TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Haiti...What's your Take?

So, I wanted to see what everyone elses take was on this disaster. Seems to be a big contraversy with many people. You agree with helping, don't agree?

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

1. We are in too much debt to help other countries.
2. We have plenty of homeless and starving people here that aren't taken care of
3. Haiti is a country that has been given alot of aid money already and has yet to flurish with it. It's time to drop it
4. The geography is bad. It is prown to natural desasters so why keep rebuilding it. It is only logical that bad things will continue.

* If we 'must' send help then send a few soldier with guys and say military law is in effect, you f' up we shoot without question. Then hire our homess/jobless in our country and pay them to go over there and help out. If we are going to spend the money, we might as well help stimulate our economy and help our citizens at the same time.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Naturally its a horrible situation and 100's of thousands of people are w/ out homes and structure. I do agree with Jpalamar in some aspects but one of the things that makes me "Proud to be American" is when our Government jump's at the opportunity to help others (including its own of course). I think if we can, we should, its as simple as that.

Via Colbert's website- www.colbertnation.com

Text the word HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
mr_eh
Tri-State Addict

Member #1149

My Ride:
Zenki S14 - Sold the SRT4

did haiti help out katrina victims? -_-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

no thread for current s2000.
mr_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_eh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
2. We have plenty of homeless and starving people here that aren't taken care of
3. Haiti is a country that has been given alot of aid money already and has yet to flurish with it. It's time to drop it
4. The geography is bad. It is prown to natural desasters so why keep rebuilding it. It is only logical that bad things will continue.

* If we 'must' send help then send a few soldier with guys and say military law is in effect, you f' up we shoot without question. Then hire our homess/jobless in our country and pay them to go over there and help out. If we are going to spend the money, we might as well help stimulate our economy and help our citizens at the same time.
wow you make it sound so simple
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
importpower99
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5620

My Ride:
2012 Xterra Pro 4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_eh View Post
Uhhh yes, they sent $37,000 dollars and they fought in two wars with the US, does that make them good enough now? Because I thought a person was a person? Seriously I don't understand what is wrong with some people sometimes.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by importpower99 View Post
Uhhh yes, they sent $37,000 dollars and they fought in two wars with the US, does that make them good enough now? Because I thought a person was a person? Seriously I don't understand what is wrong with some people sometimes.
People are people. And yes, if any county has the means to help they should... but we don't. Helping on credit doesn't mantain our prosperity. You can't help people until you can help yourself first... and we cant.

Max your own credit card out and send them money if you wanna help. Thats what you expect the US to do.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:

Wow, that is really ****ed up....

I went to a Christian University for a year, so I met a bunch of righteous people. One of my friends, Brittany has been volunteering at an orphanage in Haiti for over a year. Taking online classes at night when the children are sleeping.

http://www.hookedonhaiti.blogspot.com/

Basically all the buildings around the orphanage are down, except the orphanage its self. It has some big cracks, so they have been sleeping on a driveway that they covered in mattresses which we probably wouldn't consider mattresses because the after shocks are big, and still downing buildings. They have food, but not nearly enough to last much longer. The problem is that all the markets and grocery stores are rubble, so they cant just go out and buy food to eat, even though they have the money....

But that's cool... Just let everyone starve to death and live outside... Not a big deal right? God forbid we add a couple more cents to our taxes.

Here is Brittany and the orphanage in their new house...

Last edited by mcperson2k; 01-15-2010 at 12:43 PM.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
importpower99
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5620

My Ride:
2012 Xterra Pro 4X

Quote:
People are people. And yes, if any county has the means to help they should... but we don't. Helping on credit doesn't mantain our prosperity. You can't help people until you can help yourself first... and we cant.

Max your own credit card out and send them money if you wanna help. Thats what you expect the US to do.
You are aware that money is set aside for disasters like this to help people....right?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

I got this from someone on another forum and think they were pretty accurate with what they said.

Sending help, yeah, send medical aid, send food, water, some sort of shelter.. These are human beings, none of them had a choice where they were born, or how they were brought up. Human suffering, you'd think in this day and age it would be gone, but it's not..

I do not agree with sending money.. I dont write checks to people, if the money isnt in the bank, or if I have more pressing issues in my life that need to be taken care of first.. The US is in that position.. If I know someone that needs help, but I have no money to offer, I put my gloves on, put my life on hold and I help.. The odd thing is, help, in the form of actually putting forth effort to help, goes MUCH further than just giving money..

Tell me this, hand those people 1000 bucks each, what good has it done?? Does anyone think they can just go to the store and buy the things they need, go to the hospital? The place is a waste land, WTF are they going to do with money? A 100 bucks, will be cut down to just a few bucks by the time it gets to the people who need it.. On the other hand, give them food, water, shelter, medical care, I'll be damned, you just saved a life.

Thats what people dont get, money doesnt mean a ****ing thing. If I knew that 100 bucks would go towards food, or that 100 bucks would go towards the jet fuel to get other supplies there, every last cent of it, I'd have no problem with giving 100 bucks. Here's the deal, that 100 bucks will be nothing by the time it reaches wherever to do the job I intended it to do.. If we pledged 100 million, every last cent of that 100 million should spent on supplies, from the US, and sent to those who need it, we all know that it wont happen that way.

Yeah we have problems as a country, but one thing that we have is people willing to help, supplies that were produced and stored for just this reason. So use those resources, it will go futher than money..

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
I think we have enough problems of our own that we need to focus on them, then again Imbecile Obama may feel otherwise
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
i think we should send: food, medical supplies, water, equipment to help remove debris, man power to help move debris etc etc.
I do not think we should send them a check.

grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
You are aware that money is set aside for disasters like this to help people....right?
Are you aware we have a deficit?? and until that is settled there shouldn't be aid money set aside for aid.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
2 much $mok3
Noob-Jersey

Member #15340

My Ride:
95 s14 S-ARRRGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
i think we should send: food, medical supplies, water, equipment to help remove debris, man power to help move debris etc etc.
I do not think we should send them a check.
So go out to the store, buy these things, and send them to Haiti if you feel that way. Actually, just bring the supplies with you when you go there to move debris with your man power. Posting a reply on TST sure isnt helping them any lol.
2 much $mok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 much $mok3 View Post
So go out to the store, buy these things, and send them to Haiti if you feel that way. Actually, just bring the supplies with you when you go there to move debris with your man power. Posting a reply on TST sure isnt helping them any lol.
And neither has the money that we have sent them in the past. We have sent millions over and all it is, is probably pocket change to the corrupt politicians over there. The money just goes into the wrong hands over there. How about $800 million from 2004-2008. That obviously wasn't enought to help.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
mr_eh
Tri-State Addict

Member #1149

My Ride:
Zenki S14 - Sold the SRT4

Quote:
did they really now? that's nice... i didnt say we shouldnt help them or that they werent people... also what wars did they fight?

http://www.america.gov/st/foraid-eng...0.8872644.html

Quote:
15 September 2008
U.S. Provides $19.5 Million to Help Haiti Recover from Storms

Read more: http://www.america.gov/st/foraid-eng...#ixzz0chV5FRIX

no thread for current s2000.
mr_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

You guys act like donating money, results in someone going door to door handing out cash. Most money donated to any disaster, helps the US to help the victims... Like buying MORE food, water, clothes, setting up camps, etc....
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
You guys act like donating money, results in someone going door to door handing out cash. Most money donated to any disaster, helps the US to help the victims... Like buying MORE food, water, clothes, setting up camps, etc....
exactly... our government isn't sending 100 mil in cash to their doorstep.

unfortunately there is so much corruption on our own soil that the money that is actually used to help will be significantly less that what has been sent over... that 100 mil is going to line some pockets and send some bread and water over
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
importpower99
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5620

My Ride:
2012 Xterra Pro 4X

Quote:
Are you aware we have a deficit?? and until that is settled there shouldn't be aid money set aside for aid.
Are you aware we have a budget of allocated expenses each year? Did you think that you pay taxes and then they just burn your money?

And when they say donate money, they don't just hand out money to individual people. Seriously, where do all these dumba** people come from. The money goes to different organizations who in turn buy the products, supplies, and services they need.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Wow, that is really ****ed up....
You say this... but what have you done to help other countries in your life. Are you in debt because you sent them money/aid that you didn't have. Did you ever volentee to go overseas to help clean up after a disaster. Until you do this, don't talk to me about my additite. If it weren't for people that had the guts to just say we can't afford this, we would have an even bigger deficit then we already do.