TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
wrxrex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7950

My Ride:
06 wrx

Get your Subaru tuned by Sti Mikey?

Im looking to get my Sti tuned by Mikey but he is in CT and it would be difficult and expensive for him to come up for one car. If there are 2-3 people interested in gettin their cars tuned he would be willing to come up and tune them.

As some of you know Mikey is a very good tuner and a great guy in general. His tunes are way more affordable then local shops and he always does a great job and makes great power. Look at some of his threads on NASIOC proven power bragging.

Please let me know if you are interested in a tune for your wrx/ sti/other subaru. I will talk to him and if i can get 2-3 people interested he would come here and tune them.
wrxrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
schaffer
Tri-State Addict

Member #16147

My Ride:
2015 Tacoma.

Area1320
schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
wrxrex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7950

My Ride:
06 wrx

Thanks for the input but they usually tune with utec. Area1320 is a great shop and just built my motor. I started the thread to see if anyone wants to get tuned by Mikey
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
what kind of EMS does he tune? dyno or road tuning? any idea of how much? Just some things others will be curious about...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
wrxrex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7950

My Ride:
06 wrx

thanks TROLL for reminding me. As far as I know the tune is between 175 and 200. It's a road tune and I know it's mostly opensource but he may work with some sort of ems. if anyone is genuinly interested I can contact him and find out specific questions.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:
WRB 2004 WRX Wagon with 07 STI Trans and Longblock inside!

Before tuning with anyone, research them on NASIOC and see how many blown motors they are associated with.

ScoobyNubieToo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

By the way, I speak words of wisdom above based on my own personal experience: see this post here
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...&postcount=668

Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I understand looking for a good deal but with the high qulaity of the vendors that offer tuning services here like Area1320 and R/T tuning I don't see a point in pulling someone in from CT. Remember boys and girls if you wouldn't bargain shop a heart surgeon don't bargain shop a tuner they get the rates and reputations they have for a reason.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
I understand looking for a good deal but with the high qulaity of the vendors that offer tuning services here like Area1320 and R/T tuning I don't see a point in pulling someone in from CT. Remember boys and girls if you wouldn't bargain shop a heart surgeon don't bargain shop a tuner they get the rates and reputations they have for a reason.
QFT !!!

Average tuning rates ~ 450

Tune for < 200 makes me wonder WHY it's so cheap.

Popped motors SUCK.

Do it nice or do it twice.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
wrxrex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7950

My Ride:
06 wrx

From what I have read he has a very good reputation. But other factors come into play too. I went to one of the best, if not the best subbie shops in jersey only to recieve 1 dyno pull and a base map.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyNubieToo! View Post
Before tuning with anyone, research them on NASIOC and see how many blown motors they are associated with.
That's a really crappy way to judge a tuner IMHO,.... The best tuners usually work on the best cars/truck. The best cars/trucks are the best because they push the envelope....

broken parts are just part of the game.

OP, i have a friend with a wrx who's been wanting a tune..can you give me an approx price so i can hit him up and see if he's interested?

since this is road tuning would he need to have his own ARF gauge?

Nobody On This Forum Cares About Real Performance

^If you disagree prove me wrong
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post
That's a really crappy way to judge a tuner IMHO,.... The best tuners usually work on the best cars/truck. The best cars/trucks are the best because they push the envelope....

I agree if you are talking about high powered engines. If the tunes are just on basic setups with a turbo upgrade then I would say that is a very legitimate way to judge a tuner. Also if your car is one of the blown, as is the case with Scooby, then you are really allowed to speak up with a warning.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxrex View Post
thanks TROLL for reminding me. As far as I know the tune is between 175 and 200. It's a road tune and I know it's mostly opensource but he may work with some sort of ems. if anyone is genuinly interested I can contact him and find out specific questions.
We arent huge fans of street tuning from begining to end, just cause of the danger and liability assiciated with it. We do trim everything in on the street when we are done. Either way if a cust wanted a street tune we charge 100/hr and it usually takes 1.5-2hrs.

AWD dyno tuning is 200/hr. A cobb protune takes usally around 1.5 hrs where as an open source tune takes about 2-2.5hrs on the dyno just casue the OS stuff isnt as streamline as Cobb. Those times also typically include a intake smoke test. IMO, I think the difference in price alone is well worth security of being tuned by and insured shop and not making WOT pulls on a public street, with all the varibles related to that process.

Not saying this guy isnt a good tuner, he is probaly very knowledable and has had good results, alot of guys out there are. I just think some people dont look at the big picture sometimes.

Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post

^Says the guy who didn't have to spend the money I spent on new motor when it crapped out on me the day of my tune!^

Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Quote:
By the way, I speak words of wisdom above based on my own personal experience: see this post here
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...&postcount=668
I forget....who tuned your last set up?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
^Says the guy who didn't have to spend the money I spent on new motor when it crapped out on me the day of my tune!^
What was ultimately the problem with your engine? SO many variables need to be considered before blaming the tuner imo. Did you do a compression check prior to increasing output, test all sensors, check for bad gas, clogged injector, etc. A tuner would have to be completely inexperience or wreckless to blow an engine with the tune itself, its usually parts failure.

Owner of the car is responsible for making sure their car is ready for the tune. If the engines a fresh build check the blue print, engine builder.

With that said, stimikey has tuned MANY cars, specifically my buddies stock td04 wrx that went 12.6 (2 place record if I'm correct) and still running strong. Not sure if Mikey tuned your car but whoever did I imagine you went with someone who had experience with your specific model/mods and had success in the past.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
What was ultimately the problem with your engine? SO many variables need to be considered before blaming the tuner imo. Did you do a compression check prior to increasing output, test all sensors, check for bad gas, clogged injector, etc. A tuner would have to be completely inexperience or wreckless to blow an engine with the tune itself, its usually parts failure.

Owner of the car is responsible for making sure their car is ready for the tune. If the engines a fresh build check the blue print, engine builder.

With that said, stimikey has tuned MANY cars, specifically my buddies stock td04 wrx that went 12.6 (2 place record if I'm correct) and still running strong. Not sure if Mikey tuned your car but whoever did I imagine you went with someone who had experience with your specific model/mods and had success in the past.
Well if you click on the link in my posts, AREA 1320 is quoted as saying that without a doubt, a bad tune was responsible for my blown motor. Injectors were installed (correctly) the day of the tune and my timing belt and plugs were done a month prior to the tune. Many of the OG members on here know my car quite well and everything it has been through and know I have kept this thing in top notch running condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
Updating this thread with actual pics of what exactly went wrong in his 2.0. We initially thought to to be a valve and dont know what our camera captured. But check this out. This was a flat out bad tune.

Last edited by ScoobyNubieToo!; 06-23-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
i'd be willing to bet ive broken as much money in parts as you have...but that's neither here nor there.

i wanna know why the tune popped your motor... running lean? too much timing? too much boost for pump gas?

Nobody On This Forum Cares About Real Performance

^If you disagree prove me wrong

Last edited by RedBowTies88; 06-23-2011 at 09:26 AM.
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
Well if you click on the link in my posts, AREA 1320 is quoted as saying that without a doubt, a bad tune was responsible for my blown motor. Injectors were installed (correctly) the day of the tune and my timing belt and plugs were done a month prior to the tune. Many of the OG members on here know my car quite well and everything it has been through and know I have kept this thing in top notch running condition.
Was it the map he checked for inconsistencies/carelessness or did he just check the physical damage? I know Ryan knows his stuff, that can't be argued! I just think blaming the tuner should only be brought up if EVERYTHING was checked before and after to come to the conclusion.

Here's a check list from evans tunings website, RT has a similar check list. The reasons these shops with years of experience have these list is because they also know that a blown engine can happen even if the tunes perfect.

(scroll down to see full list)
http://www.evans-tuning.com/pre_tuning_checklist.html
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
Was it the map he checked for inconsistencies/carelessness or did he just check the physical damage? I know Ryan knows his stuff, that can't be argued! I just think blaming the tuner should only be brought up if EVERYTHING was checked before and after to come to the conclusion.

Here's a check list from evans tunings website, RT has a similar check list. The reasons these shops with years of experience have these list is because they also know that a blown engine can happen even if the tunes perfect.

(scroll down to see full list)
http://www.evans-tuning.com/pre_tuning_checklist.html
Well, perhaps I should be a little more detailed. I was riding with the tuner....he did some tuning...we heard a loud bang and I said what the hell was that? And he said I think I hurt your motor. Then my engine blew completely a half hour after that. Is that conclusive enough for you guys?