TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Send a message via AIM to TunedIS300
open up shop!

so i have 4 buddy including myself that are thinkin about each one of us taking out a loan to start up a speed shop. between us 5 we are all in diff part of the auto game so to say. we planned that the shop would an really all around shop. from honda to vdubbs and subies since we all have our own intrested in diff cars. but i was wondering has anyone gone thru the process anything i need to look out for.. any advice and what to do..? this is just a something id post to get advice and such if anyone has been thru it. me and my buddies are all doing research and callin places to find out pricing and such. we all still goin to skool a 2 r at uti this year and couple just regular college so it will be a on goin project to get everything up and running.
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
TunedIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

Are you looking to make a profit? Or even break even? 5 business partners isn't the best idea.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujito View Post
Are you looking to make a profit? Or even break even? 5 business partners isn't the best idea.
yea we havent really narrowed it down me and a buddy were just talkin bout it were gonna keep it at 3 but we thought we needed more ppl to get loan to rent the shop this is why im doin a little research and and asking around for advice before we even make a move. cuz i dont wnana bite off more then i can chew and end up in a big problem
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
mechanikdan
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8502

My Ride:
98 prelude, 93 Q45, 93 240sx, 90 240sx, 91 240sx vert, hyundai accent, mazda 6, 2010 subaru impreza

omg i just poured out 20 years in the industry to you and advice and it says internal error and its gone.. Holy shi tttt....... I will do it again tonight when i get home.
mechanikdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanikdan View Post
omg i just poured out 20 years in the industry to you and advice and it says internal error and its gone.. Holy shi tttt....... I will do it again tonight when i get home.
awwww man! deff if u can do it agian im willin to read haha thanks
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
CANNIBALOFDOOM
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13467

My Ride:
2012 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to CANNIBALOFDOOM
the non auto stuff is gonna be your downfall. That is usually the case with any type of small business. The government has programs to help out and help get loans and such.
If you do get it running and i do wish you the best of luck just do the very best yuo can, cut no corners and your not gonna make a profit for a little while anyway so just do such a good jbo that people are willing to spend more/drive to use your shop. Also figure out the other shops around and what they are known for best( like good at suspension work or good at engine work) and try to focus on something different. Work of mouth is always great prob most the vendors on this site do well cause of word of mouth
just my 2 cents.
CANNIBALOFDOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
have any of you actually worked in the industry? if not you have no idea whats in store for you.if your all just out of school (or still in school) and never worked in a shop, dont waste your money. work for a few years and see if you still want to do it.
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALOFDOOM View Post
the non auto stuff is gonna be your downfall. That is usually the case with any type of small business. The government has programs to help out and help get loans and such.
If you do get it running and i do wish you the best of luck just do the very best yuo can, cut no corners and your not gonna make a profit for a little while anyway so just do such a good jbo that people are willing to spend more/drive to use your shop. Also figure out the other shops around and what they are known for best( like good at suspension work or good at engine work) and try to focus on something different. Work of mouth is always great prob most the vendors on this site do well cause of word of mouth
just my 2 cents.
thats will keep all that in mind like i said im just doing research and taking advice now so thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
have any of you actually worked in the industry? if not you have no idea whats in store for you.if your all just out of school (or still in school) and never worked in a shop, dont waste your money. work for a few years and see if you still want to do it.
we are all in school out of us 3 2 of us are starting 1st year at UTI and im goin to school for business/accounting we have no worked in the industry i work at a detail shop for a dealership so i kinda get the drift a tiny bit
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
I don't want to shoot down any dreams but when i think of things like this i really never see it working out and this was before the economy got the way it is now. Considering you have no business background and a few of your friends are still in uti what can you do to get people to come to your shop? I know i wouldn't and know a ton of other people who would never just take their car to a unknown shop with no credibility. There is already enough shops out there with a good reputation that people could go to if needed. Sure you can try and get basic maintenance work here and there but what kind of money especially with 3+ partners are you going to make? I think your best bet is to try and get more experience and work your way up in the business first. Hopefully by saving money, gaining the experience and hopefully a name for yourself by doing side work a few years down the road you and your friends could try and come together to make this dream come true.

This seems to be every dream of a guy going to a tech school. Once they get out of the school and get a job or see how it really works everything changes. Obviously nothing happens without trying but just really think your options through before making a huge investment with a bunch of friends. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
pinacup7
Tri-State Addict

Member #1764

My Ride:
Baaaaahd GTO

Send a message via AIM to pinacup7
Don't do it. Most independent shops can't make money anymore. Also from some of the questions you have asked on here you don't have the greatest knowledge of cars. Save your money
pinacup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacup7 View Post
Don't do it. Most independent shops can't make money anymore. Also from some of the questions you have asked on here you don't have the greatest knowledge of cars. Save your money
yea im not biggest supporter of this idea but im taking advice for the other to im probly gonna be at psu if this does even happen gotta become a doctor cuz imm asian lol but just takin down advices and such to pass on
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
enigma
Tri-State Addict

Member #2659

My Ride:
Hoopties galore

Send a message via AIM to enigma
Yaa, I'd suggest against it as well. Its one thing to do on the side for a few years, in addition to a normal job. But be very careful about making you hobby your job. I've met too many people (myself included) that get burned out doing what they "love" from the idiots around them. I worked at a hobby shop for 6 years, after i left, it took me another 2 before i could touch a RC car again, i was that fed up with dealing with them. Most of the time, when you are a mechanic, the last thing you want to do at the end of the day is work on your own car.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
The more people you depend on, the more people there are to let you down. So many partners is asking for trouble no matter what field you'd be going into.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
TunedIS300
Tri-State Addict

Member #5696

My Ride:
family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
The more people you depend on, the more people there are to let you down. So many partners is asking for trouble no matter what field you'd be going into.
you couldnt be more right.
94 boosted civic-sold
11 lancer-current
Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Find something you really like to do and get awesome at it. Tuners can make lots of money. A GOOD alignment tech is near impossible to find. ect ect

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
RSX Type-Slow
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5868

My Ride:
99' Civic Si

Send a message via AIM to RSX Type-Slow
you have to learn how to walk before you run young grasshopper.

I think your goals are too much too soon. And Troll, great advice for anyone!

Dropped and swapped Civic Si
RSX Type-Slow is offline   Reply With Quote