TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
Who has had surgery?

So I just got back from my "pre-surgery consultation". I'm going on the 22nd to have surgery on my elbow. It's nothing serious, it's just to remove loose bodies through a small incision. They'll be putting me under general anesthesia. I've never been completely under, or had surgery. Who else has had surgery? I'm actually really excited, because I've pretty much not been able to use my right arm for any strenuous activity at all for a few years now. (which really sucks because I had to quit bowling, and I was a pretty competitive bowler. I really miss it) I'll be in a sling for 10 days afterward. Any advice? Hints tips tricks? The one thing I'm not happy about is not being able to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before.
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

Never had surgery like that. I had a broken molar that had to be cut out of my jaw. that was nasty. I was put under but i remember smelling something? I assumed it was the bone being cut Good luck though. im stoked for you to get your elbow back.

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
RisR32
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1052

My Ride:
04 VW R32-sold, 06 Audi 2.0t - sold, 08 boxster - sold, 11 A4 Avant - sold, 12' Audi TT-RS

Send a message via AIM to RisR32
I have had many surgery's, the worst part is the soreness that comes during the healing process. Also when you wake up, you may say some funny things. It's not that bad.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Nick Merrone
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10807

My Ride:
c18det hatch

Send a message via AIM to Nick Merrone
goodluck dude. I've never had surgery but many many many nights in the hospital.
Nick Merrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

lol i remember thinking i was blowing a bubble when i first woke up. I just had my tongue sticking out.

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
blkZ06
Tri-State Addict

Member #3188

My Ride:
03 Z06, 01 Z06, 99 Viper GTS, 05 F250, 00 M5

Send a message via AIM to blkZ06
Stick to the nothing to eat or drink thing, if you end up getting sick from the anesthesia you don't want to puke up a whole pizza while your sitting in the hospital bed. Waking up is an interesting process Ris is right you might say some really stupid stuff but its all good one of the surgeries I had after my accident I was apparently asking everyone if they had my sunglasses.

Odds are they will give you pain killers, be easy if you've never taken them before and stop taking them as soon as you can don't use them as a crutch to get through soreness suck it up and work through it.
99 Viper GTS - 488 Cam 500rwhp/550rwtq
04 2500 - 402 GT80 & S364 - 750rwhp/1300rwtq

Last edited by blkZ06; 05-07-2009 at 10:07 AM.
blkZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I've had some crazy head surgury in my lifetime...I have hydrocephullus (spelling is way off haha...) and have had 4 major suguries because of it. It's basically a natural valve in my head to regulate spinal fluid in my head (you have natural glands usually.. mine don't work lol). I suck at waking up from it and was always freakin out for a good couple mins.

Nothin to a minor surgury tho man. Just stay calm and listen to the doctors after and you'll be fine.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
R_Rambo
Tri-State Addict

Member #8452

My Ride:
11' WRX Hatch

I have had surgery a couple times, afterwards I get sick from anestheisa. same thing blkZ06 said dont just eat everything you can good chance its gonna come back up a lot of people get that reaction afterwards. I usually try jello or something very light first and if that stays down I gradually start eating more solid things. ha but you could also be like my dad and not get sick at all and after surgery order everything on the hospital menu and chow down
R_Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

I've been put completely under, tubes down the throat, and put on life support for surgery once. that was nutty. i remember being put under, my eyes were open.. but everything just started blacking out from the sides of my eyes to the middle, and I remember saying to the doctor "is there going to be a VHS of this surgery?" hahahaha. I remember waking up with the sorest and dryest throat every because of the tubes. And I wasn't allowed to drink anything for 2 hours after the surgery. it was torture sitting there with a dry scratched up throat feeling like I was floating on pluto.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
lagos
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #989

My Ride:
Toyota Celica GT-Two

Here is how it goes..
You lay on the hospital bed when they administer the anesthesia. Then the next thing you know, your in the recovery room and your arm is in a sling. Thats it.

The accelerator on my toyota has always been stuck to the floor..
lagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
k!mmy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13481

My Ride:
Invisible G35

Send a message via AIM to k!mmy
I recently just had major surgery this past April on my hip.... they put tubes down my throat like some people have mentioned - which does suck cause you do wake up feeling like youve got a dry scratchy throat. It doesnt sound like yours will be too extensive, when they did mine, they cut my muscle and regraphed it (in my hip,to knee) to make it longer, removed the bursa and shaved down my hip bone....along with removing scar tissue... .Recovery is still happening, Im not 100% yet but the sooner you move around the faster you heal, just as long as your gentle with it. I imagine you should be good to go in no time... I was up and hobbling around in the first 5 days... You might also wake up from the anesthesia with the shakes/chills. That's happened to me every time. DO NOT EAT no matter what, before surgery cause if they find out you did, they will postpone your surgery.
k!mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k!mmy View Post
I recently just had major surgery this past April on my hip.... they put tubes down my throat like some people have mentioned - which does suck cause you do wake up feeling like youve got a dry scratchy throat. It doesnt sound like yours will be too extensive, when they did mine, they cut my muscle and regraphed it (in my hip,to knee) to make it longer, removed the bursa and shaved down my hip bone....along with removing scar tissue... .Recovery is still happening, Im not 100% yet but the sooner you move around the faster you heal, just as long as your gentle with it. I imagine you should be good to go in no time... I was up and hobbling around in the first 5 days... You might also wake up from the anesthesia with the shakes/chills. That's happened to me every time. DO NOT EAT no matter what, before surgery cause if they find out you did, they will postpone your surgery.
tubes suck lol..

they had to do the tubes/life support because they were doing surgery right under my collar bone on my neck, so if they hit a major vein/artery i'd be safer on the machines. Probably the same thing with you.. there are huge veins and arteries in that area.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

They'll tell you to count backwards from 10. They'll give you the drugs, you'll get to 8 or 7, you'll be asleep, you'll get an anal probe, then you'll wake up.

Nothing to worry about.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyREX View Post
They'll tell you to count backwards from 10. They'll give you the drugs, you'll get to 8 or 7, you'll be asleep, you'll get an anal probe, then you'll wake up.

Nothing to worry about.
lol, the drug thing is true

I stuck to the ate nothing/drink nothing and thankfully i did, because I woke up throwing up on myself already. No sense getting all nervous cause all you do is pass out...then wake up afterwords and that's the surgery. Just hope you don't wake up with a different arm or an opposed elbow.....
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
turbo88crx
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4447

My Ride:
93 full size blazer, 93 240sx, 76 jaguar, 93 del slo

Send a message via AIM to turbo88crx
I've had 5 surgeries, and def the worst part is the recovery. I had a screw put in my hip, my right hand basically rebuilt, a sist cut off my chin, tendons reattached in my shoulder after a dislocation, and a blood vessle tied off in my forehead. The worst was def the screw in the hip, u don't realize how much you use it till it hurts when you move it lol. The anestisia isn't badfor most people, def don't eat and you'll wake up like me askin for a genos steak lol. But some people wake up wierd from it. My fathers side has a reaction to it. After my uncle woke up from his heart surgery he tried to beat the doc up and choke him with his stethiscope, ripped his gown off and tried to walk outa the hospital naked lmfao and he's 6'3 about 300lbs. Minus it bein scary we all laugh our a55e5 off @ it now. And when I went in to see my father after his, he asked me if he was alive lmfao than asked if I took care of all the buisness stuff. Talk about 1 extreme to the other hahaha. You'll be fine just do what they say.
93 del slo (d/d)
76 jaguar (minor work left)
turbo88crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
turbo88crx
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4447

My Ride:
93 full size blazer, 93 240sx, 76 jaguar, 93 del slo

Send a message via AIM to turbo88crx
Ohh btw when you go into the surgery room look around @ all the tools they use, you'll be stunned how many of them you have @ home lmfao.

Stop by ill do your surgery, but I'm short the anestesia lmfao
93 del slo (d/d)
76 jaguar (minor work left)
turbo88crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
i got a titanium plate in my hand to correct a broken overlapping bone, they put me under and when i woke up i was swinging my fists and trying to hit people. lol.
fballman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballman1987 View Post
i got a titanium plate in my hand to correct a broken overlapping bone, they put me under and when i woke up i was swinging my fists and trying to hit people. lol.
Probably a terrible idea had you landed one with that freshly fixed hand
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
fballman1987
Tri-State Addict

Member #2928

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to fballman1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakes View Post
Probably a terrible idea had you landed one with that freshly fixed hand
yea thankfully i was in a room by myself.. my mom still makes fun of me. jokes on her she had to feed me.
fballman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
JB'sLGT
Tri-State Addict

Member #10156

My Ride:
05 Legacy GT, 97 M3

Surgery isn't a real big deal. The thing that bothered me was the accidental death waiver they made me sign and everyone else that goes under general anesthesia. If I died from getting my broken nose reset I was gonna haunt the s*** out of them.

Anyway, I agree to try and get off the pain meds ASAP though. I threw out my meds immediately when I realized I could deal with the pain. I definitely didn't want to start a habit.

Funny story though, the first time I hazily woke up after they reset my broken nose, I noticed the doctors and nurses had blood splattered all over them. 4 hours later (I thought it was like 10 minutes lol) when I finally woke up fully, I asked them what happened and the nurse said I started violently coughing blood all over them. I said oh my bad.