TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Regional (Yup, Tri-State is really Five-State) > Pennsylvania
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
blkmz3
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4316

My Ride:
2004 Acura TL 6spd

Send a message via AIM to blkmz3
Mountain Bike Trails (recommendations?)

My friend convinced me to get into the sport. Thought I'd give it a try this winter since I have a bike sitting the basement. Any good trails near Philly, KOP, West Chester area?

There's a bunch on the site below.

http://mountainbikepa.com/
blkmz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
PunkboySL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7050

My Ride:
Saturns> 94' SW2, 94' SC2

Send a message via AIM to PunkboySL2
Wissahickon in Philly is excellent! Might be a little tough if you're new to the sport, but definitely worth riding. It can be a tad crowded on weekends, but besides that it's a great escape from the city.

I want to say that French creek is near that area, but I don't remember exactly. They also have a great trail system, well maintained.

What kind of bike do you have?
96 Saturn SL2m - built, then wrecked [RIP]
PunkboySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Saab93Aero
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5580

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkboySL2 View Post
Wissahickon in Philly is excellent!
^this^

also, a friend and i had a good time exploring valley forge, it had a lot of nice off road trails, we had to explore, but i believe there is a trail map out there somewhere and there was a lot of sick stuff
Saab93Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
XxIriponzeesxX
Tri-State Addict

Member #14173

My Ride:
1991 240sx hatch DD, 1992 KA-T

I heard french creek is great. I don't know the valley forge area so I would say your best bet would be to head to your local bike shop and ask them. Oh and if you are ever near raystown lake find a trail map and friend and ride the piss out of it lol. One of the best places I've ever been. Oh and a nother great place is mt. Vernon in jersey, a down hill palace. Lol
XxIriponzeesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Burnt2Death
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #17935

My Ride:
Whatever I feel like.

French Creek is the place to go. Over 100miles worth of wrapping trails. I used to ride out there a lot. Awesome trails along with great scenery. My friend came flying around a blind turn on the Horse Shoe Trail out there and railed right into a turkey lol. Great trails and tons of land. Right around the corner is St. Peters Village. The trails in the state game lands right behind the village has some more "extreme" trails.

I highly suggest French Creek. Good day of fun for anyone who likes all kinds of terrain.
Burnt2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

When spring comes arround, we should do some get togethers and go biking. I haven't done it in so long.. my bike is just rusting out in the shed at my parents place.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
XxIriponzeesxX
Tri-State Addict

Member #14173

My Ride:
1991 240sx hatch DD, 1992 KA-T

Absolutally. I've already got the itch. Lol
XxIriponzeesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I am not too familiar with that area unfortunately but there are a lot of places to ride around Allentown. Honest Bob and I go to Jacobsburg quite a bit. Oh and what's this about when spring comes? We've been out in the 30's just grab yourself some under armor or cold weather riding gear and go. Just watch out for hunters lol.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
dizzysn
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #12999

My Ride:
02 C5 Z06, intake, headers, exhaust, cam - 430rwhp.

Send a message via AIM to dizzysn
Beaver Valley in PA/De has some great trails. Don't know if they're the type you're looking for, but they're fun to ride.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Burnt2Death
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #17935

My Ride:
Whatever I feel like.

Deff get together for a nice ride!! I need a new bike or someones to use though...
Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

french creek is great i just went like 2 weeks ago when it was slightly warmer out, but its always fun when its cold out
300zx_tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Where is French Creek? Anyone have a link?
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Burnt2Death
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #17935

My Ride:
Whatever I feel like.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...enchcreek.aspx The state park itself has 20 miles of trails and then it is mostly surrounded by State game lands that also have a lot of rideable trails.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
ridenfish39
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #15685

My Ride:
2012 Mustang 5.0

Check this out, lots of info for local trails.......http://www.phillymtb.org/

Stay out of Valley Forge, the trails are off limits to bikes and it's heavily enforced. Shame because it is a cool place.

Some of my local favorites are........

Wissahickon, 15 mile + loop, fairly rocky with a lot of climbing.

Pennypack, about 25 miles of trail. lots of tight singletrack, but you have to know the trails to link them up. I live a half mile from there.

French Creek, about 20 miles of legal trail. Very rocky with a lot of climbing.

Stover State Park, 8 miles of trail, very rocky, rooty and technical.

Bald Pate NJ, about 10 miles of trail. Rocky with a lot of climbing. Hunting season now, only open on Sundays until posted opened.

Lewis Morris Park NJ, 10 miles of fast trails with moderate climbing. Fun place

White Clay DE, about 30 miles of trails, one of my favorites. Moderate climbing, smooth trails built and maintained by mountain bikers. If you like to go fast on flowing trails this is it.

Fair Hill MD, right next to White Clay. At least 30 miles of trail. Mix of fast trails and tight single track. Lots of fun too.

Fair Hill and White Clay are sensitive trails to weather. Don't ride there if it is going to be muddy, they don't like it. Pennypack also stays muddy for a few days after a rain. Wissahickon dries very fast, as does French Creek.

Other trails worth mentioning in the area, but longer drives, are in Jim Thorpe, Lehigh College, Ringwood NJ (awesome), Bear Creek, and my favorite in Pa, the Allegrippis System at Raystown Lake. (long drive but insanely fun and fast, make it a long weekend there)

Hope this helps, PM me if you need more details.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I'm suprised you dind't mention Jacobsburg or the South mountain conservancy, it seems you do get around though lol.
I think I am going to be making a trip out to Raystown. I keep hearing great things about it.

http://www.bikevmb.com/trailfinder

Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
ridenfish39

Member #15685

My Ride:
2012 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
I'm suprised you dind't mention Jacobsburg or the South mountain conservancy, it seems you do get around though lol.
I think I am going to be making a trip out to Raystown. I keep hearing great things about it.

http://www.bikevmb.com/trailfinder
Thanks for the link! I forgot about Allamuchy, that place is sweet.

South Mountain = Lehigh College :D

I've heard of Jacobsburgh but never been there, I'll have to check it out.

Raystown is well worth the drive, but it is closed until Dec 11 for deer hunting.
There are people (volunteers) that actually rake the trails and use leaf blowers on them there....lol.

If you want to go somewhere that'll really blow your mind, check out Kingdom Trails in Vermont.

Last edited by ridenfish39; 12-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.
ridenfish39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Well I just picked up an Outback as a daily so I want to start traveling a bit more. I grew up in Hacketstown so Allamuchy is probably going to be my first stop outside the valley. I'm try to get into shape a bit over the winter to make these trips worth while lol.

What kind of riding do you do mostly? Your list of places offers quite a mix so i am kind of curious.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
ridenfish39

Member #15685

My Ride:
2012 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
Well I just picked up an Outback as a daily so I want to start traveling a bit more. I grew up in Hacketstown so Allamuchy is probably going to be my first stop outside the valley. I'm try to get into shape a bit over the winter to make these trips worth while lol.

What kind of riding do you do mostly? Your list of places offers quite a mix so i am kind of curious.
I'm a cross country rider, none of that "freeride" stuff for me. I like the fast, flowy trails (Raystown) up to moderately technical. Hardtail geared 29er and rigid ss 29er bikes. I race expert or cat 1 xc, and I do a lot of training on the road.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

That's the same riding I enjoy now but at some point I would like to do a little downhill. Nothing crazy it just looks like fun lol. I was looking at a 29er but ended up going with the 26 because it's been 10 years since I rode regularly and I just didn't feel comfortable on the 29. If you're around the lv in the spring let me know....well if I've gotten my ass in better shape to ride with someone.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
boostedekk20

Member #17916

My Ride:
1996 Civic K20a2 Boosted

french creek is sick def a good place to go

boostedekk20 is offline   Reply With Quote