TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

Is Dynamat Still the best? If so where to get it?

So the Datsun is getting converted over to a full street car. The roof is getting welded shut, the interior is getting redone in black, and the car will likely get a new paint job.

That being said I am looking to get rid of all the clangs that come with an all metal interior. Is dynamat still the best or is there something better. Or is there a good substitute?

Any advice/experience would be great.

Pic of interior for reference

-Eric
Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Bubba Ho-Tep
Tri-State Addict

Member #558

My Ride:
2014 Corvette Stingray

Oh my..I can imagine how loud that must be to drive! What's the history behind this car- stripped for racing...but still drive it on the street?

Regarding your question- I have been out of the whole car audio thing for almost 10 years. I picked up a small Dynamat Extreme kit to squelch the metal wall behind the passenger seat oil-canning. Worked like a charm!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
jesus_ralliart
Tri-State Addict

Member #15649

My Ride:
05 neon

My buddy used dynamat when he was doing a little bit of system work on his g20 about a year or 2 ago. Worked great
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

You can order dynamat from crutchfield.com
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
leojang
Noob-Jersey

Member #16871

My Ride:
Panda

Dynamat works great, but expensive and heavy. If you are racing it, I wouldn't suggest it.
leojang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
OMGz Turbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3108

My Ride:
01' WS6..That whistles...01' Explorer 5.slow

there is spray linear that IMO looks better, and works just as good if not better.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT BEING TTT APPROVED
OMGz Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
RAAMmat BXT II is awesome, it's butyl just like Dynamat but at a significantly lower cost. The guy Rick who runs the company is also a great guy to talk to, he will work with you within whatever project and budget you have and support you the whole way through. But even without his great attitude, the product is very easy to work with and made a huge difference in my install. I believe the foil is also slightly thicker(the foil blocks sound while the butyl compound dampens vibration).

Here is the link to the product, it's list price is a little more than half dynamat's sale price: http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?p...chk=1&Itemid=3

Few words of advice for your project though, this product is designed to dampen vibrations and resonances within the panels, while you can make a solid wall/layer it, you will be better off getting the right stuff for the job. After covering 25% of each panel with the dampener you see an exponential return on investment. Meaning that the difference between putting a chunk in the middle of your door and having 2 full layers of it are not huge. If you want an actual barrier to keep sounds out, you should look for a dense 1/8-1/4" vinyl sheet, McMasterCarr[www.mcmaster.com] has some good deals(feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.)

Sorry, I did home and car audio for a while and I can get a little...involved when it comes to prep;)

Edit: OH! just thought, if you're looking to keep the stripped look, there is a company called second skin audio that makes a spray or paint on butyl-base undercoating that is supposed to work wonders:http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound...rum-sludge.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

http://www.b-quiet.com/
Brown Bread is supposed to be better, read some reviews.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusDude View Post
http://www.b-quiet.com/
Brown Bread is supposed to be better, read some reviews.
BB is actually a rubberized asphalt, which is literally the same thing they use in roofing. It's not nearly as effective as a butyl rubber and it can leave a tar smell in your car if you aren't lucky. If you live in an area where it goes over 85 in the summer, or have a dark colored car, it will also melt and leak out of your panels... not pretty.

I can't find the pic I used as an example in the past, so here is one of a dog I found.

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

ya so thats a no on the Brown Bread. Interested in the other stuff though-- has anyone had experience with it? I can ebay some Dynamat for about 140 shipped soI am trying to determine whether the RAAMmat is worth the try