TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Vendor Marketplace > [TST] Vendors > (Past Vendors)
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Longshot... Welding Titanium? Maybe use a SS slip fitting over it instead?

Brainstorming about my Veilside Titanium catback for the Supra... its 3.5" all the way except for the short 3" section at the beginning. Its one of about 50 in the country, discontinued, and highly sought after.
I hesitate to even think it, but do you have any ideas for bypassing the 3" bottleneck? Either cutting it off and rewelding with 3.5" (or 4") titanium, or the other option would be to cut off the bottleneck and then just use a stainless slip fitting over the rough titanium edge if thats possible.
I will be mating this up to a 4" vband fitting at the end of the midpipe.
What do you think? Let me know, thanks.
Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
Oh just sell the thing and buy a custom or even more oober rare 4" exhaust........ I know you have the money!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
11secdsm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4914

My Ride:
'15 F150, '11 535xi, '95 M3, '04 Wrangler

Jim at JMF has experience with this...give him a call.
2006 Evo IX- 609whp-> (2.3L) || 11.19 @ 128 ->(stock 2.0) SOLD
1997 Supra- 670whp- 10.91 @ 139 SOLD
Old 10-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
How bad will that bottleneck really hurt you?

BUY MY STUFF!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

You should be able to stretch the stainless pipe to fit over the titanium and slip fit it..But stop nit picking and get the damn thing on the road!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
enigma
Tri-State Addict

Member #2659

My Ride:
Hoopties galore

Send a message via AIM to enigma
Titanium needs to be welded totally inert, i belevie there is a bike shop in media that welds up titanium bike frames, they may be able to handle something like this. Here's the website, try giving them a call. http://www.hhracinggroup.com/
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Troll, I need this same thing done, did JM say they can weld a piece of titanium on?

here is my exhaust:

Can anyone replace that taper with a 3" section of titanium pipe and reweld it to the flange? I want 80mm piping all throughout...

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

I didnt pursue it further yet to be honest, but one thing I found out is that it will be nearly impossible to buy a piece of 80mm titanium and find someone to weld it... better bet would be to use a slip fitting which is possible.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

yea basically heard the same thing, great.

So I would need to get a ss slip fitting, cut the flange off my dp and attach it that way? how much could that little taper affect the performance so much?

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
91TSiGuy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3637

My Ride:
91 Talon awd

Looking into this a little more, doing these fixes aren't impossible but they'll be a bit costly. I know for one piece of filler rod it's about $5 plus shipping. The titanium tube in 3.5" is about $3/inch plus shipping but I'm not positive yet if it can be ordered in as little as 3-6" lengths or if we'd have to buy an 8' length. Also, if the front flange is being replaced, then the replacement should also be titanium.

Jim's fused titanium in the past for one of the R/T Tuning guys, but that's about it as for working with this metal.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

oh thats more affordable than i thought... can you look into the minimum quantity of the 3.5" piping? and i dont know if we could open up my original flange and reuse it or not, but how would we go about making/buying a 3.5" flange? thanks!

edit: for my application we could also do a 4" vband on the end since it will be bolting to a 4" vband downpipe... or I could use an adapter piece to fit between 3.5" catback and 4" downpipe.

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 10-24-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
91TSiGuy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3637

My Ride:
91 Talon awd

That 4" vband assembly will be pricey in titanium I'm sure. If I can find some spare time I'll look into where we can pick something like that up from but a quick goggle search isn't working right now on my lunch break. A slip fit type of coupler clamp will probably be your cheapest/easiest option.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah so i guess a 3.5" flat flange welded in titanium to the catback and then a stainless steel adapter from 3.5" flat flange to 4" vband...

or just a stainless slip fitting to slide onto the 3.5" piping and tapers out to a 4" vband all in one piece.

|

Quote:

|
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
91TSiGuy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3637

My Ride:
91 Talon awd

Just got off the phone with one titanium supplier. There isn't a length requirement, but there is a minimum order price requirement and that's $65. I'll keep looking if you guys are definitely serious about doing this.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah definitely interested in looking into details at the very least, especially if d is ordering too...

guess we need to decide if the welded titanium w/ bolt in 3.5-4 inch adapter is the way to go or if doing the slip fitting idea would be better.

|

Quote:

|
Old 10-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

yes!

but I need 80mm not 4" or 3.5"

I would be up for a 3" titanium section weldeded on to get rid of that taper section.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

ok i need something else.

The exhaust I bought is for jdm downpipes which are shorter, so my exhaust is longer. Could I cut that tapered section out by 3" and have a ti-flange welded on? or is that not possible?

The other thing I could do is cut my ss downpipe down 3" and re-weld a flange on that?

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

D... it'd probably be easier for you to have your stainless downpipe modded to fit the catback for that... cheaper and easier. Then deal with the bottleneck separately.

|

Quote:

|
Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

but then i still have the bottle neck!

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

2 separate things you should be dealing with, thats what i'm saying...
you could do it all in Ti but it really does get expensive quickly so i thought this might be easier/cheaper for you...

|

Quote:

|