TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
wadud
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8088

My Ride:
06 wrx

how long can you go??

I know this is a crazy post but' how long can you let a car sit without starting it? Thanx jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
wadud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

i would honestly start it once a week, and drive it around the block 1-4 times a month, just to keep everything moving so the brakes don't seize up or anything else happens
Quote:
I've got nothing... no sarcastic reply, no witty retort...
that was just stupid
05OCsrt-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
wadud
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8088

My Ride:
06 wrx

thanx man!! thats about what i was thinking.jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

you could just disconnect the battery if your worried about that. Although, as mentioned above, you dont want moving parts to sit for too long.

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
wadud
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8088

My Ride:
06 wrx

yes' the battery has bin disconnected 4 a week now. going 2 start to take it out 1-2 times a month so i don't f-up the car thanx Erik.jim

Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
boske
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6700

My Ride:
s13 hatch

I wouldn't be too worried if you forget for a few weeks, I left my s10 sit for over a year without starting. Besides the battery it started right up like it was left for a day. Same thing with my 240 but I haven't actually had that on the road again yet so knock on wood Theres actually a ton of things you can do to make sure your car will be perfectly fine if its sitting for a long period. Do a google search for "car storage tips", heres an example: http://www.buyclassiccars.com/storagetips.asp you can get super anal with it, but the basics should be more than enough.
boske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
If I put a car in long term storage and I cared about it I'd try to start it and have it warm up fully once a month for the same reasons mentioned above. Actually driving it would be a good idea too so you can get all the drivetrain parts moving also.
Also think about getting a fuel stabilizer. Not sure if there's any other prep work to be done. Check tire pressure and make sure they're pretty high.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
wadud
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8088

My Ride:
06 wrx

thanx for all the tips guys. jim

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
streetAssasin96
Tri-State Addict

Member #2686

My Ride:
96 GSR, 95 Civ Coupe

full tank of gas

next time think, 39 Thieves are quicker than 40 winks
streetAssasin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
If I put a car in long term storage and I cared about it I'd try to start it and have it warm up fully once a month for the same reasons mentioned above. Actually driving it would be a good idea too so you can get all the drivetrain parts moving also.
Also think about getting a fuel stabilizer. Not sure if there's any other prep work to be done. Check tire pressure and make sure they're pretty high.
QFT. Don't just turn it on. Let it warm up to operating temperature. When I stored my Supra over the winter last year, I basically followed these steps (from supraforums):

1. Change the oil and filter, let the engine run for a while.
2. Fill the gas tank to the top. You want the smallest air gap in the tank because temperature changes will cause condensation in there. The consensus seems to be that fuel stabilizers are NOT necessary, but it wont hurt.
3. Wash and detail the car including treating the inside vinyl and leather. Drive the car to remove any standing water that gets trapped in the nooks and crannies and to remove moisture in the exhaust and engine.
4. Run the air conditioner for about 10-15 minutes on the last drive to ensure all the moving parts get the lubricant circulated so the seals don't dry out.
5. Clean out the interior really well, leaving nothing behind. Check all small compartments, ashtray, etc. Mice getting into the car can eat wires, vinyl, leather, carpet, etc.
6. Apply a silicone spray lubricant to door and trunk seals to minimize sticking.
7. Stuff a rag into the airbox intake to keep mice out.
8. Stuff a rag into the end of the tail pipes to keep mice out.
9. For those who are paranoid about mice, place several mothballs around the interior, placing them on small paper plates so they are not in contact with the car. Place several mouse traps around the car, bait them with peanut butter.
10. Spray lightly a bit of Febreeze (fabric deodorizer) on both floor mats.
11. Make sure the window wash fluid is the anti-freeze kind and not straight water.
12. Check the anti-freeze and adjust if needed.
13. Top off any other fluids under the hood.
14. Keep the CV joints in good shape by keeping the CV boots in good shape. When stored, the boots do not go through a regular routine of being flexed and this may cause them to develop a sort of "memory" such that when you drive it in spring, it may aggravate the start of cracking. You might want to consider going under there and liberally using some "rubber safe" silicone spray and get those (there are 4 on the rear half shafts) babies dripping wet with silicone.
15. Depending on how long you plan to store the car (more than a couple of months), you might also look into an "oil fog spray". They sell these in auto supply stores. It is an oil mist that comes in a spray can, specially marketed for this application. Just before you put the car to bed, after your last drive, you take off the intake hose to expose the throttle body. You then spray this mist into the throttle body till the car begins to run a bit rough. Stop the spray and immediately shut the car off, replace the intake hose. This will keep a coat of oil film on all the internal engine parts so that the first start of next season will be less metal-to-metal wear.
16. Open up the battery cells and fill up with distilled water, NOT tap water. Tap water contains impurities that can shorten the life of batteries.
17. Pump the tires to about 45PSI to avoid flat-spotting. Place a piece of scrap carpet or foam insulation under each tire while parked. Do NOT put the car on jacks, its very bad for the suspension.
18. Support the wiper blade arms with a rag to help maintain the rubber.
19. Change the tranny fluid if possible
20. Roll the car � to � turn 3 to 4 times per winter to ensure the rotors don't stick to the pads. Work the pedals.
21. Keep windows down half way to keep condensation and moisture from collecting in the car. Do NOT set the ventilation selector to "re-circulate". Leaving it selected to "vent/floor" will allow for air to expand and contract in and out of the car. Leaving it open also allows air to move freely through the car.
22. Keep the parking brake off to avoid having the pads rust to the rotors.
23. Sweep the garage floor and lay down a plastic tarp or park the car on linoleum. Concrete can get damp in the winter and if the car sits on linoleum or a tarp it will help to keep most of the moisture away from the car so the underbody does not collect condensation.
24. Disconnect the battery. Some recommend removal of the battery and taking it into the warmth of the heated house. Removing it will completely prevent electrolysis between the thousands of spots in your electrical system where it could occur. If you remove it, do not store it on concrete. Make sure you have the stereo code before unhooking the battery! Buy a "battery tender" which differs from a "trickle charger" in that it knows (has a chip in it) when the battery is fully charged and thus turns itself off.
25. Put a breathable car cover on.
26. DO NOT start the car unless you are going to drive it. When the car sits, all the oil drains into the oil pan. Starting the car is the hardest thing on the engine. Doing it once in the spring is better than several times throughout the winter.
One thing i hear over and over is that its good to start the car and drive it a short distance. That is incorrect, just wait till its time to open her back up and then allow things to flow, and moisture to leave.
27. You may want to call your insurance agent to suspend some of your insurance while the car sits in the garage. If you want to take it for a drive you can call your agent and get coverage restored for the day. Call your agent to make sure this is an option with your policy first!
28. In the spring, start it up and let it idle until it's almost warmed up before driving it anywhere and then drive it easy for a couple of miles so your transmission, differential & CV joints can get a good lube "workout".
29. Remove the CD from the CD player. If you have a CD changer, remove the CD magazine.
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #11
wadud
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #8088

My Ride:
06 wrx

thanx bro that's really helpful.jim