TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
andrewv.
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #21311

My Ride:
'04 Honda S2000

Question about my citations (Please Read)

Following my accident, the officer at the site decided to get me for the following things for my car: Having stickers on the front windshield (On the far passenger side), car too low, and my tires sticking out.

I just read the vehicle safety regulations subchapter E (for Passenger Cars and Light trucks). Here is what I have found:

1. For my stickers, I found that it wouldnt pass inspection because a few of them go below the AS-1 line despite that they dont affect my visibility what so ever. But the officer said he is willing to work with me on this one. Before the accident I did have a rock chip and I was going to replace the windshield soon and not put any stickers on it anyway but thats besides the point, I had them on when the accident occured so I am not arguing about this one too much.

2. He stated that it was illegal to lower my car and deemed that it is "unsafe." I understand cutting springs can be unsafe, but when you purchase coilovers I dont get what is unsafe about that. I have called up a few inspection places and neither of them said that they would fail a car if it is lowered. Now unless I accidently skipped over it, in subchapter E, I did not find anything about a car being lowered, or reject if the car is too low. The only thing I did find was this, "REJECT IF.. (v) The front wheels cannot be turned to the full right or left position without binding or interference." MY front tires could turn both left and right without rubbing. So unless its in the police code book, I could not find it anywere other than that in the inspection book. So if it is a so called inspection to make sure your car is road legal then it should be listed in there. I have been reading on here and some people say 24" from the ground to center of the headlight but I did not find that in this sub-chapter.

3. For my tires sticking out, I have found this. Under section E. Beneath the Vehicle Inspection. REJECT IF... "(ix) A tire's tread extends beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares." My tread did not stick out under the fenders, how a slight bit of the sidewall did on the rears. But my argument is, the sidewall is NOT tread. The only place the tread shows is near the bottom of the bumper. How ever if you look at alot of the cars today, some of the tread pops out near the bumper because they have a little bit of camber and or the rear bumper cuts in. But other than that, under the fender well, my tread did not stick out.

I did receive a careless driving ticket but he is willing to work with me on that so I do not receive points and the sticker violation. But never said anything about the other two. I am not trying to argue with anyone here but I am just trying to help my self out, trying to get my facts straight.

If anyone wants to read what I was reading here is the pdf

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../section_e.pdf

Last edited by andrewv.; 01-29-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added pdf
andrewv. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
the_204
[TST] Police Officer

Member #19924

My Ride:
2004 Infiniti G35

Well I can tell you this much, that's not title 75 where we get our violations from that you've posted. I am interested in seeing what he charged you with for your car being lowered. Thats new to me. I'm gonna look at my vehicle code tonight. I'll give you an answer on this when I check my sources out and clarify for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The_204
the_204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
andrewv.
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #21311

My Ride:
'04 Honda S2000

After pleading not guilty since he said he is willing to work with me on the careless driving and the sticker charge, here is what it says:

Improper Tires - 75 § 4525 §§ A (Lead)

Oper/Perm Op W/Unsafe Eqmt/ - 75 § 4107 §§ B2 (Lead)

Careless Driving - 75 § 3714 §§ A (Lead)

Obstructed Window - 75 § 4524 §§ A (Lead)

They pretty much are what they say, the second one is the fine for my car being too low. At the time of the accident he told me it was illegal to modify the suspension, and on the notes on the citation he put modified suspension, too low.
andrewv. is offline   Reply With Quote