TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #441
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Update on the DSC Sport controller:

I attempted to reset the ride height on the controller as well as flash the latest firmware (for better velocity control) and the unit would not connect to my laptop. I tried a different driver as well as multiple COM and USB ports and nothing would work with the unit. DSC asked for me to send it back so that they could update it and send me a replacement unit in a couple of weeks when new ones arrive.

Great customer service. I've since mailed it off to them and am running the OEM hardware. The differences are all nuanced but there are a lot of them. The car is definitely not as good at handling now. It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #442
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I'm glad DSC is taking care of it for you! They need to sort out these quality issues cause it sounds like they make a good product performance wise.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #443
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I'm glad DSC is taking care of it for you! They need to sort out these quality issues cause it sounds like they make a good product performance wise.
Me too! I was surprised considering I had bought this used. I let them know I had bought it from first name/last name and they were ok with everything.

It really made the Camaro feel more responsive and much more sports car-like. I'm kind of shocked at how without it, the 1LE suspension'd Camaro feels sluggish haha.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #444
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Any updates from DSC?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #445
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Any updates from DSC?
None..

Going to email them this week. The part still shows backordered on their website.

Car is parked in the garage. Replacing the MAP sensor and i've been waiting almost two weeks for USPS to get it to me.

Local BMW dealership just had this show up to kick me in the nuts while I wait:
https://www.richmondbmwmidlothian.co...df512471ef.htm

Every option I wanted with the right color combo too. Life is hilarious.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #446
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Might have been easier to just go buy a MAP sensor locally, go figure

DSC support seems to be a total cluster****, too bad...

911 is pretty, but why such a boring color? haha
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #447
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Might have been easier to just go buy a MAP sensor locally, go figure

DSC support seems to be a total cluster****, too bad...

911 is pretty, but why such a boring color? haha
Right? DTC's showed that the sensor was out of range, along with not enough air being read. I had trouble with this one before when I first installed the ported intake. New sensor is only $53, but the wait has been extraordinary.

Next time, I'll try the local dealer for sure.

Yeah, it's not the greatest at all. I will say that the box makes a very noticeable and nice difference but factory mag ride is also more comfortable.

Haha, I like the boring gray color with black interior. Throw on some black Fuchs. Red seatbelts to make it pop.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #448
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like you just need a GT3

Any debris in the sensor?

I'm gaining interest in the DSC box for reasons...
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #449
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Sounds like you just need a GT3

Any debris in the sensor?

I'm gaining interest in the DSC box for reasons...
Haha, if I had $90-100k to do it, I would!

Doubtful, but I can check. The DTCs aren't popping a CEL surprisingly. The car did stall out, but was drivable. It just felt like a massive air leak and certain RPMs and gears the engine wouldn't accelerate. I'd be more worried but oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temps were all fine and no leaks under the car or in the engine bay.

It's possible that the air intake manifold has a crack in it somewhere, but nothing is visible. Was hoping for a quick triage. I have a torque wrench for inch lbs coming in the mail tomorrow to verify the bolts on the IM are done correctly but I'm not too worried about that... I've been driving just fine on this setup since last year with the only change being the CAI (and that's tightened down).

reasons are good to grab a DSC box. It made the Camaro super agile and got rid of the minimal squat and dive that the 1LE suspension had. With the DSC box, I've never had a better handling car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #450
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Does the DSC box help you put down power better or no?

I'm a bit jealous of the ediffs in the 1LE...
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #451
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Does the DSC box help you put down power better or no?

I'm a bit jealous of the ediffs in the 1LE...
It does, that's the major difference it provides on my car since it doesn't have much roll.

me too, wish GM would release a retro kit. The aftermarket is on the verge of figuring out the retrofit for the PDR setup.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #452
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

PDR would be so much more interesting if the camera wasn't a potato cam, lol.

So it has less suspension movement but still puts down power better on corner exit? wow, they must have it tuned really well
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #453
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
PDR would be so much more interesting if the camera wasn't a potato cam, lol.

So it has less suspension movement but still puts down power better on corner exit? wow, they must have it tuned really well
720P I think they're upgrading the camera for 2019, but that redesign is ugly as ****.

Yup. It's constantly changing the shock response so that it can do both.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #454
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah the '19 body refresh is atrocious. Not sure what GM was thinking...

Man, I would love to back-to-back one of these units. Pricey to do so. I need to get famous so DSC can advertise me testing it like they did with Randy Pobst haha
Old 06-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #455
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah the '19 body refresh is atrocious. Not sure what GM was thinking...

Man, I would love to back-to-back one of these units. Pricey to do so. I need to get famous so DSC can advertise me testing it like they did with Randy Pobst haha
Me either, and with Al Openheiser calling detractors "haters" on his facebook rather than listen....kind of soured on the whole brand.

If you'd like to do that with my car, we can set something up once i get the box back from DSC.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #456
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, if that's the attitude they're going to have I can't see the sales figures ever catching the Mustang.

I'd love to do the DSC box test at an autocross and I'm not sure I want to push your baby that hard, and street class rules for autocross may be allowing the DSC box (or other replacements like reprogramming OEM controller) next year.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #457
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah, if that's the attitude they're going to have I can't see the sales figures ever catching the Mustang.

I'd love to do the DSC box test at an autocross and I'm not sure I want to push your baby that hard, and street class rules for autocross may be allowing the DSC box (or other replacements like reprogramming OEM controller) next year.
Sales volume was never the target for Camaro. ATP was (with the larger profit margin attached to it) and they succeeded there. They also succeeded in retail sales volume. The trouble is that it looks horrible because Ford and Dodge push a lot of volume sales through rental and fleet sales whereas Chevy does not with the Camaro. New GM strategy overall.

You do wonder what Chevy's intended sales volume targets were for the 6th gen and how it is living up to the ROI on the development spend, etc. but without working there, no way to know those metrics.

You can beat the hell out of the car if you want. I'm not worried about anything mechanical breaking (MAP sensor arrived today).

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #458
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Well GM clearly doesn't care about ROI or they'd have shown the car to customers and not... whoever they showed it to.

I'd love to beat on it sometime
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #459
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Well GM clearly doesn't care about ROI or they'd have shown the car to customers and not... whoever they showed it to.

I'd love to beat on it sometime
Sounds good!

https://www.richmondbmwmidlothian.co...df512471ef.htm

This keeps haunting me

Put in the new MAP sensor last night, verified torque settings on the IM, cleared the DTCs and sent logs off to a buddy of mine to look at. STFT/LTFT's look to be slightly off but nothing drastic. Vacuum at idle is 32kpa, so if there is a leak it's not much.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #460
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I wouldn't mind beating on a 911 either... never driven one