TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #401
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Yeah, I did. I sold them off thinking I would get more track time this past summer and burn through the stockers. Oops.

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #402
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post

Pretty much!

Found out recently that over the air updates were being used by GM as a new firmware update loaded on my infotainment system while it sat in the garage. The car now has the GM marketplace app (cool concept, looking forward to it being deployed widely) along with multiple news sites apps. The biggest gain was the Pandora app for me personally. All apps work off of the vehicle's own wifi/LTE connection so no phone is required anymore.

Pretty nice tech and I had to share it with my former colleague who does the infotainment systems for an OEM. He wants to play with one since it does things that are a few years down the roadmap yet. Now if GM could just make the appearance of the menus and on-screen buttons look more professional, it would be a home run system.

Oh and wireless android auto and Apple carplay are going to be a matter of another firmware update since the car possesses wifi capability. Just waiting on Apple to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 01-09-2018 at 03:22 PM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #403
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Is the Apple CarPlay update hardware change free? Ford had to add a new interface box to the USB ports, but Android Auto works without the updated hardware box.

I did like your system, way more features than Ford's. It looked a little "playful" but not in a bad way? Not sure how to describe it, lol
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #404
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Is the Apple CarPlay update hardware change free? Ford had to add a new interface box to the USB ports, but Android Auto works without the updated hardware box.

I did like your system, way more features than Ford's. It looked a little "playful" but not in a bad way? Not sure how to describe it, lol
If the vehicle has hardware for wifi (like the Camaro does), then wireless Carplay becomes possible once Apple/GM update the firmware to turn it on.

Otherwise, Carplay and Android Auto both work on the Camaro through the USB port like always.

Haha, that's a good way of describing it. I'd prefer something closer to the look of the VW Group systems, which are more austere looking.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #405
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Finally got some numbers/letters for HPDE and Autocross days from iZoom Graphics:

10" height, orange peel edging with silver metallic inside in Nurburgring font.

Now I need wheels and tires.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #406
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Pretty!

How nice is it having a garage?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 AM   #407
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Pretty!

How nice is it having a garage?
Thank you!

Pretty damn nice when the snow hits haha.

Sooo after being convinced that my car isn’t going to be worth anything special for a good 30-40 years, I’m close to pulling the trigger on a set of longtubes and a Rotofab cold air intake to replace the ineffective GM one. With the ported TB/IM and the Rotofab alone, there are appreciable dyno gains. With the LT’s, 20-30rwhp is to be gained further. Also looking at a flex fuel kit since E85 is more plentiful around here.

Just need to find a reputable shop down here to handle the LT’s as it’s a PITA from all I’ve read.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #408
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Well ok then...

I'm not going to mod to keep up... I'm not going to mod to keep up...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #409
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Well ok then...

I'm not going to mod to keep up... I'm not going to mod to keep up...
Haha CAM is waiting for youuuuuu

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #410
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

noooo, please no
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #411
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
noooo, please no

It's almost getting to be spring, which means time to start going through the car and making sure everything is still tight. I'll be putting the car up on stands soon to fix loose front swaybar endlink nuts. GM actually has a TSB out for dealing with these on the 1LE/ZL1. They replace with larger nuts with higher torque values, but we're finding out that the true fix is to use Nordloc washers with Loctite.

No more clunk!

In other news, this was a cool thing to see pop up on youtube the other day:
https://youtu.be/wIofaAOayaU

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 02-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #412
SledgeHammer
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21099

My Ride:
17 1LE, 17 C Coupe, 16 Scion and other stuff

Nice 1LE build up... Love the platform, very underrated and extremely capable.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #413
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Nice 1LE build up... Love the platform, very underrated and extremely capable.

Thank you! Another 1LE owner on Tristate? You'll have to start a journal of your own!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #414
SledgeHammer
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21099

My Ride:
17 1LE, 17 C Coupe, 16 Scion and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post

Thank you! Another 1LE owner on Tristate? You'll have to start a journal of your own!
Not the journal type LOL. plus its built and done already. Just waiting for playtime and warmer temps
Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #415
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Not the journal type LOL. plus its built and done already. Just waiting for playtime and warmer temps
Fair enough!

What do you have done to it? The 1LE came out maybe 3 weeks after I bought my Fifty. I'm a bit attached to my car, otherwise a trade-in would be something I'd be looking at heavily with the new 2SS 1LE now out for 2018.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #416
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interesting info on the nordlok washers and such. I may need something for my new endlinks, they're definitely pretty small diameter studs so I was concerned about torquing them hard like the OEM or Whiteline parts.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #417
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interesting info on the nordlok washers and such. I may need something for my new endlinks, they're definitely pretty small diameter studs so I was concerned about torquing them hard like the OEM or Whiteline parts.
Well this worked out!

I need to head to Fastenal and pick up the eight Nordlok washer pairs i'll need and some loctite to do mine. I also need to order the improved larger GM nuts online (would be quicker than dealing with the service department with the TSB).

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 02-16-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #418
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Good to have the tips from that about making sure the wedges are properly seated by turning both sides of the fastener.

Good luck with your install!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #419
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Good to have the tips from that about making sure the wedges are properly seated by turning both sides of the fastener.

Good luck with your install!
Thank you!

I've been doing nothing but working on the house, hard to fit the car stuff in but the house is getting closer to "done" now with the major stuff out of the way.

I've put my GM CAI up for sale:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...9#post10089649

and plan on going to a Rotofab dry once it sells.

As much as I hate Rotofab's choice of marketing (by spamming the forum in every CAI thread), it's the only one that has consistently shown to actually make some power. Go figure.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #420
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeahhhhh some manufacturers do that on Mustang forums too. Kinda makes me really NOT want to spend money with them.