TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
zigroid
Tri-State Training Wheels
Banned

Member #2854

My Ride:
'99 firebird, '92 caddy

project: bastard

this is my 1993 Ford Mustang LX notchback...

its... uhhh... ugly.... yeah. I picked it up for $250 from a friend's brother. its an ex-4cyl car now a no-cyl car. since it was a 4 popper the torque boxes and general chassis isn't twisted. I plan on stripping it bare then only putting back the bare necessities to go really fast in a straight line.

heres what I'll be stuffing her with...

that would be an LS2 out of a 2005 GTO. 400 hp/400 tq. but I couldn't stop there. so I bought a set of L92 heads to replace the stock LS2 heads.

heres a shot of the LS2 combustion chambers on top, and the L92 combustion chambers on bottom.

A close up of the combustion chambers side by side, L92 on left and LS2 on right.

exhaust ports, LS2 top, L92 bottom.

A look at under the valve covers, LS2 top, L92 bottom. you can see how GM spread the pushrod holes further apart to make a wider port. you can see the exhaust pushrod hole and exhaust spring perches line up but the intakes do not. this means I need an offset intake rocker. oddly enough the offset intake rocker costs less than the exhaust rocker used on all LS1s, LS2s, and LS6s, which I already have.

Heres the LS2 intake ports (top) and L92 intake ports (bottom).

close up shot of the intake ports, L92 top, LS2 bottom.

heads installed on engine, L92 left, LS2 right.

power will be transferred through a GM 4L80E transmission.

so theres what I currently have. one might ask how am I going to put a GM engine in a ford chassis? answer is simple. use a 4.6L k-member and 4.6L mounts modified to bolt to an LSx!
heres a picture of my mounts.

you can see in the 2nd picture how the lone bolt hole was extended and the two bolt holes were enlarged slightly. thats all that is needed to modify a 4.6L mount to work with an LS1. I just need to purchase a 4.6L k-member and I'll be good to go.

thats about all I have so far. I need to sell my firebird, supra, and old 4L60E trans to help fund the rest of the project.

my plans are:

engine:
LS2 block
4" forged stroker crank
4" bore forged pistons
6.125" forged rods
= 402 cubes
mildly ported L92 heads. should easily eclipse 300 cfm of flow on the intake.
custom specced hydraulic roller cam.
stock LS2 lifters/timing chain/timing cover.
single plane carb style manifold
carbuerator (unsure of size, maybe a 750 demon carb)
mezeire electric "race" water pump
only accessory will be the alternator. crank wont drive anything else.

Im HOPING that I produce in the neighborhood of 600 flywheel hp with this setup. I would really like to make 500 rwhp all motor through the automatic.

I am undecided on what I'll do for suspension/chassis modifications. I will be stripping the car and removing any unesecessary items. heating and air conditioning gone, radio and speakers gone, rear seat and carpet gone.

It will definitely be getting a roll cage and sub frame connectors right away to keep the chassis and body straight. beyond that, I am undecided.

performance wise I would love to break into the 10s all motor. a fellow LS1 mustang owner with a full weight mustang, LS1, t56 6 speed, and tubular front suspension weighed in at 2850 lbs. I think that I can get mine down to 2700 lbs without myself in it and 2900 with me in it (after I do a little weight reduction on myself )
a 2900 lb car properly set up with good traction should only need ~440 rwhp to run 10s. I think I'll be in good shape

of course, anything here is subject to change and I'll update it as I gather pieces.
zigroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Looks like a fun project. I bet that motor would love the spray, but id like to see you run 10's on motor. Keep us updated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
FASTERTHANU
Tri-State Addict

Member #1021

My Ride:
EVO

good luck, hey evo8kid, whats poppin' tonight