TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #41
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #42
strat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21071

My Ride:
2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

Love the sound of the exhaust in the vids!!

Looks quick!
Old 10-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #43
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks dude!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #44
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

This car must be a blast.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #45
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

^^ It is! Not perfect, but good fun

Had fun at VIR last week with Trackdaze. I wasn't going for broke, but still obliterated my XP12/XP10 pads Never had AWD off or oil temp issues. I hit maybe 280 degree oil temps... but it was only 65-80 degrees and I have to stress that I wasn't going balls out.

Here was VIR full with a 2:23.184 (with traffic):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyu54bU2OoM

and VIR Grand (Lighting Lap configuration, I ran a 3:09.9 if you start the lap at the old start/finish as I never got a single clean flying lap all the way to the new S/F location...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CSAAtFlsc

Pic of the overheated front XP12 pad:
Old 11-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #46
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Swapped in LED brake lights the other day, mostly for the safety reasons. A full car's worth of extra stopping distance for a trailing car at 65mph! For the study on the safety advantage: https://chemlinks.beloit.edu/BlueLig...p/an1155-3.pdf

Installed my blue Green Filter today. Easy install, even in the rain, lol. I'm glad I swapped the filter, the OEM filter had all sorts of white fuzzy stuff on it.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #47
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

cool article on the brake lights. I wish the DOT would standardize "hazard braking" lights under hard braking like some exotic cars have adopted.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #48
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

still hav brz?
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #49
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
cool article on the brake lights. I wish the DOT would standardize "hazard braking" lights under hard braking like some exotic cars have adopted.
There's a few cars that I've seen with that at autocross now (hitting ABS is much more common at autocross, lol) and it's a really neat feature. For example, the BMW i3 turns on progressively more lights on the back as it brakes harder, which is neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavillac95 View Post
still hav brz?
Nope, sold it about a month ago. I sold it on a Thursday, and the new owner had it on track that weekend. Apparently it blew his socks off because he was super excited about how fast it was.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #50
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
There's a few cars that I've seen with that at autocross now (hitting ABS is much more common at autocross, lol) and it's a really neat feature. For example, the BMW i3 turns on progressively more lights on the back as it brakes harder, which is neat

Nope, sold it about a month ago. I sold it on a Thursday, and the new owner had it on track that weekend. Apparently it blew his socks off because he was super excited about how fast it was.
That BRZ was definitely fast around a track. 1:45 around Shenandoah is cooking!

I'm curious to see what the RS does around Shenandoah...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #51
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm not sure I'll track the RS again. I'll go into details another time or over a beer (or many, lol)... I'll just say that I'm very much not impressed with Ford's build quality...
Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #52
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'm not sure I'll track the RS again. I'll go into details another time or over a beer (or many, lol)... I'll just say that I'm very much not impressed with Ford's build quality...
This coming from an MK2 owner can't be good...

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #53
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Nah, that's coming from an ex-Subaru owner. I pretend the Mk2 doesn't exist most of the time lol
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #54
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
really? hmmm, I was just reading an article about how great this car really is and blah blah blah. The article was so good that it had me thinking "screw your dream STi, buy an RS instead when you graduate" keep us posted, i'd definitely like to get back into autocross once i have a steady income and free weekends.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #55
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The car is fun to drive, but there are a lot of quality issues for a car as expensive as it is. I'll post a list running it down when I get a chance...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #56
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The car is fun to drive, but there are a lot of quality issues for a car as expensive as it is. I'll post a list running it down when I get a chance...
Damn that is not what you want to hear. Sorry man. That really really sucks and I hope it gets fixed.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #57
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks for the support, gents.

There's the PTU leak issue (transfer case) which seems like a plague at the moment. Huge quantities of people with issues... Mine's leaking, of course. Minor leak, but is it really that hard to assemble a car without destroying the seals in a part?

Plenty of people have issues with the transmission leaking too...

Then the b-pillar rattles... The metal panels in the b-pillar need to be separated a smidge between the spot welds to break the dry anti-corrosion agent. Once the bond in the material is broken it's quiet... but you have to do every seam and there's about 100 different places that can & will cause noise in each B pillar.

My paint quality is horrific. My passenger fender may need a repaint (paint is all crackly looking and there's a spot that appears to not have clear coat as it's only "kinda" shiny... it was shiny and smooth before) and I already had the hood repainted...

There are lots of other weird rattles that are cheap car problems (I understand the RS is based on a cheapo Focus... but my ****ty Aveo rental this week is rattle free, what the flying f*ck Ford?)

The complete lack of front end camber adjustment is a massive failure for a "track ready" car, IMO. It only held up OK because I wasn't going balls out.

Oil cooling is pitiful, I was cruising at ~275-285 degrees F on track at my pace...

Driveline cooling is pitiful too. I had zero issues, even in 80 degree weather... but plenty of other people have had issues.

My exhaust valve is now super squeaky since it got cold out. Minor issue, but it activates the valve every time you open a door to get in... Sounds like sh*t every time I get in the car to drive.

My center console makes bizarre creaking noises now that it's cold. I can stop it by shoving the console around, but it'll eventually come back by the end of my drive to work.

The floor mats use a different retention than any other Focus... So Weathertech and others have had to make custom mats for the RS. Weathertech finally released theirs a few days ago, so my floors are filthy. Why didn't Ford just use the same retention clip locations as the ST? The floor pan didn't change...

The lack of a proper spare tire is bull****, but seems normal these days.

The TPMS system is stupid as hell. They used a standard 315MHz frequency TPMS, but it uses a really rare protocol signal. Supposedly it's a 3-6 month wait for new TPMS sensors from the dealer... Shops aren't legally allowed to install wheels/tires without TPMS, so idk what happens if you go to a dealer to get a faulty TPMS replaced like some people have had to do.

The entire undertray needs to be removed to change oil... Why couldn't there be an easily removable cutout? Instead there's a bajillion torx screws that thread into some cheesy plastic inserts that clip into the subframe and front crossmember.

The seating position is really f*cking weird. The seat is high and the pedals are close. The dashboard is really high so the seat itself can't go lower... but why are the pedals so low? Raise the floor with a false floor or something and move the pedals up the firewall, geez.

The exhaust is a smidgen too quiet... I don't want to pay for a catback, lol.

The two mode shocks are garbage. They go from underdamped (wallowed quite a bit at VIR, South Bend was massively entertaining exiting the uphill esses sideways then flopping to the other side and drifting through south bend, lol. Favorite part of the track at VIR, haha) yet still too harsh to being massively overdamped (car skipping across pavement at autocross) and VERY harsh. I have no idea how they managed to make dampers that are so oddly tuned.

Ok, I think I'm done complaining, had to get that out of my system.

Like I said, the car is hilariously fun to drive and it's got "enough" power for my tastes for street use... It has plenty of issues that a car not built on a Friday afternoon wouldn't have... The PTU leak & rattles are extremely common, but most of the other issues and complaints I have are just me being picky.

Anybody is welcome to a ride at an autocross any time, to show what the car can do It's not slow, and the hype about the performance is real, it's freaking hilariously fun romping on the power and drifting out of corners while simultaneously planting your ass firmly in the seat... and that's in "Normal" mode. Track mode is even more wild... and I see no real need for drift mode, you can drift it plenty easily in track mode, and it's not like I'm a f'ing drift king, my only "drift" experience is when a car oversteers by accident...

Dave, the RS would probably get its ass handed to it at Shenadoah by my BRZ... but I base that opinion on the Cup 2's performance at VIR. The RE-71Rs I use for autocross would likely make the difference, but I'd destroy them in a day, I fear. If you're ever up this way or I'm down that way, you're welcome to take it for a spin. I doubt it'll get you out of the Camaro, power is addicting That said, there's videos of mildly tuned RS's (tune only, no parts) destroying modded SS's from a dig and even taking them from a roll ;)

Also, I spotted a white Mk3 RS (same generation as mine) down here in Mexico, and 30 seconds later a Mk3 ST like we get in the States. Earlier today I spotted a Mk2 ST. I also saw a Mustang club out for a cruise. Pretty good day for car spotting in Mexico City

Last edited by DocWalt; 12-11-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #58
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Thanks for the support, gents.

There's the PTU leak issue (transfer case) which seems like a plague at the moment. Huge quantities of people with issues... Mine's leaking, of course. Minor leak, but is it really that hard to assemble a car without destroying the seals in a part?
WTF Ford

Quote:
Plenty of people have issues with the transmission leaking too...
this is basic stuff

Quote:
Then the b-pillar rattles... The metal panels in the b-pillar need to be separated a smidge between the spot welds to break the dry anti-corrosion agent. Once the bond in the material is broken it's quiet... but you have to do every seam and there's about 100 different places that can & will cause noise in each B pillar.

Quote:
My paint quality is horrific. My passenger fender may need a repaint (paint is all crackly looking and there's a spot that appears to not have clear coat as it's only "kinda" shiny... it was shiny and smooth before) and I already had the hood repainted...
warranty that...Ford had paint issues on the new mustang too and covered those.

Quote:
There are lots of other weird rattles that are cheap car problems (I understand the RS is based on a cheapo Focus... but my ****ty Aveo rental this week is rattle free, what the flying f*ck Ford?)
The camaro has developed a noise from the rear over certain bumps when in track mode. i'm going to make sure the rear seats are clipped in. Other than that, the car has been eerily silent. Even my 911 had rattles and squeaks, so this has been a nice change. Much more GTI like, but I guess when it uses a Cadillac platform, it should be a little quieter.

Quote:
The complete lack of front end camber adjustment is a massive failure for a "track ready" car, IMO. It only held up OK because I wasn't going balls out.
that is odd, but speaks more to the Focus roots more than anything, IMO.

Quote:
Oil cooling is pitiful, I was cruising at ~275-285 degrees F on track at my pace...
that's way too high! damn, where are the external coolers located? any way to plumb more air to them?

Quote:
Driveline cooling is pitiful too. I had zero issues, even in 80 degree weather... but plenty of other people have had issues.
turbo all wheel drive and it has driveline cooling issues?

Quote:
My exhaust valve is now super squeaky since it got cold out. Minor issue, but it activates the valve every time you open a door to get in... Sounds like sh*t every time I get in the car to drive.
I wonder if that's the same system the GT350 uses in their dual-mode exhaust. Something to look out for. GM changed their dual-mode exhaust from an electronic to a vaccuum-operated system this generation and on some cars it has a rattle issue that gets fixed with some epoxy. knock on wood, but mine has been fine (and is the second revision of the exhaust).

Quote:
My center console makes bizarre creaking noises now that it's cold. I can stop it by shoving the console around, but it'll eventually come back by the end of my drive to work.
Some would call that the raw feel of a performance car. I call it bad harmonic engineering.

Quote:
The floor mats use a different retention than any other Focus... So Weathertech and others have had to make custom mats for the RS. Weathertech finally released theirs a few days ago, so my floors are filthy. Why didn't Ford just use the same retention clip locations as the ST? The floor pan didn't change...
gotta take costs out somewhere?

Quote:
The lack of a proper spare tire is bull****, but seems normal these days.
yeah, with run flats i didn't even get a canister of goo.

Quote:
The TPMS system is stupid as hell. They used a standard 315MHz frequency TPMS, but it uses a really rare protocol signal. Supposedly it's a 3-6 month wait for new TPMS sensors from the dealer... Shops aren't legally allowed to install wheels/tires without TPMS, so idk what happens if you go to a dealer to get a faulty TPMS replaced like some people have had to do.
Tire Rack have them? My car uses the 4xxmhz signal. Makes the sensors stupid expensive, but they do show temperature information which is cool.

Quote:
The entire undertray needs to be removed to change oil... Why couldn't there be an easily removable cutout? Instead there's a bajillion torx screws that thread into some cheesy plastic inserts that clip into the subframe and front crossmember.
Sounds very European. The VW Golf was the same way until VWoA had that fixed. (I know nothing about how that happened)

Quote:
The seating position is really f*cking weird. The seat is high and the pedals are close. The dashboard is really high so the seat itself can't go lower... but why are the pedals so low? Raise the floor with a false floor or something and move the pedals up the firewall, geez.
you just landed on my number one complaint of the Focus and Fiesta ST/RS cars. Compared to the GTI or R, the seating position was just bad. I hated its layout and spacing.

Quote:
The exhaust is a smidgen too quiet... I don't want to pay for a catback, lol.
China and the EU have decibel regulations that Ford is anxious to hit. They did the same thing with the Mustang. (Huge accordion in the exhaust stream).

Quote:
The two mode shocks are garbage. They go from underdamped (wallowed quite a bit at VIR, South Bend was massively entertaining exiting the uphill esses sideways then flopping to the other side and drifting through south bend, lol. Favorite part of the track at VIR, haha) yet still too harsh to being massively overdamped (car skipping across pavement at autocross) and VERY harsh. I have no idea how they managed to make dampers that are so oddly tuned.
That's really weird. Who manufacturers them? The R uses 3-way units from Tenneco (they own Ohlins) that are quite effective, but aren't magnetic. These are the shocks of the future and Bilstein is coming out with aftermarket solutions for these type of factory shocks. Maybe the RS will get them too.

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm done complaining, had to get that out of my system.
buying these cars gives you the right to complain.

Quote:
Like I said, the car is hilariously fun to drive and it's got "enough" power for my tastes for street use... It has plenty of issues that a car not built on a Friday afternoon wouldn't have... The PTU leak & rattles are extremely common, but most of the other issues and complaints I have are just me being picky.
to be fair, i'd be complaining about the same items.

Quote:
Anybody is welcome to a ride at an autocross any time, to show what the car can do It's not slow, and the hype about the performance is real, it's freaking hilariously fun romping on the power and drifting out of corners while simultaneously planting your ass firmly in the seat... and that's in "Normal" mode. Track mode is even more wild... and I see no real need for drift mode, you can drift it plenty easily in track mode, and it's not like I'm a f'ing drift king, my only "drift" experience is when a car oversteers by accident...
i'll definitely take you up on this!

Quote:
Dave, the RS would probably get its ass handed to it at Shenadoah by my BRZ... but I base that opinion on the Cup 2's performance at VIR. The RE-71Rs I use for autocross would likely make the difference, but I'd destroy them in a day, I fear. If you're ever up this way or I'm down that way, you're welcome to take it for a spin. I doubt it'll get you out of the Camaro, power is addicting That said, there's videos of mildly tuned RS's (tune only, no parts) destroying modded SS's from a dig and even taking them from a roll ;)
That would be a lot of fun, and you're more than welcome to try out the SS too. Having passing power at 1200 rpms has been hilarious for me.

Good for the RS with a tune! Stock SS's trap 115-118 depending on DA at the strip, and i'll link to the current bolt on champion below.

Quote:
Also, I spotted a white Mk3 RS (same generation as mine) down here in Mexico, and 30 seconds later a Mk3 ST like we get in the States. Earlier today I spotted a Mk2 ST. I also saw a Mustang club out for a cruise. Pretty good day for car spotting in Mexico City
You boys wanna go down to Mexico??

Here's the current SS bolt on champion:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=10

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #59
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, they're pretty much all warranty issues... but that's an enormous pain in the balls

There isn't an external cooler, just a silly undersized oil/coolant heat exchanger.

Driveline cooling is the ****ty PTU/tcase. The rear diff gets hot but the PTU is ~250F when it shuts off the AWD, IIRC. It's hot because it's under the turbo and they really tried to make it compact. It has a heat exchanger in the coolant loop as well, but it's clearly not adequate for some people.

Tire Rack has TPMS sensors.. sort of. That's a whole other story, lol.

The shocks are 2 ways made by Tenneco. They're craptastic. It's simply a solenoid inside, two wires to each shock. KW makes coilovers for the car, and they include resistor blocks (that are enormously oversized with huge heatsinks) to simulate the solenoids. They don't include top-hats though... Oddly, ST (made by KW...) has rather nice adjustable top hats, but no resistor blocks. You lose Track mode without the shocks being plugged in...

I don't think any bolt-on RS is quite that quick/fast yet... soon (once the E85 support & bigger turbos arrive on the market. FBM has released a ton of teasers of 600+hp...)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #60
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

you could write an email to my buddy at Raceseng. They make some pretty amazing caster-camber plates for the Toyobaru twins. He'd probably be interested if there were a large enough demand for them.