TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Paint Question

Does anyone know anything about flex agents in paint to prevent or reduce rock chips. The Z looks like it was shot with a 12 guage. I have never had a car that chipped like this. Any ideas.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Send a message via AIM to S4toSTI
Its kinda too late now the idea is to get that stuff on before it gets chipped up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
Bryan: hmm Word says streetable isnt a word but i say f*** Word
"Its not a Rice Rocket its a Matzah Missile" -RichK
S4toSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

You think, I'm going to have it reapinted with that kind of paint. Just looking if anyone has used it. NO clear bras either.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

Too many chips for touch up?

I'm having issues with an insane amount of rock chips myself. I'm either going to upgrade to a carbon fiber bumper OR mold splitters or a lip and have it resprayed then. I'd say go for the respray if you are that unhappy with it.

Good luck!
bastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Yeah to much for touch up, the lower lip looks almost sandblasted. I will be adding a lip and vented hood and dont want it to look the same after 5000 miles.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

I would consider getting the lip and hood custom wrapped (entirely) with 3M, no visible seam and no issues from day one. I've pretty much decided to respray my bumper due to similar damage to what you describe and will probably have it wrapped when I get it done. I've had my car for 15 months and 19.5k miles, and the paint chips are horrendous. That way I can touch up the hood as need be and not worry about the bumper so much.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

if 3M is invisible it will work, but i dont want lines. Will any paint shop be able to do this. Also, I will be looking to do this in October when i have the front clip off for the turbonetics project. Anyone have references in the area for a quality paint shop that you have used. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
bastid
Tri-State Addict

Member #1732

My Ride:
2008 BMW M3

3M is invisible, and it should only show a seam if your car is dirty (which is why I suggested the full hood/bumper wrap). It's not so much the quality of the film so much as it's the installer's attention to detail.

Full hood/bumper will run about 5-6 bills (guestimate), but i'll take much more than that in paint damage before you'd ever have to think of removing/replacing it. I'm probably looking at paying about $700 just to get my front bumper resprayed and hood/qtr-panels touched up.

I'm unfamiliar with any places locally that install the 3M or similar quality material, but I'll shoot a few PMs around the M3Forum and find out. I know Obioban has a clearbra on his M.

Stupid friggin' soft ass German clearcoat