TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
david gettle
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

pulled over for "dead tag" with permanent registration

My car is a 2002, but was one of only 71 sold in the US with the options package that it came with, as documented by Ford Motor Company.

I have been pulled over twice now because my valid PA tag shows up in the PA database as being a "dead tag" my car is registered as "Modified/Collectable" the registration expiration block on my registration card reads "permanent" is this just something I'm going to have to put up with as long as I have the car?
david gettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
WigWag44
[TST] Police Officer

Member #16486

My Ride:
Chevrolet Caprice

I work in a different state but my advice would be to contact Motor Vehicle and see what the issue is. I assume it's something they can fix in the system so it doesn't come back as a "dead tag" to Police when they run it.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

Thanks, I did ask a PA state trooper about this, he said it's because of the permanent registration (there's no expiration date, and it doesn't have to be renewed, until the car is sold, or passes through two generations of the same family). The database is set up so if a year isn't entered for the expiration date the software reports it as a dead tag. The funny thing is both times I was pulled over while turning into my driveway. I really don't mind I'm just glad the officers that did pull me over for it were pleasant about it, and ended up asking questions about how the car qualified for the tag.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
WigWag44
[TST] Police Officer

Member #16486

My Ride:
Chevrolet Caprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
Thanks, I did ask a PA state trooper about this, he said it's because of the permanent registration (there's no expiration date, and it doesn't have to be renewed, until the car is sold, or passes through two generations of the same family). The database is set up so if a year isn't entered for the expiration date the software reports it as a dead tag. The funny thing is both times I was pulled over while turning into my driveway. I really don't mind I'm just glad the officers that did pull me over for it were pleasant about it, and ended up asking questions about how the car qualified for the tag.
That's quite different from how Delaware does it. The only way a tag would be considered a "dead tag" here is if the owner fails to renew their registration for well over a year.

That seems like a hassle but at least you have a good attitude about it. Definitely a flaw in PA's motor vehicle system if you ask me!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

I agree it is a flaw, but my registration was a one time and done deal, there is no renewal, and the car is exempt from emissions inspections as long as the car stays registered in PA. If I will the car to a family member the registration stays in effect (one time ownership transfer within the family without re-inspection or renewal of registration for the car), until it gets transferred to a third owner, or ownership transfers out of the family.

Last edited by david gettle; 04-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.