TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #201
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Spring rate testers aren't TOO expensive... heh
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #202
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Spring rate testers aren't TOO expensive... heh
I checked Amazon and was finding them for $1,000...

Do you know a cheaper way to do this measurement? The information would be valuable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #203
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I checked Amazon and was finding them for $1,000...

Do you know a cheaper way to do this measurement? The information would be valuable.
I was being a smart-ass.... You can find them much cheaper on racingjunk though

If I was doing it without spending much money, I'd drill a hole in a table (one that can support a lot of weight) and stick the spring on top with the threaded rod through the middle. Weights hanging from bottom of threaded rod, bar on top to pull the spring down...

It's easier to just buy a spring rate tester, lol
Old 03-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #204
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I was being a smart-ass.... You can find them much cheaper on racingjunk though

If I was doing it without spending much money, I'd drill a hole in a table (one that can support a lot of weight) and stick the spring on top with the threaded rod through the middle. Weights hanging from bottom of threaded rod, bar on top to pull the spring down...

It's easier to just buy a spring rate tester, lol
Haha, well yeah...price is a big deterrent since I'd only use it for these springs.

$895 looks to buy a decent one. I've found hydraulic ones for $299, but I don't believe they'll fit the width of the front factory springs.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #205
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ouch. That sucks. Find a shop locally that can test them? That's not too uncommon of a machine. I don't have a clue where to start, but maybe ring up OG Racing?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #206
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ouch. That sucks. Find a shop locally that can test them? That's not too uncommon of a machine. I don't have a clue where to start, but maybe ring up OG Racing?
OG Racing sells a Longacre for $1,970. I sent them an email to ask if they knew of a shop that would be able to test the spring rates. fingers crossed

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #207
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
OG Racing sells a Longacre for $1,970. I sent them an email to ask if they knew of a shop that would be able to test the spring rates. fingers crossed
I was really not serious about buying one, I'll ask a few racing buddies... if you're not in a rush and can ship the springs I'm sure I can find somebody that can test
Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #208
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I was really not serious about buying one, I'll ask a few racing buddies... if you're not in a rush and can ship the springs I'm sure I can find somebody that can test
Oh yeah no worries, man . Just hunting down info.

That may actually work! Please let me know what you find out. I'll update the thread with OG's response too. There's gotta be someone out there that's in our area.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #209
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Can you get the dimensions of the springs? Length, width, etc. I know someone that may be able to test them.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #210
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Sweet! Front springs are 10 2/8" height with a max width of 6 5/8", min width of 4 7/8". Distance between the coils are 3 4/8".

Rear springs are 12" height with a max width of 4 4/8" min width of 3 6/8". Distance between coils is 1 3/8".

EDIT: OG replied and recommended a place in Dulles that could get the work in late this month.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 03-10-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #211
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Sweet! Front springs are 10 2/8" height with a max width of 6 5/8", min width of 4 7/8". Distance between the coils are 3 4/8".

Rear springs are 12" height with a max width of 4 4/8" min width of 3 6/8". Distance between coils is 1 3/8".

EDIT: OG replied and recommended a place in Dulles that could get the work in late this month.
I'll ask, but I doubt he'd be able to do anything earlier than that place in Dulles.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #212
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'll ask, but I doubt he'd be able to do anything earlier than that place in Dulles.
Yeah, called RRT at OG's recommendation and will be dropping the springs off with them next week. It'll cost me $40 for them to test the rates.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #213
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Yeah, called RRT at OG's recommendation and will be dropping the springs off with them next week. It'll cost me $40 for them to test the rates.
Damn, not bad. Make sure you don't share with the Camaro community so you can be "that guy"
Old 03-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #214
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Damn, not bad. Make sure you don't share with the Camaro community so you can be "that guy"
Or just post incorrect numbers that are believable enough for them to buy lowering springs. evil.

In other news, the long rumored GM air intake kit w/ tune is supposed to be released on April 1. Yup, April Fools Day. Fitting since this was supposed to come out back in October.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #215
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Odds and ends...

I put on the rear splash guards:

Before:

After:

Tire coverage is pretty good:

Also, I replaced the dealer license plate frame with a Chevy Performance one:

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #216
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Looks like they blend in well.

Any updates on the spring rates?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #217
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Looks like they blend in well.

Any updates on the spring rates?
Thanks! Decided to hold off on installing the front guards due to them not working with the GM aero kit that I've been considering.

Put the summer wheels and tires back on the car last week. Looks so much better and of course the performance improvement is noticeable. Really need to tie down the suspension and it'll be perfect.

No word on rates yet but they're due very soon.

Finally, picked up a ZL1 engine start button for the interior.
http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/zl1-ed...26?parent=1027

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #218
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

aero kit?

keep us up to date on the suspension install

what's the current button?
Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #219
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
aero kit?

keep us up to date on the suspension install

what's the current button?
http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/exteri...it?parent=1024

Toying with the idea of the side skirts and rear diffuser with the ZL-1 wing. Just something a little more aggressive without the poor fit of some aftermarket options. The Fifty already comes with the front splitter so I'd sell that.

Thank you, will do! I have graphs coming my way of the spring rates. They're linear and are 180+ in the front. Waiting on an email with the rest of the information. Overseas this week but once I get back, I'll be able to pick them up and get the install done. Can't wait!

Current button is black with aluminum trim surround. Not a huge must do but thought I'd give it a look since there are aluminum inserts all around the interior. I'll post pics when I get. Ack, should only take 30 minutes to install. (BMW e90 install is easier believe it or not!)

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 03-29-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #220
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Spring rates are in:

front

rear

Front rate increases 41 lbs/in

Rear rate decreases 38 lbs/in

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 04-04-2017 at 01:21 PM.