TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
scorpio012
Noob-Jersey

Member #27584

My Ride:
2002 Honda Accord

HID Headlights in Pennsylvania

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site and want to say hello. I also have a question that I can't seem to find a definite answer to. The question I have concerns the legality of HID headlights in my state of Pennsylvania? I've even called a State Trooper Barracks and they said they didn't know!! They told me to go to PennDot but trying to navigate their website is a lesson in futility. There is a company by the name of XenonPro.com that sells conversion kits for most of the model cars on the road today. Their conversion kits for low beams are 6,000 lumens and come in a few colors, but I'm interested in bright white. I've read on one of the online information sites that had said they were illegal is because of the headlight lenses not being designed for the HID bulbs and which have a tendency to scatter the light and blinding other drivers. Can anyone here give me a definite answer, either yes or no if they are legal in Pennsylvania? Thanks for your help!!
scorpio012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
There is no HID “law” in PA DOT statutes for headlights but that being said there are limits and regulation for out putt of OEM headlights. If an officer feels your lights are too bright or low beams are at an angle that it too high for on coming traffic. They may pull you over and ticket you . . . more then likely it will be a “fix it ticket” like the kind you get for window tint.

HIDs should not be put into halogen headlights because the arc location is not in the same place as the halogen filament and this throws off the beam pattern and can’t be fix by way of the headlight adjusters. . . . If you have ever been blinded by a older car with HIDs you know what I mean. Only projector headlight can take any random HID bulb and work because they have a cutoff diverter inside that makes them low beam and they refocus the beam after the rear reflector lenses sends the light forward.

I’d get a good set of LED bulbs that are the correct ones befor HIDs for older non projector headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

02 WRX Wagon Beater-10/01/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote