TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

Send a message via AIM to Nors
F1 Coming to Monticello???

Quote:

The boss of a track in New York state has told the BBC it is in talks to host a Formula 1 grand prix in 2012.
Representatives of Monticello Motor Club and F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone have been in talks regarding bringing the sport back to the United States.
"There was some agreement that Monticello could host a race," MMC chairman Bill McMichael told BBC Sport.
The US last held a grand prix in 2007 at the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indiana.
Its eight-year run was ended after Ecclestone failed to come to an agreement with the circuit's chiefs over new terms.

606: DEBATE
Is there an appetite for F1 in the US?
Monticello chairman McMichael, along with circuit president Ari Strauss, met Ecclestone and F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke in 2009.
"We had contacted F1, specifically Ecclestone, last year with regards to potentially hosting an F1 race," added McMichael.
"After the meeting they said Monticello would be a nice place to host an F1 event. Since then we've been engaged in talks with the local government and F1 management in an attempt to finalise terms, but they haven't been finalised yet."
In order to be race ready for 2012, Tilke recommended that improvements would have to made to the grounds and the 4.1-mile circuit which is located in the Catskill mountains, about 75 minutes' drive from downtown Manhattan.
"It's a little bit early to say exactly how much it will cost but we will need to find approximately $150m," added McMichael.
The MMC is a private members club and McMichael said some of the funding for improvements would be provided by themselves.
"We'll try to get the money through a combination of public and private sources," he continued.
"We can fund some on our own as a private entity. But we've pointed out the positive economic impact on the host city and community to local government officials. They are sorting a financial package that would support such an expenditure."

We will now continue to negotiate with F1 management until both sides have agreement - then we pursue an event as quickly as possible
MMC chairman Bill McMichael
McMichael did not divulge what modifications would be needed to be made to the circuit, which is hopeful of a 10-year deal with F1.
The United States's relationship with the sport has been intermittent.
In 1961, Watkins Glen, in upstate New York, became the venue for the US GP and it hosted the event for 20 years.
Between 1976 to 1980 the race became known as the United States Grand Prix East in order to differentiate itself from the United States Grand Prix West which was held in Long Beach, California.
Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all hosted F1 races in the intervening years, before Indianapolis Motor Speedway, renowned for the Indy 500, became regular US hosts from 2000.
But in 2005, controversy blighted the race as a result of the Michelin tyre safety row which meant that the only cars on the starting grid were those of Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi.
Seven teams withdrew from the race after the formation lap.
Two years later, Indianapolis lost its right to host F1 and Ecclestone was quoted as saying: "It's all the wrong crowd and the wrong people."
"We would not run into a similar situation as Indianapolis," said McMichael.
"There would be enormous interest from the European, Asian and South American fan bases here. And hosting near New York makes sense in terms or travel, availability of hotel rooms and entertainment options."
McMichael added: "We will now continue to negotiate with F1 management until both sides have agreement. Then we pursue an event as quickly as possible."
The F1 calendar will expand from 19 to 20 races in 2011, while three races, the Chinese, Japanese and Turkish, are not contracted for 2012.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8697770.stm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...4PsV-8hC_TDjzg

10 year deal? Thats what am I talking about!
2002 Volkswagen GTi - Sold |1995 Honda Accord - Sold | 1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Project - Sold | 1996 Acura Integra RS - Sold
Nors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
FocusDude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6269

My Ride:
01 Focus ZX3

Holy ****... There was the chance to run on that track like last month.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FocusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
agencyone0one
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15440

My Ride:
96 Talon Tsi, 04' DRZ 400 SM: SOLD, 04' Sv 650: Sold :(

I WILL be there if F1 races. That would be so amazing!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
flashgordon
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #2836

My Ride:
'90 Miata

I would not get my hopes very high. There is no way this will happen. The track doesn't come close to meeting the safety requirements and would have to spend way too much to get the needed safety work done. There is no infrastructure to support a F1 was at the track or in the area either. The place was built as a country club but not as a race track. This is a simple plot to build some interest in the place since the club is not doing as well as the owners had hoped. If you get the chance to drive there it is a great track, but not suited for racing.
flashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

Not getting my hopes up, but the fact that Bernie Eccelstone got in contact with MMC first seems like a pretty good thing to me. Bernie has been trying to get a NYGP for a few years now, he recently tried Manhattan and Jersey City and had no luck. F1 brings money, so I do not think any upgrades will be much of a problem.

Also this is a quote from another article:

"Hermann Tilke, the chief engineer and circuit designer for F1, spent time at MMC and confirmed that our track and surrounding properties, with some expansion and minor track modifications, is an excellent location for a Grand Prix"

So is this:

"Securing F1 is like winning the Olympics, competition is fierce, and this is not a done deal. While the prospect of F1 at MMC is exciting, we remain focused on our core business: The club and its members" - Ari Strauss (President of MMC)
2002 Volkswagen GTi - Sold |1995 Honda Accord - Sold | 1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Project - Sold | 1996 Acura Integra RS - Sold
Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

NOOOOOOOOO

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

Quote:

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
agencyone0one
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15440

My Ride:
96 Talon Tsi, 04' DRZ 400 SM: SOLD, 04' Sv 650: Sold :(

Figures.

Lucky for me I have friends who live in a suburb right outside Austin
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

At one point, there were two F1 races a year in the U.S. at different locations. I'm not sure that could happen with the current schedule.
Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

Not likely. I think they are already at 19 races this year. Thats alot of races already, and many other cities want to come back or start a new GP there. Also, Monticello is awfully close to Montreal, so unless the Canadian GP goes away, I don't see much of a chance for 2 US GP's, would be sick though!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
fightinchunk
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5306

My Ride:
92 SR S13 vert, 05 LGT Built 2.3L hta68

to anyone buy tony george
fightinchunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
TheFlash42
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #5175

My Ride:
96 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nors View Post
Not likely. I think they are already at 19 races this year. Thats alot of races already, and many other cities want to come back or start a new GP there. Also, Monticello is awfully close to Montreal, so unless the Canadian GP goes away, I don't see much of a chance for 2 US GP's, would be sick though!
Crosses fingers for Canadian GP to go away
TheFlash42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
AJ Hartman
Tri-State Addict

Member #10560

My Ride:
98 Mustang/99 mustang

i just got a DVR so I can keep up with F1, as well as other racing series. I would def go to a race if they had one in the US.
AJ Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote