TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #561
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

The longer it takes to find a buyer, the nicer the cars are getting

I got a fresh matching all season mounted/balanced on a full sized spare today for the white '89 iX. I also fitted a factory jack/mount and OE battery cover. It's the little things.

IMG_2675 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2677 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2678 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #562
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
if only i had money

This is what happens when you get married and have a baby. lol
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #563
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
if only i had money

This is what happens when you get married and have a baby. lol
Congrats on the marriage and child! I'm sure that takes a hit in the car bank account department, but for good reason.

Heidi, the '88 back east sold today! Bittersweet, but still a huge relief to find a buyer who was stoked about the car.

In other news, I've been watching this '14 STI hatch for a little while. It's only an hour away and I've been wanting to upgrade my daily for a long time. Priced reasonably for what it is, too. One owner, no accident car. If the rest of the E30s I have up for sale sold, I think I'd pull the trigger.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Last edited by blue91lx; 11-21-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #564
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

you're gonna be the first person i call when i go to do another e28 bimmer. I really loved that chassis. I would love to have another someday, this time with less side pipes...
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #565
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Damn, that silver one was looking very nice! Glad you're able to sell these so quickly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #566
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
you're gonna be the first person i call when i go to do another e28 bimmer. I really loved that chassis. I would love to have another someday, this time with less side pipes...
I love e28s- I will own a 535iS someday. The M30 is a beast of a motor, too! 3.5L of single cam straight 6 glory, and they love turbos. You could probably skip the LS $$ and build yourself a nasty car for very little coin that looks and cruises amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Damn, that silver one was looking very nice! Glad you're able to sell these so quickly
The silver car was very special- one of those "I'm definitely not going to find another like it" kind of cars. However, simplification is a great thing, too!

Shipman doesn't know it yet, but he's going to buy the Delphin Gray sedan.

I also bought a turbo manifold impulsively on Black Friday for Linda, we'll see if that goes anywhere once I finish thinning the herd.

My tentative plan: 400whp on 93

-GTX3076R (would go BW EFR 7163 but no one makes a twin scroll mani for less than $2K)
-CX Racing E30 Intercooler Setup (ebay + bonus points for testing and fitment)
-VS Racing Tial Knockoff WG/BOV (44mm/50mm)
-MS2 PNP w/ wasted spark, will probably use OEM ls truck coils
-ARP studs (should've done them when I did the motor)
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch
-60lb injectors
-Some affordable 255-340 fuel pump
Old 11-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #567
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
I love e28s- I will own a 535iS someday. The M30 is a beast of a motor, too! 3.5L of single cam straight 6 glory, and they love turbos. You could probably skip the LS $$ and build yourself a nasty car for very little coin that looks and cruises amazing!

The silver car was very special- one of those "I'm definitely not going to find another like it" kind of cars. However, simplification is a great thing, too!

Shipman doesn't know it yet, but he's going to buy the Delphin Gray sedan.

I also bought a turbo manifold impulsively on Black Friday for Linda, we'll see if that goes anywhere once I finish thinning the herd.

My tentative plan: 400whp on 93

-GTX3076R (would go BW EFR 7163 but no one makes a twin scroll mani for less than $2K)
-CX Racing E30 Intercooler Setup (ebay + bonus points for testing and fitment)
-VS Racing Tial Knockoff WG/BOV (44mm/50mm)
-MS2 PNP w/ wasted spark, will probably use OEM ls truck coils
-ARP studs (should've done them when I did the motor)
-Spec Stage 3 Clutch
-60lb injectors
-Some affordable 255-340 fuel pump

dang i wish i lived closer so i could help you with turbo fun times.

i recommend the aem380 pump. I had a lot of trouble with the walbro stuff due to the knock off issue that exists.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #568
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Gimmie a brotha man discount and I'll come to Indiana tonight.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #569
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
dang i wish i lived closer so i could help you with turbo fun times.

i recommend the aem380 pump. I had a lot of trouble with the walbro stuff due to the knock off issue that exists.
Someday when I'm not in this wasteland of the Midwest it'll happen! Hopefully by that point it'll be cooler than an e30 build too And fake Walbros are everywhere now it seems. I've been eyeing the AEM 340lph E85 pump since I need an in tank unit.

The M20s make good power. You can make 4-450whp pretty easily/reliably. Just need to fork out fat cash for axles and a twin disc if you plan on getting traction, but I don't, so I should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Gimmie a brotha man discount and I'll come to Indiana tonight.
$16 off for you man, cyborg Tuesday special
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #570
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

This thing is getting a whole lot nicer! I'm taking the time to complete various tasks, both small and large, to help prep the car the best I can for whoever picks her up.

Over the past few days I've done:

-Inner/Outer Tie Rods
-M3 Offset CABs
-H&R iX Springs
-Bilstein HD Front Struts
-Cleaned/repacked front upper strut mounts (rubber in great shape)
-KYB Rear shocks
-HD Rear Strut Mounts
-Sent front axles out to be gone through
-Front/Rear Swaybar Endlinks
-Proper sedan rear carpet
-Nice drivers side mirror glass
-Redline 75w90 Front Diff Fluid Change
-Redline MTL Trans Fluid Change
-Redline ATF TCase Fluid Change
-Redline 75w90 Rear Diff Fluid Change
-LiquiMoly 10w40/Mann Filter Oil Change
-Mounted/balanced the new tires on the refinished wheels
-Mann Air Filter

I also purchased everything to convert the car to r134. Once I get some free time I'll get that finished up as well.

The strut housings are in awesome shape, which is great to see. The paint was peeling on the drivers side housing so I sanded/primed/painted the upper portion of the housing to prevent future rust.

Passenger side strut housing:

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Driver side strut housing:

Goodies:

Getting everything ready for assembly:

Donezo:

Old vs new:

Mirror glass:

Oh Mann:

Rear setup:

And proper rear carpet (thanks, Austin!)

Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #571
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Washed this thing. It's such a hoot to drive with 3.2L of modern power, bolted in with factory BMW parts.

IMG_2717 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2719 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2725 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #572
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

That has to be one of the cleanest BMWs of that generation around. Must be a blast with the new engine and suspension work.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #573
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
That has to be one of the cleanest BMWs of that generation around. Must be a blast with the new engine and suspension work.
It really is a clean car. There are a ton of small things you could do to improve the car to fit your style like long tubes, coilovers, sport seats, etc. However, it's perfect how it is now.

It's funny, this car is going to bring less money in repainted, rust free, engine swapped configuration than my silver coupe 325iX did that needed paint and wasn't in as nice condition overall.

If someone brought this back to the East Coast, I bet you could fetch $12K pretty easily for it.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 AM   #574
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

(heavy breathing)

Quote:
Old 12-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #575
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
So, so good
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #576
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

So nice...wow!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #577
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
(heavy breathing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
So, so good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
So nice...wow!
Thank you all! She's a beaut, and drives like one, too.

Meanwhile Linda and Sam are over here waiting for these other cars to go bye bye so they can hop back in the spotlight.

My official plan for after the two sedans sell: Wait out winter, sell the FXT and buy a low (30-40k) mile 13-14 STI hatch. Be done with fixing old cars once and for all, and finally get a clean, low milage daily to maintain and enjoy for many years to come. Something I've never done before

Old 12-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #578
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

Meanwhile Linda and Sam are over here waiting for these other cars to go bye bye so they can hop back in the spotlight.

My official plan for after the two sedans sell: Wait out winter, sell the FXT and buy a low (30-40k) mile 13-14 STI hatch. Be done with fixing old cars once and for all, and finally get a clean, low milage daily to maintain and enjoy for many years to come. Something I've never done before

Something about a red E30 just looks so damn good. I'd say it's my favorite color for the E30 followed by black and gray.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #579
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

GD STi or die

Quote:
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #580
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:

For some reason this doesn't add up to me

I'm with you on not dailying old cars anymore. I bought my first new car ~5 years ago. I don't think I will daily another car that is not under warrenty. I want to fix cars at my leisure not so I can get to work tomorrow.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote