TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Home Page News > TST's Car of the Month
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
Car Of The Month: Mar '08 - 2MCHPWR

Car Of The Month: Mar '08
2MCHPWR'S LS1 Swapped 1993 Mazda RX-7

TST: Scott thanks for taking the time to answer some questions for me today. First, how did you hear about TST?
Scott: I have no idea!*Maybe I Googled RX7 when I first got it in June 2005.

TST: What or who got you into cars and how old were you?*
Scott: I went to high school in Marlboro which is next door to Englishtown. First pass was in 1991 in my 86 mustang GT with my buddy Tom X.*My younger brother, Howie, was also racing with us back in the day with his LX 5.0.

TST: What is you car history ie what are all the cars you have owned fast slow or otherwise?*
Scott: 86 mustang GT, 86 mustang SVO, 89 mustang LX notch police package (10.33 at 133), 1987 Pontiac GTA 350 tpi, 1999 Pontiac firebird formula hardtop 6m (11.5 at 120). They are all listed on my site, www.Ponycars.net and the 89 Stang was featured in many mustang magazine articles which are scanned and on my site.

TST: Out of all of those what is your favorite and why?*
Scott: This one, my RX7, because its the sexiest*and lightest and best handling.

TST: I know you do alot of auto-xing and a fair amount of road racing as well as drag racing, but out of all of those which is your favorite to participate in with the RX-7 and why?*
Scott: I love road course action the most but its the riskiest so I only do it 3 times per year approximately and you can't always push yourself and the car to 100% on a road track for fear of a high speed wreck. So I autocross most often because I can go over 100% safely.

TST: I know you mentioned to me before when you bought the car with the swap it had only about 20 miles on it how many have you put on it since you have owned it?
Scott: I got the car with 65k miles (20 miles on the swap) and now the odometer says something like 72k miles. They haven't been easy miles.

TST: I know we talked shortly about your new tires being wider for this season, has anything else changed on the set up of the car for this year?
Scott: All these were done over this winter to get ready for the 2008 season:
* JRZ coilovers (3 way adjustable with external reservoirs) with eibach springs 900/650. (had older kyb's with progressive soft springs)*
**SSR wheels 18x9.5 with 285/30/18 all around (had 245 front/275 rear before)*
**Ride height lowered from 26 to 25.25 inches.*
**Corner weight changes improved weight distribution from 51% front/49 rear to 49 front/51% rear.*
**Tripoint Engineering 3 piece front tubular swaybar 5 adjustment holes (had 1 piece solid before).*
**Increased front camber from -1.6 to -2.0.*
* Evans high flow water pump
* Earls oil cooler (bigger than the one I had previously)
* Katech belt tensioner (belt kept popping off)
* Changing some of my tan interior plastics to black

TST: What if any plans do you have for the car in the future?*
Scott: Maybe c6 z06 clutch and aluminum flywheel, maybe roll-bar (4 point).

TST: I know you have put alot of time effort and money into this car do you ever see yourself selling it?*
Scott: Not sure. You got $35k?

TST: If you did ever sell it what would you buy?*
Scott: Not sure either. What other car weighs 2825 lbs with perfect weight distribution that make 474 hp at the crank? I would love a GT3 but can't afford one. Same with c6 z06. At least I know my car can hang with both of those cars on any type of track.

TST: One thing that i thought was very different about your car besides the whole v8 in a rx7 was the down turned exhaust what is the purpose of that, is it for noise restrictions at tracks and auto-x's?*
Scott: Yeah its to keep it quiet; Lime Rock has strict noise regulations. And I think its sort of like a muscle car turn down which I like because its not what you have ever seen on an rx7.

TST: I have to say it was great hearing a v8 rumble come out of the rx7, what is the weirdest question or comment anyone has ever said or asked you about your car with the swap?
Scott: Nothing too weird. None car-people always ask what type of car it is because its pretty rare, very small and pretty sexy. Car guys love it but some rotary fanatics get over-zealous about "you removed the soul" type of BS but that has never happened to me in person. Just in cyber land.

TST: Scott you also mentioned you're married; is your wife supportive of your car and you racing your car?*
Scott: Well she "lets" me race about once per month so yes she is very supportive. She doesn't come watch any races like she used to when we were dating. I have 2 very young boys and I can't wait for them to be older to help me out at the races (Jake and Noah are 3 and 4 now).

TST: I appreciate you taking the time to speak with us today are there any shout out or thank you's you would like to give at this time?
Scott: Johann is a great mechanic. David at New Brunswick Toyota does great alignments for me. Motorsports Northeast (http://www.motorsportsne.com/) and PDA (http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/) are great racing clubs that I'm associated with.

TST: Thanks again Scott for taking the time to speak with us today, hope we see you out at some events this season.

User Information:
Username:*2MCHPWR*

Cooling:
Oil Cooler
Power Steering cooler
Custom Hinson aluminum radiator

Engine Mods:
1998 LS1 engine stroked to 370 cubic inches making 398 at wheels
Custom Hinson headers, no cats. 3.5 inch Y pipe, 3.5 inch all the way back, bullet muffler AND Hooker aerochamber muffler.
Evans high flow water pump
255lph pump, Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Braided #6 lines & AN fittings, Inline fuel filter, Snap on fuel rail connector for #6 connection
Hyperion fuel tank baffle/bucket cover
Underdriven crank pulley (5.625 inch diameter, 25% underdriven, Stock crank pulley is 7.5")
Katech billet belt tensioner
Tuned with LS1 Edit*

Drivetrain:
Mcleod rev-lok II clutch.
1998 T-56 was rebuilt by Jay Fisher Pontiac
Kazz racing diff with 3.90 gears.
300M Super duty racing axles.
Custom Hinson aluminum driveshaft
Custom Hinson power steering

Suspension & Brakes:
JRZ coilovers and Eibach springs
Poly Diff bushings
Tubular Trailing arms with rod-ends
Adjustable toe links with rod-ends
Hawk HP+ for track, HPS for street
Stainless steel brake lines
Tripoint Engineering Front Swaybar (stock rear bar)
Widefoot front swaybar mounts and spacers
Stock ABS braking system*

Wheels & Tires:
SSR Competition wheels
Falken Azenis street tires
Kumho v710 racing tires

Interior:
Black door panels and center console from 1994 RX7 (used to have tan panels)
SLP shift knob
Autometer gauges (fuel pressure, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp)
Autometer LED shift light
Black leather seats (recovered)
Sparco Roadster drivers seat for the track
Momo non-air bag steering wheel from JDM RX7
Gas pedal adapter to make it wider
I.C.E.
Boston Acoustic and Polk speakers
Sony head unit

Exterior:
Electron Blue paint from corvette
Stock Mazda RX7 R1 wing and front bumper lip

Click Here To See More Pictures
Gentleman do what ever it takes to empty our coffers lapdances, champagne dances, shower dances. Oh the things you can buy for a handfull of bills. It makes me excited. It gives me the chills. Thell be filcher rubs, breeders, hambones and tweeners, zobos and debos and blorps that go eenah. for a one dollar bill you can pull down their zippers.
I am the snorlax, I speak for the strippers!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Dr.Evo
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #15764

My Ride:
2005 Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR

very nice
Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
xeclipsegtx
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #3312

My Ride: