TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

reconstructed/salvage title

i need to find out some info about recon. titles. if i were to but a car with title issues would i have to do andything extra for it or do i just go about registering it like a normal car?? any info would be appreciated thanks
300zx_tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

I can't speak for PA, but in NY you have to have a special state inspection of the vehicle in which state troopers check your car for parts from stolen vehicles (ie, body panels with mismatched VIN's). You're also supposed to supply all receipts for said parts. And that's all before you can register the vehicle. I know this doesn't help you since we're talking about two different states, but I thought I'd mention it. *shrugs shoulders*

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

so is it like a royal pain in the ass or if you do it right its not really an issue? im looking at a speed3 w/ just some front end damage its not like ill be doing a ton of major work on it.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
so is it like a royal pain in the ass or if you do it right its not really an issue? im looking at a speed3 w/ just some front end damage its not like ill be doing a ton of major work on it.
Well again, regarding New York state, it's not a big deal IF you have your paperwork in order. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with PA laws.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
EklipzGSXkid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4554

If you buy a car with a salvage title in PA, You need to get the car road worthy, And fixed the CORRECT way, Then you need to take it to a certified inspection station that can perform the test to give it the ''O.K" to be road worthy. If it passes, You will then be able to get a ''reconstructed'' title.

If you buy a car with a reconstructed title already, Then you don't hafto treat it any differently from your normal titl'd car. The R-title means that someone already fixed it correctly, and had the inspection done, To get the r-tite.

You don't hafto go through any tests/ETC if you buy a car with a reconstructed title.

Salvage title as I said, You do.
EklipzGSXkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid View Post
If you buy a car with a salvage title in PA, You need to get the car road worthy, And fixed the CORRECT way, Then you need to take it to a certified inspection station that can perform the test to give it the ''O.K" to be road worthy. If it passes, You will then be able to get a ''reconstructed'' title.

If you buy a car with a reconstructed title already, Then you don't hafto treat it any differently from your normal titl'd car. The R-title means that someone already fixed it correctly, and had the inspection done, To get the r-tite.

You don't hafto go through any tests/ETC if you buy a car with a reconstructed title.

Salvage title as I said, You do.
I totally forgot about that aspect. Great points!

Generally speaking, if the title is branded as an "R" title (reconstructed/rebuilt) and it's already titled in your native state, you're good to go. You just need to register it. If it's titled in a different state then you'll have to jump through the hoops that GSXKid mentioned. If it's a Salvaged title then you still have to do some hoop jumping.

I purchased a car in Boston that had an "R" title. When I bought it back to NY I had to have the theft inspection that I mentioned previously. I was blown away that at no point was the vehicle inspected for road worthiness and safety.

Quote:
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

I had a thread about this 2 weeks ago. More about insurance/loans but it has some info you might like too. You get a salvage title car, fix it up and then take it for the necessary inspection. Then the state issues a reconstructed title that you can register and get plates. Not too bad a process in PA to do.

Last edited by jpalamar; 05-14-2010 at 07:42 AM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

jpalamar did you go through with the recon. title?? if so how did it work out for you?
thanks for all the info guys!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

There is a dealer about 3 hours away that specializes in buying salvage title high preforance cars and then gets reconstructed titles. I'll ask Julie what the name of the place is and you could call them. They were more then happy to explain everything to us. I didn't do the work but they did and explained the process to me. From what they said, it isn't a lengthy process or anything, you just gotta do the repairs and have it inspected to get the title changed from salvage to reconstructed. Then it is business as usual. Some helpful info we found was that insurance companies will cover the car, but at about 40-60% less then retail due to the type of title.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
There is a dealer about 3 hours away that specializes in buying salvage title high preforance cars and then gets reconstructed titles. I'll ask Julie what the name of the place is and you could call them. They were more then happy to explain everything to us. I didn't do the work but they did and explained the process to me. From what they said, it isn't a lengthy process or anything, you just gotta do the repairs and have it inspected to get the title changed from salvage to reconstructed. Then it is business as usual. Some helpful info we found was that insurance companies will cover the car, but at about 40-60% less then retail due to the type of title.
Many companies won't even cover the car for physical damage (ie, comp/collision) if it has an "R" or salvaged title...so keep that in my mind.

Quote:
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

All-State and Progressive do for sure cause we checked both. All-State seems the best for prices, atleast for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

thanks jpalamar couple more questions, you need special inspections all the time or just for your first on and you can take it where ever after that??
also does anyone know some one who will be willing to do the work for me? i can do some stuff but this looks like its a little bit of a bigger deal than what im used to.
and the place that you mentioned about the dealer specializing in recon title cars would i just buy the car tow it to them and they will fix it for me?
i am very curious because i found a really sweet deal on one thanks again for the info!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
EklipzGSXkid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4554

You don't need ''special inspections all the time''. I explained in the post above what happends for the most part. I've had 3 r-title'd cars already in the past, In PA.

If the car is a SALVAGE title, You need to have it fixed, And a company needs to do the inspection to show it is road worthy and ready to be transfered over to the RECONSTRUCTED title.

If it's already a RECONSTRUCTED title, You are good to go... Even more so if it's already a PA car.
EklipzGSXkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

The dealer we found actually buys them wrecked and fixes them, does the inspection, then sells them. You basically get the car after it has been inspected and the new title is issues. Its road ready when they sell it.

As for the inspection, it is a once and done deal to get the title, then of course your normal year safety/emissions as usual.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #15
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

thanks to both of you, you have been a big help and if you remember the name of that dealer tell me about them im very interested thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
boostedblkef
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4240

My Ride:
92 hatch built boosted itr \\\\\\\\\\\\\ and a few other junk boxes

If you still have any questions or need help feel free to give us a call, we are a pa enhanced inspection station (meaning were the ones who check it over for the reconstuction ) we also can help you out with any and all the repairs if needed
PSI PROformance
215-361-7100
boostedblkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
300zx_tt
Tri-State Addict

Member #13531

could you guys (as in psi promance) do the work to rebuild the car for me? i can pm you the list of what i would need if i were to go ahead and buy the car.