TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Who Does Harnesses?

Ok, well my factory front seats weigh pretty damn close to 100lbs a pop (12 way power/heated/leather) and I don't like the seating positions they offer (too high, don't recline far at all, hard to see the gauges through the wheel). So, I've been wanting to replace them with some sport lightweight seats. My dilemma? The GMT-800 chassis includes the belt system completely contained into the seats so no seat= no belt and worse no belt mounting points So I'm wondering if anyone know's any shops the could weld something up for me so I can ask them about a price? I want it to look decent, I'm no stickler for looks but I don't want it to look like garbage either. Would prefer a retractable 3 point setup similar to factory but would settle for a 5 point if it was that much easier/cheaper.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks

Nobody On This Forum Cares About Real Performance

^If you disagree prove me wrong
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by RedBowTies88; 09-27-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

also, don't wanna spend a fortune on seats and i don't pay for names. if anyone knows some reasonably cheap seats that are comfortable and decently made I would love to more about that as well. also, I weight 230 an im 6ft so if they were a little wider it would be nice. drag truck so side bolsters aren't that important

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Contact Good Vibes or JMFab, both ahould be able to help.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

thanks, ill send them links to this thread and ask for their input. good vibes = GVA correct?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:

Yup. Good folks at both places, too.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
Please keep in mind that "cheap" and "seats" should never go in the same sentence.

It's a HUGE safety feature, not just somewhere to put your ass.

BUY MY STUFF!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ls View Post
Please keep in mind that "cheap" and "seats" should never go in the same sentence.

if you can explain to me how it would be more unsafe then what i have now please do so. keep in mind i drive a 7000lbs tank. the factory seats do nothing for saftey if anything they're more dangerous because they weigh a ton

Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:

They're made so that you don't get thrown into the floorpans of your car should you crash, and designed, along with the rest of the truck's cab, to let you move just enough to stay restrained but seated in the case of a roll where your roof collapsed. The speeds and forces acting on your body during even a "minor" impact are rediculous, and you shouldd definately do your share of research before spending money on a seat.

As with everything else, avoid knock-offs, too.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
They're made so that you don't get thrown into the floorpans of your car should you crash, and designed, along with the rest of the truck's cab, to let you move just enough to stay restrained but seated in the case of a roll where your roof collapsed. The speeds and forces acting on your body during even a "minor" impact are rediculous, and you shouldd definately do your share of research before spending money on a seat.

As with everything else, avoid knock-offs, too.
i agree to what you're saying, but whatever i do is a step above factory which is how I look at it. i know you guys are used to cars and well lots of bad things happen to them in a crash and not that it cant happen to me but its going to be MUCH more unlikely in a 3/4 ton truck.

most guys don't change a thing, just throw in a bar when they break 11.40's im taking it further because i like the idea of being lighter then the competition. this she be a solid 120+lbs weight drop

Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post
if you can explain to me how it would be more unsafe then what i have now please do so. keep in mind i drive a 7000lbs tank. the factory seats do nothing for saftey if anything they're more dangerous because they weigh a ton
listen to james_ls
i had a set of knockoff sparco seats
the recling mechanism snapped while driving in it and i fell backward while driving 35-45 mph. luckily i didn't lose control of the steering wheel.

as far as seatbelts you could get used seat belt clips and bolt them to the seat frames that bolt to the car.
when i had my seats in my old civic there was a metal tab you can bolt up the stock belt clip to and then use the stock belts.

Last edited by igo4bmx; 09-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

well, long as the reclining system can hold up up to 60' times in the 1.5's it should be good. i dont really put much of any weight on the back the seat during normal driving...just kinda the way i like to sit. not that I wouldn't be pissed if mine broke. ill make sure ill look over whatever i got closely to make sure the mechanism's are not weak and/or designed by a short half retarded man from india.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:

Quote:
well, long as the reclining system can hold up up to 60' times in the 1.5's it should be good. i dont really put much of any weight on the back the seat during normal driving...just kinda the way i like to sit. not that I wouldn't be pissed if mine broke. ill make sure ill look over whatever i got closely to make sure the mechanism's are not weak and/or designed by a short half retarded man from india.
You will if you have a properly installed harness during an impact, or if you're suddenly accelerating (your butt is against the fold of the seat), or if someone hits you from behind. And your last statement would automatically eliminate most cheap seats.

And likely, James wasn't pissed because they broke. He would have probably been terrified that that could have happened in the case of an impact, or during another situation.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
You will if you have a properly installed harness during an impact, or if you're suddenly accelerating (your butt is against the fold of the seat), or if someone hits you from behind. And your last statement would automatically eliminate most cheap seats.

And likely, James wasn't pissed because they broke. He would have probably been terrified that that could have happened in the case of an impact, or during another situation.
yea but the harness and seat will be separate from the seat unlike it is now. that i will BE SURE is safe before i drive in it. i hate getting hit in the face with an airbag as much as the next guy.

and again i see what you're saying in the seat back department in the case of someone rear ending me. but also you guys need to remember this is a big truck. its gonna take the shot and jump forward like most cares, unless i was hit by a mack truck. i was rear ended in my old truck at 30+ (impact speed not before the hit the brakes speed) by a ford tarus and a new bumper and bed and she was good as new. wasn't very violent in the truck at all

Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
yea but the harness and seat will be separate from the seat unlike it is now. that i will BE SURE is safe before i drive in it. i hate getting hit in the face with an airbag as much as the next guy.

and again i see what you're saying in the seat back department in the case of someone rear ending me. but also you guys need to remember this is a big truck. its gonna take the shot and jump forward like most cares, unless i was hit by a mack truck. i was rear ended in my old truck at 30+ (impact speed not before the hit the brakes speed) by a ford tarus and a new bumper and bed and she was good as new. wasn't very violent in the truck at all
i'm not sure how you would test it since i remember being excited and sitting in the seats in my garage while i waited for my rails - i had no issues and it felt solid to me.
then about a week into driving with the seats it broke- I eventually had to stuff boxes between the backseat and the back of the seat to keep it upright until i took it out to put the stock ones back in.

why bother when you can get a single corbeau for like 300 bones?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Brides ftw hahaha

*CK*
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx View Post
i'm not sure how you would test it since i remember being excited and sitting in the seats in my garage while i waited for my rails - i had no issues and it felt solid to me.
then about a week into driving with the seats it broke- I eventually had to stuff boxes between the backseat and the back of the seat to keep it upright until i took it out to put the stock ones back in.

why bother when you can get a single corbeau for like 300 bones?
I need to do both front ones. I can't stand being unsymetrical. Plus I hate having to pull it out to race all the time. If it was light I wouldn't worry about it

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
PrideNas
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16452

My Ride:
Nissan Skyline GTR R33

Your thread is very confusing.

I assume you are looking for Seatbelt Harness' after reading your post, and not an engine harness.....

Takata makes a good harness.

-Nas
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideNas View Post
Your thread is very confusing.

I assume you are looking for Seatbelt Harness' after reading your post, and not an engine harness.....

Takata makes a good harness.

-Nas
i thought it was fairly straightforward....

not so much the harness im looking for but more an install of harness system into a vehicle that has none at all.