TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Inspection N Emissions

History of this mofo. Is overpriced in everything but when he needs a favor he wants the cheap route. lies to ppl, always a hipocrit and btw is an ugly ****.

So i'm mad, i was told my car wouldn't pass inspection cuz my timing belt cover is off and the emissions cuz of the Unichip. so i asked my dad if he knew somebody who pass it and he brings up this one mofo. He went today and asked him if he could get the stickers and he said yea sure. for $180 and on top of that he wanted to take my car to philly and get it done.

Im like. well look i'm an automotive technician myself and i know those stickers cost about $4-5 for both and about $10 for gas and maybe $50 for the favor.

nooooo he wants $180 so i got soooo mad. My dad told me over the phone and i'm cursing up a storm calling him greedy, stupid, gay. thinks i'm some other messican ( he mostly does them for messicans cuz they have $200 cars and ****. they won't pass anything ) so my dad is like, u come here and tell him that **** and i'm like, i got things to do. i can't pay $180 cuz i have to put gas in the car, eat during the week, the usual groceries and wash my clothes.

im going to remove my unichip, install my covers and see what i can do with that. cuz my car needed inspection/emissions last month. so im late and still driving it around. haven't gotten caught.

ps. btw this mofo would get my car stolen in philly and that was the first thing i thought. he would set it all up, he's done it to other ppl. so for my cars sake, i would never let him take it anywhere. and it cost $60 to get it done around here. if i fail, thats only $120 when i take it back u know? so its still $60 cheaper if i do it legally.

what a **** tard, i swear! he thinks i'm sooo stupid.

just venting

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Omar_MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
180sxDrifter
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #585

My Ride:
06 STI, S13 Silvia, Ruckus

Send a message via AIM to 180sxDrifter Send a message via MSN to 180sxDrifter
yea my eclipse expired in may... got cought with it too... if you find a hookup thats not a complete rip off let me know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

06 Sti-Built motor....stock turbo
89 S13-aero, Silvia front coupe blah blah blah
180sxDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

I'm going to be legit, i just have to remove my chip and install my timing covers. thats all. prolly take 1 hr of my time. i'll do it next weekend.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Sometimes you have to pay to play. Be careful you don't get screwed. If you put all the stuff back on and you still fail emissions, some shops won't touch your car. Maybe it throws a flag to the state once you have failed once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburwell View Post
Sometimes you have to pay to play. Be careful you don't get screwed. If you put all the stuff back on and you still fail emissions, some shops won't touch your car. Maybe it throws a flag to the state once you have failed once.
i haven't taken it anywhere yet. i'm saying, i know my chip will fail emissions. it disables 5 sensors that won't read so it fails. and my timing cover is " unsafe " i dunno, but i gotta get that on aswell.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
mattcosta7
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5479

My Ride:
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo/Targa - Blown Engine

Send a message via AIM to mattcosta7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburwell View Post
Its moreso the fact that too many variables go into the emissions output, and most shops are already too busy to deal with diagnosing the issue. Worst comes to worst, make friends with a mech who can get you a voucher (ie, 600 dollars spent toward fixing the issue = no more issue, as you're given a waiver)
mattcosta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar_MSP View Post
i haven't taken it anywhere yet. i'm saying, i know my chip will fail emissions. it disables 5 sensors that won't read so it fails. and my timing cover is " unsafe " i dunno, but i gotta get that on aswell.
Don't even worry about anything not related to the computer. Just find a shop that will just run the computer scan. The place I usually goes to doesn't even do the visual because they know I keep up on my car.

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcosta7 View Post
Its moreso the fact that too many variables go into the emissions output, and most shops are already too busy to deal with diagnosing the issue. Worst comes to worst, make friends with a mech who can get you a voucher (ie, 600 dollars spent toward fixing the issue = no more issue, as you're given a waiver)
I see what you are saying. I was talking more about the shops that can "get" you stickers. Some of them can't/won't get you stickers if you have already failed.

-

Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

You're a tech? It's hard to tell, if you think you're going to fail safety for a timing belt cover.

I'm a tech and I'm licensed to do Safety and Emissions inspections. Having your timing belt cover off will not fail safety, since its not a threat to other motorists on the road or make your car unsafe to yourself.

What sensors does your chip disable? As long as its not throwing a CEL and allowing all the monitors to set it will pass.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduh View Post
You're a tech? It's hard to tell, if you think you're going to fail safety for a timing belt cover.

I'm a tech and I'm licensed to do Safety and Emissions inspections. Having your timing belt cover off will not fail safety, since its not a threat to other motorists on the road or make your car unsafe to yourself.

What sensors does your chip disable? As long as its not throwing a CEL and allowing all the monitors to set it will pass.
i wasn't sure if it was for safety but i would think it would be a requirement.

and no CEL's. i was told by other that have my chip that they failed because of 5 sensors not showing. and when they removed the chip and sent it back, it passed.

so i'll take it in on monday/tuesday, if i'm lucky then i'll pass. the car runs fine and everything. i have a cat on my exhaust so i know its clean.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

you should be fine if you put the stock chip back in. having a cat on 96+ cars won't make it fail usually as long as the downstream o2 sensor doesnt have a fit about it since only 95 and older get sniffed, but it will fail for visual.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
my car blows out black smoke and its emissions test free
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

your tdi? thats kinda normal for them. what year is it? like I said, 96+ don't have to have the tail pipes sniffed.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
I'll get anybody inspected for like $60 let me know.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
well i'll be giving jeffros a call soon
Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #16
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
damn dude i paid 20 to get my stickers for the 240...oh and 120 for the ticket i got for driving around before hand haha.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #17
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffros Spec V View Post
o rly?

pm sent

Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
blu4door
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #504

My Ride:
1979 ford econoline van

I just got my explorer inspected it cost me a whole $2.12
blu4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
mattcosta7
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5479

My Ride:
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo/Targa - Blown Engine

Send a message via AIM to mattcosta7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffros Spec V View Post
any friends in ny with a similar mantra?
mattcosta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #20
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
bumping this thread cause i got cited today and need "inspected"