TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Spotted!
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #41
OptiCon
Tri-State Addict

Member #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
And putting 18k into another 20,000 econo box makes sense?
You don't need to dump 18K into an SRT to be "fast". Not even close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh
And I've yet to seen any relevent information backing up that fact that its so hard to make a honda fast.
Engine swaps? Internal build-ups so a block can handle over 250whp? drivetrain upgrades and swaps?
How about "Buy a factory engineered Stage 3 upgrade from the manufacturer for 3k and install it in a few hours". OOPS! 300+whp, 12 second (on STREET tires) car. It's more reliable, a MILLION times more drivable than a built civic, and you won't have bands of illegal aliens trying to jack and strip it from under your nose either.

Hondas CAN be as fast as SRTs. But never as easily, reliably, or comfortably. That's why they get branded as "slower"... because they are inherently more resistant to making big power than a Mustang or Camaro or SRT4. Get it?

On the other hand... there is something completely different to be said about a 12 second Honda. After all, the owner was able to shave about 6 seconds off the factory time. While that may not be "fast", and the owner might have spent a lot of time on the car... that's still 6 whole seconds.

Personally, I have MUCH more respect for somebody who can get a daily driven Honda in the 12s than I do for a guy who gets his drag racing mustang in the 9s. I think SRT4s end up somewhere in the middle.

So if you want to argue in favor of Hondas, argue that the community is more prone to ingenuity because building a fast civic is more of a challenge.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #42
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Send a message via AIM to smoger
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessmyk View Post
... am I the only one who caught this??? You're kidding, right?
i saw that too but didnt even bother with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

.. all car enthusiasts are welcome
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #43
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiCon View Post

Engine swaps? Internal build-ups so a block can handle over 250whp? drivetrain upgrades and swaps?
How about "Buy a factory engineered Stage 3 upgrade from the manufacturer for 3k and install it in a few hours". OOPS! 300+whp, 12 second (on STREET tires) car. It's more reliable, a MILLION times more drivable than a built civic, and you won't have bands of illegal aliens trying to jack and strip it from under your nose either.

Hondas CAN be as fast as SRTs. But never as easily, reliably, or comfortably. That's why they get branded as "slower"... because they are inherently more resistant to making big power than a Mustang or Camaro or SRT4. Get it?

On the other hand... there is something completely different to be said about a 12 second Honda. After all, the owner was able to shave about 6 seconds off the factory time. While that may not be "fast", and the owner might have spent a lot of time on the car... that's still 6 whole seconds.

Personally, I have MUCH more respect for somebody who can get a daily driven Honda in the 12s than I do for a guy who gets his drag racing mustang in the 9s. I think SRT4s end up somewhere in the middle.

So if you want to argue in favor of Hondas, argue that the community is more prone to ingenuity because building a fast civic is more of a challenge.
excellent post sir

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #44
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
you have no choice but to love SRT's Mr. Ownsa"classic"TD

you going to cecil county on the 11th? I am
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #45
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Quote:

That wasn't my point with the 18k point at all. I know a srt4 doesnt need that much money into it. I was just arguing the fact that dollar for dollar, you can make a civic faster than the new cars coming out.

Have you ever done a swap into a honda? Obviously not if you are saying its so hard to do. I've done 5 myself and can have them done in about 4-5 hours now if wiring is needed to be done to swap from dpfi to mpfi. Swaps are pretty much drop in for honda, minus the ef's that need motor mount kits which don't really cost that much at all anymore.

Honda internals are stronger than you think, I guess you didn't read my statement about epic tunings hatch that runs 17psi puts down 308whp, on STOCK internals with arp head studs to prevent headlift. And then it runs the 1320 in 11.81 on guess what...the stock open diff. Honda trannys seem to be pretty damn strong for the most part, the thing that breaks the most on them is diffs, but alot of other brands have the same problem when a lot of power is being put down. Not that what im about to say means anything, but I remember seeing a thread somewhere else about a srt4 flywheel blowing apart and pieces coming through the firewall, hood, and other various places.

And about what you said running 12's on street tires. If you refer to my previous post I mentioned TallKyle and Redstandzchatch from ef-honda. They both run mid to low 12's in there civics on street tires. Tallkyle puts down 250whp on the stock cam and forged internals. Redstandardzc hatch puts down 300whp with a turbo cam and also has forged internals. Both cars where built for right around the 5,000 dollar mark.

You're third paragraph makes no sense to me, maybe im just not reading it right.

I respect srt4's as well, but for the most part most (not all) of the people who own these cars pay to have everything done to them when they are modded. But theres also alot of honda owners that do the same, or buy the car already done so I can't really argue that at all.

I have gave some pretty good info that hondas can run 12s and 11's with stock internals and parts. True to run 10's thats a different story, but im guessing you'd need to do the same with a srt4, evo, or imprezza.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #46
OptiCon
Tri-State Addict

Member #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat
you have no choice but to love SRT's Mr. Ownsa"classic"TD
I love the car. A real engineering marvel. Something so quick, nimble, and perceptive to mods for only 20k new. And factory developed upgrades are a testament to the Mopar name and it's engineers.

I am much less impressed with most SRT owners. I never get a good feeling when so many outright unkowledgeable people (with daddy's wallet) are able to go fast. But that's the side effect of a fast cheap car I guess.

Just raises the bar for us real auto enthusiests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat
you going to cecil county on the 11th? I am
I'm going to do my best. Right after I do my best to make 400whp at DV-SDAC's dyno day. I just hope my wallet is up to all this.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #47
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

[QUOTE=OptiCon;336393]

Going from 16's to 12's is not the same as going from 13's to 9's. As you get faster it is inherently harder to go faster. If your talking about a drag only car no interior and such you see more civics stripped to the bone on the street than you do stangs and the stangs will still do 10's very reliably on the street. If you think it's great to start out with a slower car and end up with a slower car then that's your logic. My logic says start with a car built to go fast then make it faster. Like it's a big deal when a civec beats a stang " or any domestic v8 car" thats what the civic was built to do . Guys that drive fast domestics look for single turbo supras, vipers, lambos and ferrraris to do this to.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #48
streetAssasin96
Tri-State Addict

Member #2686

My Ride:
96 GSR, 95 Civ Coupe

amen honduh. its great to see people who know what they are talking about. and dont get me wrong i like srt4s too, but when you can get a stock b18c(gsr) bottom end to be pushing 600 something horspower like lisa kubo, thats just ******* amazing

next time think, 39 Thieves are quicker than 40 winks
Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #49
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetAssasin96 View Post
amen honduh. its great to see people who know what they are talking about. and dont get me wrong i like srt4s too, but when you can get a stock b18c(gsr) bottom end to be pushing 600 something horspower like lisa kubo, thats just ******* amazing
Thanks dude.

It still saddens me that everyone talking **** in this thread can't fire back any acutal information to back up the "hondas suck and they are slow" side of this.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #50
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

you guys are still ignoring the point of this thread. if the honda in question was fast, it wouldnt be bragging about being a "neon killer"

noone ever said honduh's can't be fast.. our point is that most of them are not.

just like if someone said srt-4 owners are toolbags, i wouldnt be offended because most of them are!

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #51
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

Just like all camaro guys are mullet wearing rednecks!! yeeee haw
Old 10-13-2006, 03:43 AM   #52
Flat 4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2498

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
lol its ok don't worry about the big meanies.

anyone can go buy a sti, evo, srt4 and go fast with it with a few minor upgrades.

but it takes guts and some mechanical knowhow to buy a 90hp civic and make it run just as fast if not faster then those $20,000+ cars.
No it doesn't.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #53
Flat 4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2498

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX STi

[QUOTE=ibepressin;336752]
Quote:

Going from 16's to 12's is not the same as going from 13's to 9's. As you get faster it is inherently harder to go faster. If your talking about a drag only car no interior and such you see more civics stripped to the bone on the street than you do stangs and the stangs will still do 10's very reliably on the street. If you think it's great to start out with a slower car and end up with a slower car then that's your logic. My logic says start with a car built to go fast then make it faster. Like it's a big deal when a civec beats a stang " or any domestic v8 car" thats what the civic was built to do . Guys that drive fast domestics look for single turbo supras, vipers, lambos and ferrraris to do this to.
+1. I'm not out hunting down Civics in my Camaro. I'm going hunting for 911s, Vettes, M3s, or whatever other remotely expensive car is out there. There's nothing quite like hurting the feelings of some yuppie in his $80,000 car.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #54
streetAssasin96
Tri-State Addict

Member #2686

My Ride:
96 GSR, 95 Civ Coupe

Quote:
you guys are still ignoring the point of this thread. if the honda in question was fast, it wouldnt be bragging about being a "neon killer"

noone ever said honduh's can't be fast.. our point is that most of them are not.

just like if someone said srt-4 owners are toolbags, i wouldnt be offended because most of them are!
i see what your sayin. honduh had some good points and i was motivated to add to them.

next time think, 39 Thieves are quicker than 40 winks
Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #55
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

i cant wait till my "Model T Killer" stickers come in
Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #56
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken5hift View Post
i cant wait till my "Model T Killer" stickers come in
meh, I'm still waiting on my "Huffy Killer" stickers to come in...they've been back ordered for some time, seems they aren't that hard to beat anymore
Old 10-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #57
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

one day maybe you can take on the schwinn
Old 10-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #58
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken5hift View Post
one day maybe you can take on the schwinn
egads..probably not...schwinn just sounds so fast :-\
Old 10-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #59
HatchSurfer3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #853

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Hm, well i am bored and just read this entire thread, and i dont even know how to respond. Anyone who knows me knows that i cant stand 99% of the civic community. Most of them are slow, including mine. Its a matter of personal opinion and taste. Obviously you dont go hunting down civics, what the hell would be the point, u might find 1 fast one out of every 10,000 you race, itd be a waste of gas. However, when you do find the right one it'll give you a run. Also most civics arent built to compete with ferraris and vipers. Most people who own cars like that are 50 yr old men who don't even know what street racing is. I personally am gonna build mine up to compete with myself, see how fast i can go before i blow up basically.

And that feeling when you see the face of the guy who owns the $80k car, thats the feeling most civic owners get when they beat someone like you. And then the face of that guy is ten times worse when they get beat buy some little import.

All in all this thread is useless, and good luck finding your ferraris to race haha

FRP™ #5
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #60
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchSurfer3 View Post
I personally am gonna build mine up to compete with myself, see how fast i can go before i blow up basically.

And that feeling when you see the face of the guy who owns the $80k car, thats the feeling most civic owners get when they beat someone like you. And then the face of that guy is ten times worse when they get beat buy some little import.

All in all this thread is useless, and good luck finding your ferraris to race haha
Well I guess it's good to have goals in life, like seeing how fast you can go before you blow up. Just wondering how many times down the 1/4 mile strip you will ever have under your belt.
The odds of a random civic on the street beating me are definietly greater than the odds of me finding and beating a ferrari. Fact: my car will beat pretty much any ferrari i would come across with the exception of an enzo "in a straight line race". In that case I'll still step up and take in the A** like a man. Good luck with your goal of "seeing how fast you can go before you blow up" <- statements like that are exactly why civic owners get ragged on so badly. Now please don't respond with a random list of things you are going to do to make your civic the one that will take me out. <-another typical civic owner action. haha
Closed Thread