Comps....If I can ever pry them away from the GF's Lebaron that is

Heres my old Z in much better times

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

im torn on whether to swap the rollbar and short shifter. the three gauge pod is NOT making the transition. I need that space for the boost controller I want.

she already stole my alpine

On my way home from work/class tonight and she's running pretty well. been toying with some guy in a E46 who was too scared to try anything, Haven't seen him in miles. My exit is coming up and I notice a car creeping up on my left trying to figure out what I am. Good look in the mirror and I can tell by the lights its an EG civic with aftermarket fogs. Fogs eh? what else you got buddy? I let him get to my back tire, clutch-rev-dump and mash the pedal to the floor. fly from 60-90 and there is a city block between us. He makes no attempt whatsoever to catch up, actually slows down a bit. guess he didnt really have anything else afterall? almost made it home and I see familiar taillights. a black lebaron stuck at the light! a bit closer and yup thats my plate. Girlfriend is on her way back from girl's night out, I know she'll go, only one problem: Im stuck behind the 350z sitting next to her. light changes shift hard to second, pop a lane right and blew by them both. look on her face was priceless, I should come home early more often one of these days I'll get a decent race.

Also, looks like the never to be sufficiently damned heater valve is busted. two cars in a row man! these things suck. guess im topping it off tomorrow and hopefully source a replacement quick.

ordered up one for a 97 v6 ford explorer. damned near the same thing and in easy to find parts surplu

So since i've been driving her to newark three days a week I have noticed a certain stumble as she transitions from vacuum to boost. In addition, she seems to have some reluctance to rev until it goes closed loop. SO...thinking its a spark issue, tonight I decided to swap over some Ignition stuff from the red car. pulled my cap with the magnecore wires and cleaned up the rotor. Pulled the plugs from my FM E1 head and swapped them in noting that the first two cyls were gapped under 30 and the last two over. ugh at least they look even. went to swap the cap and the screws stripped on the old distributor. ----! ripped out the distributor and cut the cap screws with a dremel so I could see the rotor position. swapped in the new one and got everything bolted back together. starts first try! woot, guess i got everything right for once bust out the timing gun and set it to 14* (I think I remember Gary D recommending that on his site) and go for a spin. MUCH smoother...wow shes really pulling too! rips right up to redline, I'd only intended to go around the block but ---- it a little blast down the highway wont hurt anyone ;). Gave a yellow 997 turbo an earful of BOV. I wouldnt have stood a chance but he was too busy trying to work out what I was to reciprocate (have I mentioned that I love how aggressive this car's obscurity allows me to be?) hit the freeway onramp and im revving deep into second, hit the apex and floor it, car just sticks and goes. Are we sure this is FWD? tach deep in the red, shift to third and merge at double traffic speed. Awesome. why did they ever stop making these?

terrible night picture, but you can make out the few limited mods that have been so far completed.

more tomorrow!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Hmm Havent been able to post for the last couple of days, I dont think the forums like the new firefox very much

the wipers have completely ---- the bed. hopefully i can get the motor swapped out this weekend. Also need to work up a plan to swap the Koni/Eibach setup over...car feel like its gonna do a backflip on hard accel

So tonight on the way home the dash cover started rattling loose so I yanked it, front speakers are beyond blown. Its actually painful trying to listen to the stock setup. Started poking around on crutchfield tonight cause I have had my eye on a new head unit for a few weeks now and surprise! they're offering the deck (listed at $280) for about $100 off withfree shipping, free mount, and free wire adapter. Couldnt pass that one up ;) even poked around online and found another $25 gift certificate :eyebrows: heres what I went with:

Sony DSX-S300BTX

the black with blue layout is going to match GREAT with some of the other goodies I want to mount and it has bluetooth for both calls and streaming.

best part is this:

instead of playing CDs this thing has a retractable tray you can mount your ipod, mp3 player, or small harddrive in and then enjoy your music without wire junk everywhere. a couple of months ago, my girl found an old 30 gig video ipod with a busted audio jack. guess where that lil sumbitch is headed?

I completely forgot to mention that I got the explorer heater valve installed. Its not quite a direct fit, on the mopar part the pipe that goes to the water pump outlet is turned 90* to the other three pipes. on the ford part its flush with the others. I only had to lengthen one hose to make it fit well. Its been a solid five days since anything leaked or broke

*posting from night class*

new head unit arrived today! WOOT! cant wait to lob this thing in and get cracking on the interior restomods :P

Pulling apart the dash to mount the new deck and a twenty year old virginia slim pops out of the dash. You came a long way indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordes View Post
Make sure you've got a good ground to that wiper motor too. I had the ground piece go bad on mine and it would cause intermittent failures. I ended up running a 10ga. ground from the wiper motor to the body under the wiper motor bracket. You can't see it and the wipers go fast like they should.
Actually, I hadn't mentioned it but a couple of days ago I had to take my Dad's truck to work and when I swapped cars back I noticed the driver's side wiper was "up". tried pushing it around and heard some pop and a clunk. Damned thing started working again a couple days later. I think the linkage between the two is loose and jammed on something. When I yank it apart I'll def look into augmenting the ground. good looking out!

Oh, and badass

Sundays are my only day off so I ended up sleeping in and got a late start today, then the Eagles weren't losing for a change so I couldn't leave that , still managed to get all the brake discs swapped out. SOOOOOO much smoother riding. Also coated most of the known rust spots with black rustoleum. Ought to buy me a little more time.

Buddy at the Car club meet offered to lend me his spring compressors so hopefully I can get all the suspension goodies swapped over. DYING to get the full 3inch exhaust swapped over...can you bolt a 3in dp to a 2.25 sv? I always thought the answer was no but the SV on this car seems way bigger than the stock pipe and has me wondering. if not is an in car SV swap possible? or a giant pain in the dick?

"Its a nothing part, till you don't got one"
-Malcolm Reynolds

On the way home from school tonight listening to the flyers annihilate Ottawa and I lost my accessory belt (again) on the Jersey Turnpike. spent three hours trying to get back with AAA. Hopefully I can source two tomorrow.

Im an ------- for saying that

Woot! passed inspection first try!

yeah I was going to swap on my FM E1 head but Ive read enough horror stories about the FAW 782 I think id just be better off simply swapping manifolds to the stock head...

You know whats awesome about restoring a car that has sat for years? everything, sarcasm of course. lost my other wiper in our snow the other day. limped home and had to figure it out today. bought and installed two new bushings, bolted everything together and...nothing. check the boards, wiring diagram, fuses and remember cordes advice on grounds so i ran another line and its working well now.

and with it getting cold out and my winter beater still not fixed I figured it was time to bite the bullet and find out what the ungodly smell was in the air vents...

what can I say? when youre right youre right. bout 3 dead mice tons of ---- and other byproducts everywhere. this was REALLY fun to clean

all back together, slowly coming along.

even the shadow looks good

I never posted it but I swapped the nasty cloth door covers for the leather ones from my T-top car. much nicer inside. also swapped the rockford door and pioneer rear speakers. gotta source some good replacements for the fronts. I never knew that panel was held on by bayonette clips when I did stereos on the red one

24/7

Ride to work this morning smelled like cinnaflavored antiseptic

Well, my time driving this car in it's current incarnation is running short. Winter is coming and years of neglect are really starting to rear their ugly head. The exhaust has developed a 1 1/2inch hole in front of the cat. tried a tiger patch and a beer can. burned through in about a day . fixed the loose powersteering belt. go to start it and i hear slapping from the right side...---- timing belt is loose. pop the covers and look it over, def loose but I can probably get away with it (late at night and have to be at work early the next day) fire it up to see how much slop its got and I got stupid. tapped the belt and watched it shoot towards the valve cover, didnt even think about it and tried to tap it back the other way with my finger. caught my glove and drug my right index up through the cam gear. thank God i was wearing gloves, the belt was loose and the 2.2 is SOHC.

thought i was gonna have a Jorge lorenzo moment when the glove came off. luckily everything is still attached. ive got feeling and i can still move it, albeit stiffly and with a good amount of pain.
Lessons learned: always wear gloves and if you have to dick with a running engine use a ----ing screwdriver.

worst part is I believe the cam to have jumped a tooth retarded, idles like ---- but it clears out enough to drive smoothly (though it doesnt want to rev) Im running the spark pretty advanced which seems to keep it goin until I have time to try and jump the belt back. What I really need to do is fix my jeep so the daytona can rest for a bit and I dont have to rush every job into the three days off I have a month.

cheers

yeah yer telling me! lol i thought it was gonna stay in the glove when i took it off. might have a buyer for my 240z, that would give me enough to fix the jeep and space to store the daytona. fingers crossed

alright, so advanced the cam 1 tooth (clockwise) and got everything tightened up again and it seems to be much happier. idle is much improved and the power in the lower bands is crazy. the problem however is theres a noticeable slow down when it hits 4k. like it ran out of cam or something. so with that im assuming im still off a tooth. which way should I go? clockwise? counter? ill probably try to reset the whole thing this weekend, might install my adjustable cam gear while im at it if it will come off the old head.

spooling very well with my exhaust leak. its like a free cutout!

right but the theory was that in the process of eating my finger it retarded itself by a tooth (or maybe 2) I have some bad memories of the int shaft moving all over the damned place while trying to set timing and the right screw is stripped out of my distributor. ie: gotta wait to do it right

nice video:thumb: Ive never had a problem lining up, my issue always came in trying to keep tension while putting the belt over the gears. in hindsight i think i was going too tight but the int shaft has so little weight to it it would always spin out of position

after doing some more reading I believe it never jumped a tooth in the first place. I think the belt adjuster had been slowly working its way loose and finally fell almost completely undone when it took out my finger which when the slack was taken up would make the cam artificially feel retarded. explains the piss poor idle, slow spool and power up top vs the current state where it is too far advanced and feels amazing till about 4k where it falls on its face. be interesting finding out anyway.

So, heres a fun question: did daytonas always have the fat underdash cover? I thought my t-top had the lebaron style skinny one. its not a huge issue but thats really the most convenient location for mounting the EBC

anyway, I'm stuck here at work for a bit. apparently i'm the only one who decided to show up on turkey day thats what I get for working three jobs

also, happy to say that my 240z has sold and I now have money (and garage space) to get my grand cherokee fixed so soon I can put the shelby away to winter project status. gonna start getting all the gauges, rollbar, suspension, exhaust, etc swapped over from the red car :eyebrows: also been reading up on Mptuner and the LM turbonator database. probably going to take a stab at socketing my spare LM and try to aquire an ostrich. gonna be an interesting spring
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Never did get to timing today, running fine except for the brick wall at 4k. maybe tomorrow. Spent most of the morning on the bike (hadnt rode for pleasure in at least six months) put some work in on the Jeep ZJ, watched the Eagles fall apart and then while on the phone with my girlfriend swapped out the retardedly long stock shifter for the "Derek Beland" style shorty from my red car.

Ive never used it with the stock knob before, effort is a bit higher but it aint bad at all. Can really rip with the thing too.

Sidenote. WTF is the box in the speaker hole in the center of the dash do? besides leak potting goop all down the inside dash. does it need to be connected or can I bin it? TIA

Quote:
The deal in the center of the dash controls the headlights.
ahh yeah, kinda required then any way to clean the ---- out of it?

I should mention that while doing the shifter swap I found another virginia slim, a broken lighter in the cables, a hairclip, about $350 bucks worth of grocery receipts dated 1990, and a ton of long blonde hair. This is a man's car dammit! I'm sure miss shelby is relieved to be free of those offending items :P

I think im going to swap the lockout parts back on my shorty. the lack of a bumper on the left side really hurt accuracy on 1-2 ups and 3-2, 2-1 downs. wasnt a big problem with the long bling knob in the old car but with the short knob its exacerbated

pulled her out of the garage this morning and spotted drops of fuel trailing from the car. popped the hood real quick and fuel is spraying out the return hose towards the back of the block and the turbo. kill it, shove it back in the garage and start looking things over. seems the clamp had worked its way loose over time. adjusted it down, went full tight and added another over the flare for gp. Noticed a lot less fuel consumption on the way to work (doh!) God only knows how long it had been leaking or why it hadnt burst into flames yet. Glad as hell I always keep a fire extinguisher in my cars.

looks like it wiped out a headgasket, been sitting for a few weeks while I slowly get around to working on it. swapping in the 3in exhaust, ported manifold, and 89 spec T3. Might toss in the FMIC as well depending on time. In the mean while I have had this billet radiator cap laying around the garage FOREVER. Figured it was about time it got used for something so I cut apart a spare oil cap and JB welded the whole shebang together. Looks pretty good IMO.

Cheers

I really like the way this came out

all cleaned up

with that done I turned to pulling the head.

ugly but not bad. cam has some wear on it, may need to source a replacement before I put it back together.

yup its blown

#1 ring looks shredded. amazing that she was still driving happily like this (just eating a ton of water) these cars are incredible

Jugs and bores look good. really good

nice hatch

cant wait to get this pipe in

Still cant get anyone to buy this thing

soaking in PB blaster for the manifold swap

Garage is deceptively large

Quick questions for my lurkers: I'm seriously considering swapping the newer and uprated valvetrain from the crappy FAW head of my old Shelby Z to the known good chrysler head of the new one. could everything to include the valves be swapped without requiring machine work? even if the newer valves have a backcut? Also, my faw head had a F475 cam, the amount of wear is similar to whats on the stock 87 cam. think it would be worth dropping in? 475s were new grinds correct? or should I try and source a squaretooth roller? keep in mind my time is limited, damn durango is eating me out of house and home

Thanks

Not much doing tonight, Still soaking down all the bolts. Did some really abbreviated prep work/primer and painted my a/c delete alternator bracket flat black rustoleum. Looks a bit better than the old chrysler engine red. Dont even remember what the hell this came out of...old turismo I think

Productive day, got the head apart and only broke 1 stud. I think thats some kind of turbododge record. Dug around in my attic and found the never installed thermocouple for my EGT gauge which was a perfect fit for the drilled and tapped hole in my FWD ported exhaust mani (thanks Cindy, only about ten years later but I'm finally going to use that feature! :P) Also found a NIB speed/distance sensor, a brand new looking alternator, and a piston autographed by Ashley Force :drool:. Got both heads partially stripped in preparation for the cam swap, gonna leave valves and springs alone for now unless a compressor poofs into existence near my house in the next day or two.

Also, while working on the ported mani I noticed a couple of spots where I was having boost troubles in the old car. #1 the lock bolt on the adjustable wastegate was getting caught on the braided water feed line, preventing it from opening fully, #2 the arm wasn't set anywhere close to flush so the flapper was never shut. no wonder it always felt lethargic! So combine crappy spool with unstoppable creep and you'll understand why I quit for NA exotics I guess thats what I get for trying to mount the thing while the turbo was on the car. Stupid!

can you spot the 475? Immediately knew which one was my problem lifter when #7 refused to come out. gave it a little english and a good yank and it came. good riddance! Could see a definite difference between the stock followers and the ones from the FM head. New ones were MUCH lighter smaller.

Silly me only had one can of brake cleaner. Going to need a lot more...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Got the ZJ back today so I can take my time on this. check this out: my old Z is visible from space! also give a good idea for the size of my garage. gonna check out what day this sat photo is from and see if I can find the black Z...

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

for reference:

Bah, apparently it was a holiday so a lot of cars were out of the train lot, which would be great except im not in my usual place and half the cars are black. oh well. guess I need to get some red r/t hood stripes...or maybe I should wait until I kill a challenger?

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

I should have kept this damn manifold. that plenum would have looked real good bolted up to a ported 2peice lower. wonder how big it was? prob going to want about 3.3 litres

speaking of which, this is pretty interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Shape-Inta...item3cae703c09

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/intakepartspage.html

a little quick and crappy math says a little under 15 inches would yield the desired 1.5x engine capacity figure and the flat part of that "D" would go pretty well with the aforementioned lower manifold. little under $60 too. Kick that to my fabricator buddy and I'm sure I could have a killer IM for around $100. Now if I just had a spare $100

A lot of cans later. Dont think its getting much cleaner :P

Made a couple cuts in that exhaust bolt that I broke so that i could grip it up with vice grips...put on some torque and snapped it in half just under the deck ARRGH. I'll deal with that later. Went and hit some baseballs around and came back to do some work. finished the A/C delete process

now that we have all this space I suppose I ought to stick something in there...

tried separating the stock IC and the bottom two bolts bent my allen wrench. cut it up and tried driving it with a socket and it bent again, tried drilling it out and it broke the bit. I quit.

mmm I should mention that the lower mounts for the intercooler wont work here as my red Z no longer had the lower airdamn when it was mounted and I would have to cut up near unobtanium pieces. instead I intend to fab up some new lower mounts using existing bolts and some galvanized metal straps. between that and the hard pipes should be plenty of support.

Said ---- it and zipped the metal around the IC mount off with the dremel cutting wheel. Less weight right? fabbed up a support strap for the non piped side of the IC. seems real solid so i'm going to leave the other side supported by the hardpipes for now.

test mounting the rad. needs a wash

we've got FMIC!

A long time ago my red Z had to go in a shop, apparently they didnt like all the bolts on the fidanza so they tossed em and tapped the black part of the gear for a set of allen bolts. this effectively killed the adjustable nature of the gear because theres no room to fit the allen key between the gear and the vc...SO, easiest fix I can think of is flip the bolts around (since its already tapped) and use them as studs. gotta pick up some washers and nuts that fit and we'll be in business

I WAS going to sell this venom fuel rail, which is a leftover from my cancelled hybrid parts collection. On a whim tonight I lined it up with the stocker on the black Z's 2 piece and it looks like it matches up exactly. Could be a nice add on when it comes time to build the sheetmetal plenum I want ;)

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

I'm wondering if its worth zipping out the stock rad fan and mounting up this aftermarket one from the red Z. I know im nowhere close but does anyone know where the stock rad fan runs out of ability? if nothing else it would clean up the engine bay slightly as the motor is much shorter. IDK

out and about in limited use. still shaking out problems

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Glad to hear that it's up and running.
its a slow work in progress. told a guy at the meet to be careful when he got out of his gto cause i didnt want any paint on my rust. lol

couple small things, turns out my inability to make more than 5 psi was a popped off ic pipe. old school avcr works perfectly even with the injector signal (self learning) disabled. Have it set to around 11 psi with an allowed spike to around 13. gonna need to break down and pick up a cal soon, I want to see what shes like at 20 psi ;) power delivery is for lack of a better word, violent. Spool comes on basically as soon as my foot goes down and people seem to be in general scared to death of it. Still some issues, seems the ps pressure hose has a huge leak. gonna try and swap it with one from the red car. also some small amounts of oil are escaping from the vc and that naked lady oil cap I made split in half from the heat and vibes. we need more jb weld! lol

So Sexy. Love this car. The NSX was never as much fun

It just trips me out that she's as good as she is after how she sat for 5+ years. trying to explain the seatbelts to people is always priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
+1 to the seatbelts! I hate those stupid things!! I wish I could find standard tan ones, but they are VERY hard to find!
Actually now that I'm used to them I kind of like them, very similar to the way belts work in most piper aircraft. besides, I like having the option to just wear a lapbelt if im bumming around town or all of em if im hooning. I just need to pull the belts out and see if I can rewind the springs so they retract fully

Started talking cars with an old girl-friend on FB tonight and the subject made it to my nasty saggy headliner. Started sending links to fabric designs back and forth but nothing really caught my eye. then I noticed they had a custom option...Came up with this, thoughts? haven't ordered anything yet. just playing around with the editor

Something seems to be following me, what could it be? ;)

Gutted the back and got the rollbar mocked up. No time to drill her right now but shes coming along, only needs the rest of the suspension swapped over before i start fiddling with the engine again.

I found that monkey in a bag of stuffed animals we were supposed to pass out in Iraq, said eff that this is my monkey and taped him to my humvee's antennas. Brought great luck, we never got blown up while be was with us so I brought him home where he usually hangs from the rafters in my garage, Well he looked like he wanted to play ;)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

nice surprise check in the mail this morning, Thinking about going ahead with the big plenum mod for the 2 piece. Cracked my spare in half and checked out fitment on the venom fuel rail

Fits perfect!

15 inches of the RMR D shaped extrusion would give me a little more than 3.1 liters of plenum space which ought to really help her topend.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ima...plenumsize.jpg

I'll have to mock up the exact lengths in thin card or paper so I can see just how tight things would be. As of right now looks like the plenum would have to go on after the rail lol

Roll bar and rear strut bar are drilled and bolted in tight. Fixed the boost gauge last night, and sprayed over all the obvious rust spots underneath with a rubberized rustoleum spray paint to stop the rot. Took her for a wash, vac, and wax and got in a couple of races sunday.

Went to my usual sunday night car club meet (where as per usual I'm the only non v8 guy, yay!) anyway as the meet was wrapping up a couple of us decided to cruise down 38 to another meet that has a bunch of younger folks and the kind of nonsense they tend to tune up. Get out and watch my friends 10 and 12 second 4th gen camaros do a couple of roll ons and I end up in the lead at a light, buddy yells over that he thinks he saw a honda up ahead and "Go get im!" Knife the Shelby through traffic and all I really see is a black S13 hatch thats dumped to the ground with fat tires sticking out. Pull up alongside and give him a PSSH while staying a gear low and high in the Rs. Looking over I can see an Apexi power fc standalone on his dash and Know I dont have anything for him. Hes clearly curious though, slows down to listen and look at the Z, trying to work out what she is before pulling along side and eventually taking a rip, I go with him but shes not pulling well at high rpm and he quickly puts a couple cars on and moves over. I pass slowly and throw a friendly wave. Catch up at the other meet and it turns out hes completely untuned and we were both running 10 psi (or indicated since its 8v 10 vs 16v 10 ) Talk for a bit and he cant get over how cool the Shelby is or how nasty it sounds. His hot blonde jailbait girlfriend seems politely interested but less impressed Hung out for a bit, talked with my 10 sec camaro buddy a bit on cam orientation and figure Im way advanced and head out. Just cruising nice and easy and start coming to a light, suv in the left and some douche in a new maxima pulls the automatic cars dont like waiting for manual cars slide in bull**** and almost runs the light anyway, I slide in next to him Intending to smoke him and regain the right lane before mine dissappears. Light changes and I fast feather the clutch from 4 grand, small controllable amount of spin as i slam it in 2nd and put my right foot through the firewall, realize he went too and is dead even with my door only making gains on shifts. Guy up ahead pulls out and I shut it down. Idiot in the Max almost hits him. those things have 290 and run mid 14s. not bad for pig rich with the cam way off and only 10 psi :P

Got her out the next night and started slowly retarding the cam and pulling fuel. Got her to three marks back from center and she seems pretty happy there. Cant wait to fix her leaks so I can go to Atco and get some real measureable data. Also pulled fuel till its showing around 10.9 to 11.2 on the wideband. Not sure how much further down I can go, Boost is up to 12 (I think. afcr works in kg/cm2) anyone have any idea what the safe range is on egt? Pulling MUCH harder through the powerband now

Next comes the suspension swap (eek!) and then the sheet metal IM project and 3bar conversion with tunable electronics :P

Yeah best $900 ever.

Also got a guy who is 90% likely to buy the NSX this month so once thats gone I'll sell the ZJ, and the Lebaron and go looking for a 5 speed 99-01 accord. Decent price, wont send women screaming for the hills, and theres four billion of them on the streets. Also when I get bored a head and piston swap brings them up to about 200 hp which should be plenty entertaining for a commuter. Everything else is going to go into a newer bike, Dying for an aprilia rsv factory

My Club meets sundays at 7pm in the old tower records lot near the cherry hill mall. The other meet is in the lowes parking lot in lumberton behind the super wawa

Exerted my dominion over the land by slaying the dozens of wasps living in the red daytona's fender and hooked it up to power to get the windows down and fiddle with the tracks. Turns out they are only one bolt and retardedly easy to change out. I can do a write up if anyone wants but fixing the power windows is literally a 15 minute idiot job.

Needless to say both the black daytona's windows go up and down now and thank christ cause its hot as hell out there. lol
Also swapped out the front speakers cause the stockers sounded like blown death, turns out nobody carries a 3.5 inch speaker anymore. had to get no name el-cheapo units from pep boys but they sound ok so W/E.

AND: Sent a picture of her to this girl I'm talking to and she thinks its beautiful and knew it was a daytona Might be love.

Cindy is the best, S5 and some other goodies on the way! Can't wait!

Seriously, havent talked in years and she remembered me AND my screen name. Amazing

Figured Id throw up a couple of interior pics now that all the bars are in and tight.

Considering there were only 14,000 something Shelby Zs spread across 2 years of production. They're ALL pretty rare. lol

Love to see color/option build numbers though. My black one was a relative stripper compared to the red car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprahuman View Post
Dave,

glad to see the car is up and running and it was a great read to catch up on what I wish I could have done w/ the car! Best of luck with it though, I'm really happy it's back on the road!! Maybe I'll bump into you when I'm in the Supra :eyebrows:
Ive seen what you run in that monster. Any meeting like that would require a new engine at the very least ;)

S5 showed up with missing pins, couldnt rig it so sent back with a good core to get socketed. Still waiting :P

New S5 is in and it rocks! Tuned the avcr to about 18 psi and pulled timing down to about 12. Its VERY happy. Gonna need to redo the pcv but she ******* rolls. Had some fun new failures too: fried a spark module (never heard of that happening before!) and apparently my battery recently had a light explosion. EEK.

Zip tie beats oil fountain any day lol

Pulled timing back to stock.

Sunday brunch with the folks

The remains of that cars and coffee meet. Two of my favorite cars EVER!

Sleepy time!

My new daily beater, 97 SC2 5spd. Got it for a steal. Grand cherokee and Lebaron will be for sale soon :D

http://youtu.be/EVJe0MxkAGU

Old School AVCR is bombproof at high boost! rockets straight to 20 and stops like there was a stop for the needle :D

Intake parts are starting to roll in! Getting exciting!

The plenum itself is around 3.5 liters, toss in the runners and it should be close to double displacement.

Know anyone to port the lower besides moparzrule?

Sexxxay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Dble displacement = Good times with a big turbo and supporting mods
Hell yes.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Couldnt sleep and started fiddling. 1am vehicular butt tucks ensued...

I kind of like it. Want to push her out and see it in the light though. Get a real walk around. Geez I really am going to have to paint this car eventually :P
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Actually I really like it. Cleans up the rear end a bit and should look great once its all painted to match and stuffed full of LED bulbs

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post

Actually I really like it. Cleans up the rear end a bit and should look great once its all painted to match and stuffed full of LED bulbs
Wiring will be fun. Since I have a spare I'll just Frankenstein two harnesses together

Yeah, I'd heard rumors of it being done but the only pictures I ever found were of a fully converted 2nd gen to 3rd gen body swap. I prefer the Shelby Z's looks so I had to take a leap of faith and just try it out. Glad I did

started priming the bezels and figuring out how to wire this sucker, I'm going to mod the 87' harness with the 93' connectors (where different) theres a couple of extra bulbs in the 93' on the center light bar, probably run those in parallel to the next nearest socket

Today I came home from work to find a little present from Lengel ;)

Dude rocks, I cant wait to get this thing over to my buddy to get welded up. I just need a couple of threaded bungs for charge air and the vac ports and we are ready to rock!

Oh yeah, tonight I've got to write out a check to Steve ;)

Quote:
Tail lights look good! Which version weighs less? ;)
bahahahaha i was totally going to scale them both tonight after dinner :P I'll post it up

Finally found a good use for that old baby scale thats been taking up room in a closet forever. lol (I dont have kids! why do I even have this thing? lol)

old taillights with bezels came out to about 22.06 lbs, new style was 22.30 lbs. Pretty negligable, actually what makes the new style heavier (barely) is the larger back-up lights and separate license plate backing. Its really close :P

shaved off a pound between old and new plenums/fuel rails though ;)

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
Very nice!

You can get the weld bungs from diyautotune.com

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/3...sor-p-107.html
Dean, thats the right size for the charge air temp sensor and the vacuum ports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Carefull, your starting to sound like me! lol
Haha If I was super concerned about weight I'd be in a rampage, not a Shelby Z. I would like to see if I can get her under 3k though. I need to find an excuse to go out to the truck stop so I can weigh it...

Found some time tonight to work on painting the bezels, the paint it came with looks like crap so I'm doing a crappy job to match looks perfect, I wonder if its last paint job was rattlecan?

I really need to straighten up this mess I call a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerman View Post
Nice work
Thanks man!

Sooo my bungs showed up today...in 1/8th npt going to have to wait until tuesday to send them back

Quote:
No doubt, any L body would be easier... G-body's are too tubby!

under 3k is not too hard if you don't mind losing amenities ... useless back seat and seat belts ~ 50lbs, etc
They are MUCH sexier though ;) and as a subscriber you should know the rear seats and belts are long gone :D

post paint mock up, no bolts if it looks ----assed

Thats going to be it for the weekend driving to Cleveland to visit family and see the airshow :thumb:

Big valve swirl progress pic from you know who ;)

Also scooped up one of Lengel's port, polish, powdered 58mms

As you can see its a perfect match for the cnc endcap

The last thing air sees before it goes boom :P

The lengel plate is already radiused. Just needs to be cut into the floor of the plenum

Quote:
Cool. That's one heck of a combination you're putting together.
Hope so, hope my money holds out :P my old goal for the red car was to eventually eclipse a ferrari F40 in all relevant performance categories. Skidpad might be a pipedream but power and acceleration ought to be well within reach. If nothing else she'll eventually be a badass car that might cause others to see her the way I have for so many years ;)

been reading through the 40 page tube header thread and bouncing pictures off my friend. His response in reference to whether he could do an over the trans long tube header? "Easy!!" :D thinking maybe he351 with external and a screamer pipe :thumb:

Was having full field problems so swapped to an nippon denso style alternator with an external regulator for a dodge truck with a 318

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Yes its held on by zip ties. Plastic is lighter than screws lol

http://www.mazdaspeedy.com/2011/11/t...ering.html?m=1

New plenum is so big it overhangs the ps pump, so even though i don't currently run ps if i want to add it back I'll have to go remote. Nice write up on using the third gen mr2 electronic unit

Found an online coupon for year one and ordered a repro "voice of roadrunner" horn. And i of course justify this to myself in that beep beeps were designed to work as a single do i can ditch the two hi/low setup and reclaim any added weight from the external reg. Of course i could have just pulled one of the stockers (but i had a coupon dammit! ) but a beep beep just ads to the cool factor, and it might Piss some old guys off which is always a plus.

I gotta find a girlfriend soon, for my own sake i need someone I'm my life who can say no from time to time

cant wait!

beep beep!

couple more manifold progress pics today, Also SM finished up the lower so I should be getting that back soon so we can do final mockup and figure out how much clearancing we will need before making it all pretty and installing.

Girl I was going to take out tonight had to cancel at the last minute on a furry family member emergency. SO I decided it would be a good night to go cruise rt38 hit the sonic and see what kind of trouble I could scare up. Cruising along and traffic is terrible. Twin lane 50 zone and people are doing the race of the snails act at about 40. Make a couple of moves fighting my way forward towards a pocket of clear air and end up behind a be-fartcannoned e90 corolla, back window in grease pencil advertises that its for sale and has "headers" a full exhaust and other goodies (all yours for the low price of $1100!) Guy wont move over and traffics not really helping, move to the middle and slide up a bit, unfortunately I spooled a bit and he immediately dropped to my 3/4 in the standard ricer "what the hell is that black wedge looking thing making whoosh sounds?!" position. Knowing he'd never go in a million years now I give up on him and start coming up to a light, theres traffic but the third (temporary "smoke em") lane is open on the right. Slide in and make it obvious that im overtaking on green. Light goes and the lady in the Taurus next to me displays her complete lack of sense and floors it. Her mirror makes it to my nose by the time my foot hits the carpet, spool hard and rip into second blowing both fronts away as the clutch comes back out. feather, hook, mat it again wheel sawing back and forth in my hand and shes GONE, take the lane and bang third. mirror check and no cops pop into fourth and let off a little under 100. Cruise a couple of more miles and hit the sonic for a victory burger. Saw the idiot and the corolla a few minutes later and then got to enjoy watching some stateys light up a minivan while I ate.

Stopped on the way home to grab some stuff from cvs and snapped a few pics, couple of girls that were too young for me wandered out and look over both me and ol' miss shelby and start smiling all big. Couldnt decide if they thought I/the car was cute or if they had never seen a grown man take pictures of an old dodge in a parking lot at night before and thought it was funny. all in all a pretty good night :D

Sickness, just waiting for the lower now and we can do final mock up and figure out locations for vac and sensors and make it pretty

Thinking about a holset he351 based on all the good things shadow and others have had to say about it. But in the immediate future its going to get fed by the same .48 housed 2.5 swing t3 that's on her now. At least until we workout the exhaust side flow upgrades :P

Roadrunner horn is in

decided it was time to deal with my leaks, started swapping turbo and water lines last night and pulled the valvecover. Almost no rtv on the baffle going to re torque the head bolts and get it all closed up, hopefully in time for the DV SDAC meet tomo. Date tonight so uh...we'll see :P

Ported lower from Steve, beautiful work!

Annnd stuck it all together for a final mock up in my parts car

Clearances look good, I cant remove the PS cap but it can be opened enough a straw or pipe could enter so I suppose thats good. Firewall is a little tight but it hopefully wont touch with the polybushings mounts. Surprisingly enough it looks like the factory fuel rail might fit with a little notching which means I may debut this part before the big fuel delivery upgrade :D

Very happy with the current progress. Dropped the venom rail off with my buddy to have the ends opened up for AN fittings and a tap for a pressure gauge
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

**Annd we're current**
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Blowed it up at 21 psi :P pulling it apart now
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
was that lebaron john voights by any chance?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fm2iN...%3Dfm2iNNqj2fQ
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
I don't what I love more, the fridge or the first time I rode in the Red Box of Death.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
was that lebaron john voights by any chance?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fm2iN...%3Dfm2iNNqj2fQ

I bought it stock in Delaware so unlikely.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Also scored a freebie hy35 for the project.

Zip, zero, nada
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
jjm4life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4443

My Ride:
jew canoe

Send a message via AIM to jjm4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I bought it stock in Delaware so unlikely.
Was a Bad sienfeild reference..
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEJ20x View Post
I don't what I love more, the fridge or the first time I rode in the Red Box of Death.
heh in the time since that pic was taken my house fridge **** the bed so that old westinghouse is now in my kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
Was a Bad sienfeild reference..
ahh yeah, I stopped watching that in boy scouts. lol been a while

juust a bit bigger