TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
katillidie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5882

My Ride:
93 rhd s13 coupe

Send a message via AIM to katillidie
vq40de first gen frontier swap

well im goin to start off by saying this isnt goin to be a quick build... my fronty is my only vehicle and i still have to tear down the vq40 and do a minor rebuild before i pull the ka24de out to start the swap... i will document the vq40 build here... once the build is complete and i find a cheap beater i will begin the swap... let me just say that the vq40 is a very difficult to find performance parts for... ive been researching and researching interchangeability of parts from the vq35de, vq35hr and vq40... so much misinformation on the web its ridiculous.. there is no aftermarket performance piston or rod company that make pistons or rods yet, exception of a custom set made by cp that's way outta my price range so i will be keeping the stock rods and pistons and just re ringing the 135k vq40.. i will be using vq35hr stock head studs, since they hold more pressure then arp studs for vq35de.. i will also be using vq35hr head gaskets..once the heads are off i will be able to figure out if i need to have the block coolant ports grinded down for the hr head gaskets, i will be using king rod and main bearings once they are released sometime this month.. some background on the truck.. i got bored with the s-chassis. my last build was great but i wanted something different so i sold it. http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ghlight=vq35hr i finally found the right chassis for me the first gen frontier.. since ive had it the head gasket went at 260k.. so i figured why not do some s-chassis cross over by using a s14 head and 232/248 dual exhaust cam swap..http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=584174..
this has been great until i got a phone call from a friend who works at nissan, offering up a FREE complete vq40de with harness and ecu from a 2011 frontier.. so i picked it up.. only issue at the time was the water pump failed dramatically mixing water and oil... not a prob except later after ripping it down i found the original owner failed to change the oil periodically..leaving me with a sludgy mess to clean up...
here are a couple pics i took of the vq40 when i picked it up and the start of the tear down..

the truck

update.. i disassembled the vq40de today... its worse then i expected but not as bad as it could of been.. the engine was pulled do to a faulty water pump at 135k miles... it was making a horrible sound.. so now for some pics and a vieo of the broken water pump

bad water pump

Well I got everything back from the machine shop. king rod and main bearings are in... everything looks so much better...Now just need to find the time to reassemble it..

Crank polished

Block honed and coolant passages modified for vq35hr headgaskets

Modified coolant passage

Other side

Very clean block... numerous hours spent cleaning oil ports that were clogged from lack of oil changes [/URL
]

Sub oil pan 98% clean with new oil relief valve ( no pic sorry) installed since original was blown out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

what goes up must come down.
~yeah thats right! its me!
katillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
awesome build! cant wait for updates!
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

very cool, ive always wanted to build an old ranger/b2300 drift truck. Looking forward to watching this build!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Now this is cool. I love me a good Nissan build. Going from a KA to a VQ is just beyond awesome (though I am a sucker for old technology so I would have went with a built VG33E-T, but that's only because it's my second favorite engine.).
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
95naSTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #6568

My Ride:
95 Bonnie, 98 i30, 07 Ducati Monster S2R 800

Cool to see another VQ hybrid. I'm running a 08 Altima VQ35 (has HR heads on a DE block), with VQ30 timing covers/chain/oil pans, and an '09 Maxima UIM and TB in my '98 i30.
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 AM   #6
katillidie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5882

My Ride:
93 rhd s13 coupe

Send a message via AIM to katillidie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95naSTA View Post
Cool to see another VQ hybrid. I'm running a 08 Altima VQ35 (has HR heads on a DE block), with VQ30 timing covers/chain/oil pans, and an '09 Maxima UIM and TB in my '98 i30.
U got a build thread?

what goes up must come down.
~yeah thats right! its me!
katillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
95naSTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #6568

My Ride:
95 Bonnie, 98 i30, 07 Ducati Monster S2R 800

Yep: http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...d.php?t=109430
95naSTA is offline   Reply With Quote