TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #261
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Man, that thing has seen better days...

I'd probably do a junkyard engine just to get it on the road and work on the M3
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #262
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, that thing has seen better days...

I'd probably do a junkyard engine just to get it on the road and work on the M3
Haha you're not the first one to suggest that! I'm not rich enough to start restoring the M3 yet. It's in car hibernation for now until life calms down a bit (or I hit the lottery, whichever comes first).

In reply to the junkyard motor, they (M20b25s in yards) don't really exist anymore out here. I'd have to buy another E30 parts car to get a motor out of that I would then still have to go through. Since the head is trash I'd need a longblock, and folks want $5-700 for them now.

End of the day I'm getting 75hp more +10 cool points for a similar price by going 24V because the M52s are far more common. I picked up the 3L stroker internals today. Just need to pull one of the million M52s from a yard.

This also means I'm going to have to finish my steering rack swap and manual swap when the motor is out.... sigh.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #263
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

E34 Pan/Dipstick/Pickup and S52 Cams/trays arrived!

Picking up the M52 from Classic Daily on Friday.

This car is going to be fun!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #264
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Woo! Progress is good!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #265
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Woo! Progress is good!
Agreed!

I have a motor now! But I don't have anywhere to put it until I move, so until I close on this damn house, my Forester will be pulling wheelies.

Speaking of the Forester, it is about to blow up. Hopefully I can finish moving before it bites the dust. It builds so much coolant pressure on a cold trip around the block that it's enough to spray the entire bay in coolant if the cap is popped. It has also popped the water pump gasket and pushes coolant out of every coolant hose. Not to mention, the clutch is also going bad and it burns a quart of oil (or more) every 1000 miles.

I'm going to a) have to get another daily while I fix it or b) try to finish one of my three e30s to daily.

Last edited by blue91lx; 04-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #266
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

sorry to hear about your subaru woes, sounds like a HG issue? I feel like someone of your mechanical experience could know that out in a weekend if it is the case. I've done quite a few now and can probably drive in, engine out, hg, and back together in driving in a solid Saturday if i took little to no breaks. Hopefully she stays together for you!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #267
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
sorry to hear about your subaru woes, sounds like a HG issue? I feel like someone of your mechanical experience could know that out in a weekend if it is the case. I've done quite a few now and can probably drive in, engine out, hg, and back together in driving in a solid Saturday if i took little to no breaks. Hopefully she stays together for you!
Thanks, man! And I agree, i and just avoiding the inevitable . The last DOHC head gaskets it took ~22hrs, it's totally a weekend job!

The problem is the bottom end- I don't want to pull the motor without at least throwing rings in it, so I've been procrastinating until I have a little more time.

Last edited by blue91lx; 04-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #268
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Ugh, that sucks to hear about the daily. It's always something, it seems. Good luck getting things all sorted out!

It's such a love/hate relationship with older, higher mile dailies. A new car with a warranty and dealer maintenance would be great, lol. I'm currently tracking down mysteries and gremlins in my TDI.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #269
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Ugh, that sucks to hear about the daily. It's always something, it seems. Good luck getting things all sorted out!

It's such a love/hate relationship with older, higher mile dailies. A new car with a warranty and dealer maintenance would be great, lol. I'm currently tracking down mysteries and gremlins in my TDI.
It really is man. I've considered getting a shiny fresh car so many times, but I am 100% sure I'd rather fix a car than have a car payment, at least for now!

I'm just going to have to fight the urge to "build" it and keep it in the lines of "repair" only when I have it apart, because it's only a turbo and head studs away from 300whp........

......but we all know how reliable modified 4cyl turbo cars are
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #270
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Subaru issues lol classic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #271
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Subaru issues lol classic
LS swap time in the forester! Joey where you at?!

After much consideration, I ended up getting eBay headers for this build. $1100 + s/h for supersprints vs $92 shipped is INSANE. I've always been one for quality parts, but the difference in price is astronomical, with very little middle ground in the market.

Ended up going with through the seller speed_daddy, as I saw a few others have used them with decent luck in the past. Even if I have to spend $$ modifying them, I will still be better off. Good headers would've cost more than everything else I have in this build thus far!

I think I'm going to buy an E30 catback, too, and just have a midpipe made with a proper collector merge. Still debating on whether to use a resonator or not.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #272
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post

After much consideration, I ended up getting eBay headers for this build. $1100 + s/h for supersprints vs $92 shipped is INSANE. I've always been one for quality parts, but the difference in price is astronomical, with very little middle ground in the market.

Ended up going with through the seller speed_daddy, as I saw a few others have used them with decent luck in the past. Even if I have to spend $$ modifying them, I will still be better off. Good headers would've cost more than everything else I have in this build thus far!

I think I'm going to buy an E30 catback, too, and just have a midpipe made with a proper collector merge. Still debating on whether to use a resonator or not.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2866/3...d5ac3bc5_c.jpg
You'd be surprised how many "expensive" headers and exhaust items are just overpriced china pieces with a logo welded on them. I know of a few companies that built their business around that.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #273
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
You'd be surprised how many "expensive" headers and exhaust items are just overpriced china pieces with a logo welded on them. I know of a few companies that built their business around that.
It's a scary thought how often this happens. There are several E30 businesses that are solely built around this.

The other scary thing is.... there is quite a large market of people who can't tell the difference and buy into it.

If these things fit even half decent, I'll be thrilled!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #274
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
I know of one in particular as well......

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Would be super dope, but all the subaru swaps i've seen seem like a lot of work. Mr. Denmah wants to build an LS forester in the worst way

Last edited by rocknrace03; 04-28-2017 at 03:48 PM.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #275
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
Would be super dope, but all the subaru swaps i've seen seem like a lot of work. Mr. Denmah wants to build an LS forester in the worst way
I've spent the last few days looking at them and it seems like most folks end up spending $20K+ to get it done even half decent. I'm tellin you, aluminum LSJuan E30 is my end game for me. If I ever get a real job and can fund it, it'll happen.

I really wish someone would offer me a good amount of money for the Scoob so I could just buy something else and be done with it.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #276
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Driveline is very close to being sorted, which was one of my main concerns. I want to have the everything sorted so I can install in the car post-engine build and then slowly purchase and tie together the rest of the small pieces I need to complete the 24v swap. My 3L stroker rotating assembly will be here on tuesday and I can start tackling the engine build.

Drivetrain will be:

-g260
-RHD 7lb Flywheel (228mm m20 clutch fitment)
-UNDECIDED ON CLUTCH
-stock "i" driveshaft
-3.73LSD diff
-stock axles until they break
-10* tilted DSSR for trans linkage alignment
-Z3M Shifter

Also finally received my 'built' adjustable subframe that I've been waiting on for quite some time along with 24v engine mount arms + e28 M5 'green' mounts, 318iS ECU mounting bracket for the 24v ecu, etc. I'm trying to make this thing look like it was meant to be in there.

Last edited by blue91lx; 05-04-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #277
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Ohhhhh, very pretty parts, lol.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #278
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Ohhhhh, very pretty parts, lol.
[Hopefully] these pretty parts will start going on a car sometime soon now that I have a place to work on it!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #279
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Finally closed! Haven't moved a single thing into my house, but the garage is coming along

Old 05-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #280
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Awesome bro, congrats

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote