TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
willits8
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19232

My Ride:
2004 Mazda Rx8

ebay parts?

Has anyone ever tried those really cheep parts on ebay, like the ebay turbos that just sound too good, some even guarantee like 50hp gains but does anyone know if it will last more then a day without distroying your engine?
willits8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
I don't really know why people make these posts when they know full well what the answers are. No, they suck. They blow seals, rarely fit correctly, and don't make squat for power compared to buying a Garrett or Precision or Borg Warner etc etc etc.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
I just ordered an ebay clutch. Same one I had in the car that lasted 2 hard years. For $150 ill take me chances again. I'm still waiting for this transmission to grenade so I'm not spending a fortune on a clutch lol
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
willits8
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19232

My Ride:
2004 Mazda Rx8

^ thats what I was thinking, some of the parts are soo cheep that i could replace them like 3 times before buying a brand name one, so it seams that even if they only last half as long as something brand name they could still be worth the money
willits8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Its the same logic as slapping a maaco paint job on your car. You can paint it every year ten years in a row for what a decent ten year paint job would cost you anyway.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
What is your time worth to you? How much money do you really think you're saving if you have to put a new clutch in your car every 2 years? My Action 2MD has been in my car since I did the engine 4 years ago, and it shows no signs of giving up anytime soon. My daily still has the original clutch in it and it drives fine. Same with my bike.

You do realize that putting a $150 clutch in every two years is more expensive than putting a $300 one in every six years right? Not to mention the hours you spend putting it in that you are wasting. Again, what is your time worth to you?

Look, the answer is pretty simple. Do they work, yes. Can you make them work, yes. Will they fail far before anything else that you'd spend real money on? YES! Plus, like I said, the chinese turbo's have a tendency to blow seals if you push them more than 15psi, they don't have anti-surge ports, shaped or clipped fins, or ball bearing abilities so they don't spool well or make good power for the boost you're pushing, and then you have the rate of terminal failure which is also ridiculously high.

Look, I use ebay parts all the time. My entire bike is covered in parts from ebay. But they're fairings, handlebar grips, levers, seat covers, etc. The brake pads are Honda, the engine covers and gaskets are all Honda. Get what I'm saying?

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Things with non-moving parts, and none electronic stuff sure. For example, nothing at all wrong with a ebay short ram or cold air intake.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Its a project car with a questionable trans that takes me an hour to do a clutch. And a $300 clutch would probably last me just as long. Believe me, when I'm finally ready top put the car together "for the last time" it will be with all quality parts. But for now, I can't afford to do what I really want with it, so ebay and maaco it is! Lol
Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Send a message via AIM to BigWhiteTodd
i bought body stuff for my truck fit good, anything else like turbos nah im good send the money and do it right.
BigWhiteTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
daewoo
Tri-State Addict

Member #13542

My Ride:
gsr civic and goped sport

Send a message via AIM to daewoo
Dont buy anything ebay that matters
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I bought rotors and pads all the way arround for my GTO for $250 shipped on eBay. Had them on my car for 9k miles now and they still work perfect. From under 100MPH they are every bit as good as my old DBA 4000XS and Hawk setup that was near $1000.

You don't always need top of the line parts depending on how you plan on using the car. If you want just a little more HP and don't plan on beating the living piss out of it I bet a eBay turbo would be decent bang for the buck. Just be sure to let the car warm alittle more then you normally would and don't just pull up to a parking spot and shut it off. Let it run a minute or so first or get a turbo timer.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
I wouldnt buy any ebay stuff that has moving parts. Intercooler piping? Intakes? Exhaust? **** yeah.

A turbo? No friggin way.

Hell, I wont even buy **** from Megan Racing because its such garbage!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
Basically if you want to be able to pop your hood and look at all the cool shiney **** youve got under there, buy everything off ebay.

If you actually plan on DRIVING your car, reconsider.

Ebay parts are about the best way to make your car go from "Honda reliability" to "DSM reliability."
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
nissamax
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9190

My Ride:
Magic Carpet

Send a message via AIM to nissamax
i bought an ebay exhaust for my subaru 150 shipped! compaired to 600 it looks decent ive had it for 2 years no rust. sounds perfect.
and a bunch of body parts that fit perfect.

probibly would never buy a turbo/ clutch because if those fail and break stuff it cost lots of money to fix.

but i have heard somewhere of people buying these ebay turbos and they work really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
nissamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
JankyS13
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15373

My Ride:
91.S13.KA-T

FMIC, Heat Shields, Shift Knobs, Short Throw's, reservoirs, charge piping, FMIC, strut bars adn such sure why not?

Turbo's? only if I plan on taking it to get rebuilt w true garret "now Honeywell" parts once it gets delivered.
JankyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
KustomZ03
Tri-State Addict

Member #7473

My Ride:
[Cobalt SS/SC][xD][Wrangler]

Send a message via AIM to KustomZ03
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissamax View Post
i bought an ebay exhaust for my subaru 150 shipped! compaired to 600 it looks decent ive had it for 2 years no rust. sounds perfect.
and a bunch of body parts that fit perfect.

probibly would never buy a turbo/ clutch because if those fail and break stuff it cost lots of money to fix.

but i have heard somewhere of people buying these ebay turbos and they work really well.
ebay exhausts are the shiz if you dont want to spend alot of money.
KustomZ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

You get what you pay for. Plain and simple.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
JankyS13
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15373

My Ride:
91.S13.KA-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
You get what you pay for. Plain and simple.
So the equation here is, even if you win a low low bid on a good named part off egay, that its **** right?
JankyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JankyS13 View Post
So the equation here is, even if you win a low low bid on a good named part off egay, that its **** right?
But we are not talking about "good named parts" from Ebay, we are talking about "Ebay brand parts" from Ebay. But I'll work with what you gave me:

If you find the deal of a lifetime, for arguments sake let's go with something easy like a set of Volk TE37 wheels. The pictures look good, and the seller says the wheels are in great shape he just "needs to move them quick, because he is moving and can't take them with him" or some over used common excuse that follows those lines, which is why they are priced at, oh let's say 600$. Will excitement over take you or will you start to think that something is fishy about these wheels? Again for arguments sake, let's say excitement wins and you buy them. You just got a good name brand item from Ebay at a stupid low price, now just because they are a good name brand item doesn't mean they may not be hiding lots of imperfections (I don't care what the seller's seller rating is). So you get your wheels and within days you find some hairline cracks and some bends, and all kinds of things that make you realize, you got what you paid for.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but for the most part, use your head.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

I disagre here... It depends on what you're comparing the part to. How many parts are manufacutred in China right next to the ebay generics?

I had a turbonetics 50trim .42AR turbo on my Del Sol. It failed two times before I sold it. All within a year...

I had a ebay 50trim laying around that I paid like 150 for. I put it on the car and it was perfect... It was on the car for over a year with NO problems, no smoke, shaft play or anything. The turbonetics had seals blowing every time...
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote