TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Honda / Acura Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
this thread sucks huge, as huge as the OPs forehead
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #42
Dominick
Tri-State Addict

Member #22876

My Ride:
1999 Honda Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
All you have to say is, "Not really." And then supply some form of proof to your claim. I would love to know more about what one needs to go boost. So please, tell me. Don't ****in blast me by telling me to stop talking, then not tell me how I'm wrong.

/rant
Dominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC View Post
this thread sucks huge, as huge as the OPs forehead
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #44
ExpresS
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16208

My Ride:
2000 GSR

I wish i was cool enough to cyber bully.
ExpresS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #45
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpresS View Post
I wish i was cool enough to cyber bully.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #46
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj3...c#.UKgyu4b4KWk
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #47
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
All you have to say is, "Not really." And then supply some form of proof to your claim. I would love to know more about what one needs to go boost. So please, tell me. Don't ****in blast me by telling me to stop talking, then not tell me how I'm wrong.

/rant
Why are you so hype, man? We're all playing nice here and nobody blasted you at all. If you're getting this upset over a humorous .gif and an invitation to do your own research on the topic, then you should probably take a deep breath before posting. There is no right way to build a car, but there not so intelligent ways as well as there are better ways and OGs typically know enough to offer some insight, but usually are not going to do the footwork for you as they had to do it themselves. It's a right of passage, man.

If I was being as nasty as you're acting like, I would have told you to stop being such a ninny, learn how to use the search function/ Google, and mutter something about how we don't spoon feed the new kids. Research and time should be put in before posting questions about an intended set-up, and it's apparent that both were a bit lacking in the OPs post. Not the end of the world.
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Dominick
Tri-State Addict

Member #22876

My Ride:
1999 Honda Civic Si

Quote:
Why are you so hype, man? We're all playing nice here and nobody blasted you at all. If you're getting this upset over a humorous .gif and an invitation to do your own research on the topic, then you should probably take a deep breath before posting. There is no right way to build a car, but there not so intelligent ways as well as there are better ways and OGs typically know enough to offer some insight, but usually are not going to do the footwork for you as they had to do it themselves. It's a right of passage, man.

If I was being as nasty as you're acting like, I would have told you to stop being such a ninny, learn how to use the search function/ Google, and mutter something about how we don't spoon feed the new kids. Research and time should be put in before posting questions about an intended set-up, and it's apparent that both were a bit lacking in the OPs post. Not the end of the world.
i wasn't asking for a lecture on how to do the entire job. OG's can't have enough tolerance to type another 4 words and share some of their "all powerful" and "respected" knowledge" with "n00bs?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
With the EK hatchs being as light as they are, and his VTEC engaging at 4800, I can certainly see him pulling on K20s and some SRT4's.

JDMTyler, I would go the Buddy Club N/A motor route you had listed. EVERYONE turbos Honda's. It's getting to monotonus. It takes more ability to build a N/A motor and have it beat boosted cars.

I'd get some 700ish injectors and maybe a ITR throttle body to add to your list.
"Not really Dominick. EK hatches aren't as light as some say they are. And...blah blah blah (about how staged SRT4s are SOOOOOO fast). And turbo'ed builds are just as difficult as all motor builds, maybe even more. And you wouldn't need 700cc injectors at all. You'd need....(enter correct info here)."

That would have sufficed. Short, sweet and too the point. OG's don't earn respect from n00bs because the treat them like ****. And they wonder why we, n00bs ask such retarded questions.
Dominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #49
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Were you talking about yourself or me in that reply?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #50
PunkboySL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7050

My Ride:
Saturns> 94' SW2, 94' SC2

Send a message via AIM to PunkboySL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
Stop. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

OP, I don't think you know what it takes to do either build, so I would just leave it the way it is. Your mod list is... all over the place. You've addressed all the wrong areas, under addressed some of the most crucial, and completely missed the rest.
I didn't read through the entire thread, but Aaron pretty much got it right here.

I'll say something from personal experience, when you boost something and you want it to last make sure you build with quality parts where it matters (turbo, wastegate, BOV, intercooler, etc) and absolutely make sure that it is tuned properly. People said I shouldn't have ran 11psi on a T3 on a stock saturn motor for months and months without it melting pistons, breaking ring lands etc etc. Well I did just that with a slapped together turbo kit and a good tune. I doubled factory horsepower at only 7 psi and the car has been running reliably (minus a few things not having to do with being boosted) for over a year and the same motor was in my other car which was also running 11psi on a bigger turbo, was beaten on a lot, taken to the track, ran on the dyno, and driven everywhere.

Basically if you're going to boost it do a lot of research and learn what it takes exactly to turbo your car and have it be reliable. People make it sound a lot more difficult than it actually is because well, people are generally stupid and don't know how to build cars lol. That is why they blow up their ****.

Also, 700cc injectors for an N/A B series build lolol WUT?! You sir need to stop the advice giving until you learn some more about automobiles.
96 Saturn SL2m - built, then wrecked [RIP]

Last edited by PunkboySL2; 11-19-2012 at 10:06 PM.
PunkboySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #51
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

I'm confused, you told him to use quality parts and than you said you used a slapped together turbo kit. Slapped together doesn't typically mean quality?
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
redtoprps13
Tri-State Addict

Member #7485

My Ride:
1998 integra ls/1993 eg hatch

Send a message via AIM to redtoprps13
a pieced together kit using quality parts will typically be better than a shelf kit since it will be tailored to your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
redtoprps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #53
JerzyVR4
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #23290

My Ride:
1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4

Im not to into hondas myself so maybe all im about to say is worthless but for "most cars" my info is correct. But Boosting is NOT easy by any means. The power gains from a turbo are much greater then a 4 cyl NA. From my personal experience if you want to go NA get a v8 or bigger. Anything smaller then a v8 should be boosted by a turbo. For instance you do not hear about the amazing NA Supra's, you only hear about the Single turbo ones. As far as blowing up your motor from boosting. You need to be smart do your services on an engine and make sure its in good running condition, 60/120k services. Then you need to be able to log for Knock or Reduction in Timing, check your air/fuel ratios. you always want to have 0 knock from my experience but i have herd of some people doing fine with 44 counts of knock in an EVO believe it or not. Ebay kits i have no experience with. But i can tell you the bigger the turbo the more lag you will have. I would suggest staying away from Meth/alch inject because the pump can go bad suddenly or Seize, There goes your motor right there if you don't know about it. Hope i shed-ed some light on your situation.
JerzyVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Dominick
This message has been deleted by Got Insulin?. Reason: name calling
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM
redtoprps13
This message has been deleted by Got Insulin?. Reason: name calling
Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #54
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
Were you talking about yourself or me in that reply?
I was actually implying Aaron there, but forgot that you've also had a few fast Hondas, among other things.
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #55
Eion
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15011

My Ride:
I couldn't find my vtec, but I has boost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyVR4 View Post
Im not to into hondas myself so maybe all im about to say is worthless but for "most cars" my info is correct. But Boosting is NOT easy by any means. The power gains from a turbo are much greater then a 4 cyl NA. From my personal experience if you want to go NA get a v8 or bigger. Anything smaller then a v8 should be boosted by a turbo. For instance you do not hear about the amazing NA Supra's, you only hear about the Single turbo ones. As far as blowing up your motor from boosting. You need to be smart do your services on an engine and make sure its in good running condition, 60/120k services. Then you need to be able to log for Knock or Reduction in Timing, check your air/fuel ratios. you always want to have 0 knock from my experience but i have herd of some people doing fine with 44 counts of knock in an EVO believe it or not. Ebay kits i have no experience with. But i can tell you the bigger the turbo the more lag you will have. I would suggest staying away from Meth/alch inject because the pump can go bad suddenly or Seize, There goes your motor right there if you don't know about it. Hope i shed-ed some light on your situation.
^^ def. if you're gonna go turbo don't make the mistake of immediately putting it on your car when you don't even have all of the parts necessary to get it up and running right, just collect parts, gauges, and other random **** you need. just like what everyone else says, it's all in a proper tune and with a healthy motor.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #56
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
I was actually implying Aaron there, but forgot that you've also had a few fast Hondas, among other things.
HAHA thanks

Been into turbo hondas since 99. I remember when I made over 300 at the wheels in 99 and had one of the first AEM beta boxes and that was "alot" of power. Now it seems like no one cares unless you make over 1000 at the wheels.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
I like how the OP hasn't even commented/chimed in since the 6th post.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #58
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
LOL, so sig worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
Not really Dominick. EK hatches aren't as light as some say they are. And...blah blah blah (about how staged SRT4s are SOOOOOO fast). And turbo'ed builds are just as difficult as all motor builds, maybe even more. And you wouldn't need 700cc injectors at all. You'd need....(enter correct info here)."

That would have sufficed. Short, sweet and too the point. OG's don't earn respect from n00bs because the treat them like ****. And they wonder why we, n00bs ask such retarded questions.
Couple of points here.

1) I told you to stop talking because you were making a complete ass of yourself. I know you are new, that's why I really didn't pick you apart like I so easily could have. I just don't like it when people are telling everyone things as if they know, when I know that you have no idea what it means when an injector is rated for 700CC/min or 50lb/hr. Infact I'd be willing to bet that you didn't even know that they were rated on any time scale at all, lol.

Anyone here who has met me or asked me a question knows that I am only too happy to answer any question they ask me if I feel as if they've researched some themselves and want clarification. I also don't claim to know all, and if I don't know I don't have a problem saying that I don't. There are plenty of people who I look to if i have questions as well, I'm not really that old myself.

2) I don't ask many questions. Most of the time, you can find the answer that you are looking for with google, or by going out and trying it yourself. Most kids don't seem to pick that idea up.

When I was 17, my dad and I put a Jackson Racing supercharger on my car. When I was 18, I took it off and went turbo. I taught myself how to tune my own car with the help of Steve Pearson. I hit 325whp on a single cam when I was 20, dad helped me build the engine and I built the rest myself, self tuned. I finally made 400whp 2 years later on E85, which at the time most people still weren't running. Last year I broke it all down and got ambitious, now I'm going for 800whp, self tuned, self fabricated. I still have a lot to learn, guys like underpressure are the type of guys I used to "look up" to when I was younger, building my first boosted car, learning from them and reading about there experiences online. Back then, those guys had to fight like hell to make 350whp on a Honda, kids now take it for granted.

3) Honestly, I think you (Dominick) have the desire to do something. The OP of this thread, he has just traded the same car for a different shade of gray thirty times, and I know he won't put in the effort to learn and will likely fail. Sorry that I came off like an asshole, and I applaud you not trying to argue with me and instead just asking for a little respect and an explanation.

Not to drag this post out any longer, but I'll go ahead and show you where you are wrong.

VTEC engagement being set lower is not usually a good thing. If you need to read more into it, go here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k

While he says 4500rpm, he is talking about a stock, normal car. The low cam makes more torque at lower engine speeds than the high cam. In order to correctly set it, you need to find the point at which the torque from the low cam crosses the torque from the high cam, and that is your engagement point. Smooth transition, and will make the most horsepower through the entire powerband. Setting it too low will cost you power, not make more.

Throttle bodies and stockish replacement intake manifolds do very little for an N/A Honda. IMs are extremely technical, and you would honestly need to be more familiar with fluid mechanics and aerodynamics for me to really discuss it further, but all in all you should have correct runner length for your build, velocity stacks at each runner, and better yet, ITBs.

Injectors are rated in either CC/min or lb/hr. Both are getting at the same thing, but are in different units. Since this is Honda, we'll stick to CC. Cubic centimeters is a volume. So a 700cc/min can discharge 700ccs of fuel in one minute at maximum. There are mathematical formulas to determine roughly how much injector you need for your power, and it depends on everything from the fuel pressure you are using, the number of injectors, the type of fuel, and even the RPM. While it is ok to shoot high and not use it all, a 200whp on gas needs around 300cc/min. Using an injector that can output over twice as much fuel is not only a waste, but it becomes inaccurate. Imagine trying to fill your bowl of cereal in the morning using the spicket on the milk truck. Will you get milk in your cereal? Yep, and on the floor, your pants, etc. Same idea with too big of an injector, a high output injector trying to make low outputs will make partial throttle messy and maybe even full throttle if its just too big. That being said, there are new injectors on the market that are much much more accurate at bigger sizes, but they are quite expensive too.

Yay for Wednesday off.

Quote:

Last edited by SovXietday; 11-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #59
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I feel like I just got raped with information.

Didn't have a reason to learn it, but didn't know it and learned it anyway.

Not sure if thankful, or time wasted :P

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #60
redtoprps13
Tri-State Addict

Member #7485

My Ride:
1998 integra ls/1993 eg hatch

Send a message via AIM to redtoprps13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
LOL, so sig worthy.

Couple of points here.

1) I told you to stop talking because you were making a complete ass of yourself. I know you are new, that's why I really didn't pick you apart like I so easily could have. I just don't like it when people are telling everyone things as if they know, when I know that you have no idea what it means when an injector is rated for 700CC/min or 50lb/hr. Infact I'd be willing to bet that you didn't even know that they were rated on any time scale at all, lol.

Anyone here who has met me or asked me a question knows that I am only too happy to answer any question they ask me if I feel as if they've researched some themselves and want clarification. I also don't claim to know all, and if I don't know I don't have a problem saying that I don't. There are plenty of people who I look to if i have questions as well, I'm not really that old myself.

2) I don't ask many questions. Most of the time, you can find the answer that you are looking for with google, or by going out and trying it yourself. Most kids don't seem to pick that idea up.

When I was 17, my dad and I put a Jackson Racing supercharger on my car. When I was 18, I took it off and went turbo. I taught myself how to tune my own car with the help of Steve Pearson. I hit 325whp on a single cam when I was 20, dad helped me build the engine and I built the rest myself, self tuned. I finally made 400whp 2 years later on E85, which at the time most people still weren't running. Last year I broke it all down and got ambitious, now I'm going for 800whp, self tuned, self fabricated. I still have a lot to learn, guys like underpressure are the type of guys I used to "look up" to when I was younger, building my first boosted car, learning from them and reading about there experiences online. Back then, those guys had to fight like hell to make 350whp on a Honda, kids now take it for granted.

3) Honestly, I think you (Dominick) have the desire to do something. The OP of this thread, he has just traded the same car for a different shade of gray thirty times, and I know he won't put in the effort to learn and will likely fail. Sorry that I came off like an asshole, and I applaud you not trying to argue with me and instead just asking for a little respect and an explanation.

Not to drag this post out any longer, but I'll go ahead and show you where you are wrong.

VTEC engagement being set lower is not usually a good thing. If you need to read more into it, go here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k

While he says 4500rpm, he is talking about a stock, normal car. The low cam makes more torque at lower engine speeds than the high cam. In order to correctly set it, you need to find the point at which the torque from the low cam crosses the torque from the high cam, and that is your engagement point. Smooth transition, and will make the most horsepower through the entire powerband. Setting it too low will cost you power, not make more.

Throttle bodies and stockish replacement intake manifolds do very little for an N/A Honda. IMs are extremely technical, and you would honestly need to be more familiar with fluid mechanics and aerodynamics for me to really discuss it further, but all in all you should have correct runner length for your build, velocity stacks at each runner, and better yet, ITBs.

Injectors are rated in either CC/min or lb/hr. Both are getting at the same thing, but are in different units. Since this is Honda, we'll stick to CC. Cubic centimeters is a volume. So a 700cc/min can discharge 700ccs of fuel in one minute at maximum. There are mathematical formulas to determine roughly how much injector you need for your power, and it depends on everything from the fuel pressure you are using, the number of injectors, the type of fuel, and even the RPM. While it is ok to shoot high and not use it all, a 200whp on gas needs around 300cc/min. Using an injector that can output over twice as much fuel is not only a waste, but it becomes inaccurate. Imagine trying to fill your bowl of cereal in the morning using the spicket on the milk truck. Will you get milk in your cereal? Yep, and on the floor, your pants, etc. Same idea with too big of an injector, a high output injector trying to make low outputs will make partial throttle messy and maybe even full throttle if its just too big. That being said, there are new injectors on the market that are much much more accurate at bigger sizes, but they are quite expensive too.

Yay for Wednesday off.
LOL Steve Pearson. I remember when he was tuning out of his little garage in Bridgeport like 6-7 years ago. He street tuned my t25g 240sx 7 years ago. Thing would break the tires loose in 3rd gear.. but yes do not recommend things you do not understand. You will cost somebody their car or their life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

redtoprps13 is offline   Reply With Quote