TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
04GTRACER
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #285

My Ride:
1999 Peon

Your modified exhaust is against the law.

I was recently pulled over by the police. Not for speeding or any other real violation, but for a license plate cover with a slight tint. A tint that is so slight that during the night you can still clearly read my plate from up to 3 blocks away. While I was being written for that violation the officer informed me that any type of modification to your exhaust that makes it "not stock" could also earn you a ticket. I thought that as long as you had a cat and a muffler and were able to pass PA inspection you were in the clear, but that is not the case. I received a warning for the exhaust violation and was sent on my way with a end of the month 107 dollar ticket. I looked into the exhaust law and spoke with some other police officers and they all said that modified exhaust is a violation and you could be written a ticket. Does anyone know this law to be any different?
99 Dodge Neon-Side Exit Exhaust, MP high rate springs, Addco sway bars, Moroso high cap oil pan, Ebay intake, Half caged, Carbon hood, Head work, A\C delete, Ebay strut bar, Hahn Stage 2 intercooled turbo kit with beat super 16g turbo.
04GTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
TEH WHAT?!?!?!? They passed that retarded law! I don't get it, this is **** that jersey pulls, not PA.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:
1996 7.3 f250, 2001 Focus wagon

Screw that. Yea, they say that its "illegal" or whatever, but if its under 93 db at 3,000 rpm its legal by the db rating and thats all that matters... to me atleast LOL.

My 1st ZX2 S/R. The S/R came with a borla muffler among other parts from the factory. After a few guys had problems with officers, they would get a note / proof that it was a factory option in 1999 and 2000 from FORD, the tickets were dropped.

Guess where the S/R was introduced in 1999. CALIFORNIA. If the muffler passes there, it passes anywhere LOL. The muffler was rated at 89 db.

Im sure there will be debate to this topic. Theres always those guys that say "93 db is a made up number". It took me a few hours to find 2 years ago but I found it... but that doesnt meen that the law couldnt have changed so maby it has?
yellow2000S/R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

do u think cops really have something to measure noise? yeah right next to their mase and walking stick.....come on, cops pull u over for anything dumb, like that license plate ish and will wirte u for anything under the sun if they dont like u. its profiling, they see a kid in some jap car with a fart can u r goin down. its a shame but its the truth....everyone convert to sleeper mode and ride below the radar!
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
cops are assholes

/thread.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
Everyone grab some PBA cards
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

i wonder if that law did pass or that cop was just in a bad mood that day, i always thought the same thing, which is if you have your cat still installed and pass emissions then your good to go
tjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
i wonder if that law did pass or that cop was just in a bad mood that day, i always thought the same thing, which is if you have your cat still installed and pass emissions then your good to go
that is the law.

but cops have qoutas so they can look good and keep there jobs.

jus ask them why they get to be on there laptop while driven...garunteed p.o
Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
dubjinc
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4368

My Ride:
93' civic

after the police officer has our information and goes back to his car, he's not looking up info on the database, he's actually playing tetris.
dubjinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubjinc View Post
after the police officer has our information and goes back to his car, he's not looking up info on the database, he's actually playing tetris.
thats really not true, casue i know at least 3 cops that cant even turn the computer on, their all about the old school and would never give out a ticket for a muffler...too much paper work
Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
240sxDann
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1229

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to 240sxDann
why is it cops target imports so much more then domestics? My car is loud as hell with an ehxuast leak and no cats, and I've yet to have any trouble.
If you find a woman with zero drama issues or emotional baggage, check for a scar where her penis used to be.
Quote:
i finger myself to latin jazz sometimes
240sxDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Thats law has been passed, they just dont enforce it all that much. Asshole cops use it as a bigger penis.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
tjf
Tri-State Addict

Member #2754

actually what i just read was that the law was passed in april 2005 and then up pending renewal or somethin
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
its still active though. ive been pulled over plenty of times for it. never got a ticket just a warning, anyone whos heard my car knows why lol.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
turbo4g63
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1057

My Ride:
98' 4runner

Send a message via AIM to turbo4g63
i already knew about the licence plate law...you're not supposed to have anything covering or blocking it. The exhaust is regulated by noise and you are supposed to have a muffler and a cat.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxDann View Post
why is it cops target imports so much more then domestics? My car is loud as hell with an ehxuast leak and no cats, and I've yet to have any trouble.

bc they hate jap cars. cops are hillbilly red necks and they only pull over muscle cars to ask the driver to do a smokey burnout! whoooo doggie!!!! dat dem dere got a hemi aint it? aww shucks! do anudder burnout, git r dun!!!!
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
wow there's a lot of generalizing going on in this thread. guess we shouldnt have laws at all, and let the criminals out of jail while we're at it. yup, 'cops' as a whole are assholes huh? sounds like some of you need to look in the mirror.
ignorance is not an excuse when you break a law so if you're concerned you might not know the laws in your area, start reading up. i thought it was pretty common knowledge that modifying your exhaust is illegal (where it be for more noise or less emissions), and that putting something to make your license plate less visible is illegal too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

Personally, I would take pictures of your exhaust and fight it. Just be truthful with the judge. Say that you have a cat and a muffler and that you thought it was legal. Even better would be to put the stock muffler back on and show pictures of it as well. At that point I would be highly surprised if they don't drop it. Just my 2 cents

Dumb ass for not changing my password.

I lied about everything. All of it. I owned some great cars because my ex wife dedicated her life to me. I treated her like total sh**, because my d**k was more important than she was! She divorced me.

I am into drugs and Motorcycles, guns and my bff Brandon and girls that look just like my mother. Pronouns: they, them. hyper-sexual narcissist.

markley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #19
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
he got a ticket for the license plate cover and a warning for the exhaust. honestly i think you should be happy you didnt get a ticket for both. regardless of cat or not, there are also volume limits which it sounds like you're not following. hey, i'm not following them either, but i know that i gotta pay to play so if i ever get a ticket for exhaust or tint then i know its just the risk i chose to take.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #20
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerKai View Post
Everyone grab some PBA cards
What's that?

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote