TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Just driving - add yours

Dumb idea or not? If you like, plot a drive you took and post it here. You can add comments about anything you did or saw along the way.

I like to take drives just because I love driving my car. So I go a few times a week. So when I came back a little while ago I decided to plot my route from today. The route today was not planned, I just headed out and drove until I had the inspiration to turn. I wanted to be back in Narberth before the fireworks started tonight at our playground since they have awesome fireworks. So here's the route, just over 100 miles this afternoon.

I stopped in Harleysville since I noticed a little car show going on. It was ending but a few cars still there, mostly nice domestic stuff, muscle cars, a cool little white 4 cyl Pinto with headers, quad carb, etc., a really cool '55 milk truck...I think this truck was at last year's 8th Annual CF Benefit Show in Dublin. A nice young couple in a '93 Nissan 300Z stopped to look at my car and asked a lot of questions about it. On Rt 29 near Collegeville I came up behind a loud new'ish Mustang that sounded really good; when I pulled up next to him as we were turning different ways, I hollered over that I liked how his car was spitting and popping nasty.

Nick 95 6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
03SVTCobra
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14408

My Ride:
2003 Mustang Cobra

taken this drive many times and highly recommend, especially in the fall for the changing leaves. point B is the scenic overlooks where the pics with the mountain in the backdrop were taken. then cross over to dirty jerzy and stop at point C, famous Hot Dog Johnny's for grub. this is a great back road drive, very scenic, lots of twisties and usually empty roads depending on time of day.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Newtown,+PA+18940&daddr= PA-32+N%2FRiver+Rd+to:PA-611+N%2FN+Delaware+Dr+to:N+Delaware+Dr+to:PA-611+N+to:US-46+E+to:40.235509,-74.937057&hl=en&geocode=FZvZZQId_42I-ylPq0ZcjVTBiTH2Cr5ICe-j2g%3BFZh_aAIdzkCH-w%3BFawpbgIdouKE-w%3BFcJ5cAIdkBSG-w%3BFRMjcQIdhrWF-w%3BFfoXbwIdtWWH-w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=2&mrsp=6&sz=12&via=1,2,3&sll=40. 269048,-74.897919&sspn=0.127837,0.331306&ie=UTF8&ll=40.580 585,-75.083313&spn=1.017968,3.696899&z=9

2003 DSG Cobra | RAI | 2.93 Upper (~13psi) | Kook's LT's & O/R X-Pipe | Borla Stingers (Polished) | Complete Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS Upgrade | Complete Maximum Motorsports Tubular Front End w/Coilovers/CC Plates/FLSFC's | McLeod RXT Twin Disk Clutch | 26 Spline Input Shaft | 18X9.5 & 18X11 CCW Classics Wrapped in Toyo Rubber | much much more | 450RWHP/460RWTQ | 11.93@114mph
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 03SVTCobra; 07-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
No route to add, but, I envy your car haha. DSG, Classics, suspension... Definite win. Great looking cobra man!
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
03SVTCobra
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14408

My Ride:
2003 Mustang Cobra

^ thank you sir!
2003 DSG Cobra | RAI | 2.93 Upper (~13psi) | Kook's LT's & O/R X-Pipe | Borla Stingers (Polished) | Complete Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS Upgrade | Complete Maximum Motorsports Tubular Front End w/Coilovers/CC Plates/FLSFC's | McLeod RXT Twin Disk Clutch | 26 Spline Input Shaft | 18X9.5 & 18X11 CCW Classics Wrapped in Toyo Rubber | much much more | 450RWHP/460RWTQ | 11.93@114mph
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
ketchup!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #656

My Ride:
Speedooo's Sister

the other day i just went for a cruise down 32. such an awesome drive

ketchup! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

I love 32 also. And some of the roads that lead up from Rt 32 away from the river are also great drives. Think I'll go there for my next drive later this week.

Earlier this evening I took a nice ride down Goshen Rd. which has been mentioned here previously as a nice drive. I think Nick Oakes called it the Goshen Grand Prix. It's a short but fun road, and they finally cleared the trees that fell all over the road during that last big storm so no more one lane chicanes. The one laner just north of Rt. 352 reminded me of the bus stop at Watkins Glen

Bus Stop at Watkins Glen:

Last edited by Nick 95 6sp; 09-18-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
This is a great idea, Nick! I haven't had alot of time for cruising lately, unfortunately, but thanks for the inspiration.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Since I mentioned Watkins Glen above, it reminded me of when I was there for a 3 day trackday event a few years ago. Every day after the sessions ended I would take a couple hour drive around the area to explore. The drive around Seneca Lake has beautiful views. I stopped in Lodi at a funky little corner bar that had a cowboy style hitching post out front; one day a week, I think it was Friday, they serve a fresh fried fish special which was quite good; I met a few of the locals and had a nice time there, one local old guy even sent me a post card invititation to come back and visit him and his wife. Then I headed north and around the lake. I drove down a lot of the small and deadend roads that go from the main perimeter road down to the lakefront...saw a lot of nice properties down along the lake. Around Willard I jumped into the lake and was swimming with some locals for about an hour...met a cute local girl I would consider visiting again if I wasn't married, she reminded me of a female Huckleberry Finn.

The next morning I drove back up to around Burdett to have breakfast at a little motel and as I'm sitting there eating I hear Hungarian language being spoken in the back room. So I throw out some of my own Hungarian and the owner lady comes over all surprised. We chat a while and exchange stories...this coincidence freaked me out: it turns out she and my grandmother were good friends, her son was born in the same displaced persons camp in Austria where I was born, in Braunau, her son and I used to play together when I was 2 years old back there; she said she probably has pictures of me and her son playing together!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Here is the one I did today:
Google Maps Route Here

There are two gas stations near the start at I-78 & 863 and a Sheets where the route crosses 222. There is also one more gas station in a small town after driving by Green Lane Resevoir. Watch for low flying aircraft when driving by Van Sant Airport.

One picture from the drive

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
The Goshen Grand Prix is something to keep sacred Nick! It's already cluttered with bikers and the "sunday drivers" lol
Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
01 Trans-Am WS6
Tri-State Addict

Member #9111

My Ride:
LSB E46 M3-BBY Evo VIII-FD RX7-TB Evo VIII-AS Evo VIII-G35 S/C-B7 A4-410whpWs6-3kGT

Send a message via AIM to 01 Trans-Am WS6
I always love driving around. I bought my Evo a month and a half ago and racked 3500 miles on it already. Love checking out all the roads around.
01 Trans-Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Chris, that looks like an awesome drive. I'm gonna try that one soon.

Nick, I have fantasies about getting a few guys with flags positioned along Goshen Rd. so they are located at strategic points, green flag allows the driver to stay on it more than usual and if something is coming the other way or another issue, they wave the yellow or red flag to alert the driver. I'm going to map out how many flag-persons would be good to have and where.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
When i get my golf back ill probably do this
Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Went for a quickie earlier this evening. My theme was back roads along the Schuykill River near home. I drove from Penn Valley down Hagys Ford Rd. to Hollow Rd., down to the river then along River Rd. passed the Flat Rock Dam boat launch, up Lafayette Rd. behind the Phila. Country Club to Conshohocken State Rd., down to West Conshohocken and across Fayette St. Bridge, down Hector St. and cut over to River Rd. on the other side of the river, down to Miquon, up Manor Rd. to Ridge Ave, down to Shawmont Ave. to Umbria St. to Manayunk, across the Green Lane Bridge, up Belmont Ave. to Rock Hill Rd., Conshohocken Rd. to Manayunk Rd. and home. I had a nice ride, then had two cold beers when I got home

Here's the route and I took a few pics along the way.

heading down Hollow Rd. toward the river on the Penn Valley side

go through the tunnel and out onto River Rd. and the Flat Rock Boat Launch area

River Rd. on the Roxborough side

through the tunnel to Miquon and Miquon Station

up Manor Rd.

This is by Ace Golf Club by Manor & Ridge with the club house and condos in the background

Two Warsteiner Pilsners upon arrival home
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
When i get my golf back ill probably do this
I hope you get it back soon. Post up a ride when you do.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 AM   #16
Oakes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4384

My Ride:
2010 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Send a message via AIM to Oakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post

Nick, I have fantasies about getting a few guys with flags positioned along Goshen Rd. so they are located at strategic points, green flag allows the driver to stay on it more than usual and if something is coming the other way or another issue, they wave the yellow or red flag to alert the driver. I'm going to map out how many flag-persons would be good to have and where.
That would be the icing on the cake for that road! I drive it whenever I'm in that spirited move, much like you I know it like the back of my hand. I go on random drives quite often, it's sometimes my only real escape from how busy things get. I was never one to just sit around and play video games or something to kill time.

I'm currently out of anything even remotely enjoyable to drive, stuck in a rental car while my car gets "repaired" and once its back, it'll be going for good after my hunt for something to replace it. I'm sure whatever it is, will be able to somewhat tag along with you in the event we meet up and explore the many awesome roads around here. I'll be sure of that!
Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
djb5118
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5884

My Ride:
SC300

Send a message via AIM to djb5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post
I'm with Oakes. This is a great idea, and I've actually run through it a couple times in my head. There are just so many blind hills and dips that I always get really cautious about given all of those road cyclists that tend to feel entitled to the entire lane.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Plus I would love to have a shot of my car airborne at that one quick crest on Goshen Rd. by the gorgeous horse farm.

I also feel bad spooking the horses. Loud exhaust and BOV's are not horse-friendly. Looking toward the field from the previous hill the other day, I noticed a regular size horse and a real little one in the field...the little one was too small even for a pony so I think they must have one of those miniature horses there.

A couple nights ago on Goshen Rd. I might very well have wiped out a flock of geese that were all over the road, if not for the fact that there was already a car stopped there. We both started slowly moving ahead but the stupid geese just kept waddling down the middle of the road....frickin' crazy Canadians.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
djb5118
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5884

My Ride:
SC300

Send a message via AIM to djb5118
HAHA yea. I'm more worried about the houses along the road, can't be making the neighbors angry

There's a house around there that has 4 mini-horses in their yard, but it isn't on Goshen. If I get time, I'll send you some other spots (but I'm sure you've hit them before)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
JeremyPA
Tri-State Addict

Member #16415

My Ride:
Cayanne Red MY04

I love riding down 23. Also, most the roads in NEPA are just awesome for driving, especially around fall time.
JeremyPA is offline   Reply With Quote