TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
david gettle
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

What I'm now doing for a living

Since it has been several weeks since I asked the moderators if it was OK to post this, and have gotten no reply...

Here goes....

After working at the same job for 17 years, I decided it was time for a change, So I went to work for a hobby shop, three years later, my boss, the shop owner retired. At which point I bought his shelving and remaining inventory and am in the process of opening my own shop.

I have purposely posted this in the most generic terms possible as to not be accused of doing "non-authorized vender advertisement" Once the "brick & mortar" store opens to the public I do plan to advertise here. As I will then (I hope) have an income.

At the moment I want the opinion of members here. (The shop is not open yet)

Please post your responses to the following questions.

1. Do you think a generalized hobby shop is something the members here would support?
2. Other than modifying real cars, what hobbies do you enjoy ?
3. Would you like to build a scale model of your car (if it is available)?

Last edited by david gettle; 04-15-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added questions, corrected typing errors
david gettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by david gettle View Post
Since it has been several weeks since I asked the moderators if it was OK to post this, and have gotten no reply...
Did you PM TROLL? Did you click/read the Advertise With Us link?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

The advertise with us link, (yes, I did read the rules there) I hope that this will be an OK method of letting people know that I am in the process of opening a business that may be of interest to the community. The business is not yet open, and because of that I don't currently have any income (I've been working on getting the business open full time since December 31 2013). I'm not saying "Hey I'm open for business, buy stuff from me" I'm saying "Take a look at what I'm planning and let me know if this is something the community would like to support" and if the community says "yes" then I'll know paying for advertising would be to the mutual benefit of the community and my business. Otherwise I'll just continue being a member of the community and If the funds are available, I'll make donations to keep the site going, I like the fact that all of the events I've attended with TST have been for charity organizations that help kids. Regardless of the response I get from TST I am planning to post a link to the "Upcoming Events" section of this site on my company web site once the physical store is open.

First post edited....

Last edited by david gettle; 04-15-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
AWD GS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8729

My Ride:
VIP Luxury, Dynaride & R6

Quote:
1. Do you think a generalized hobby shop is something the members here would support?
do you offer sex toys? if so, then yes

Quote:
sex toys

Quote:
no i would like to build my own sex toys
Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD GS View Post
i would like to build my own sex toys
For that I suggest you go get a 3D copier and scan yourself ! (J/K)

Seriously though, What I meant by hobby is R/C cars, Slot Car Racing sets, R/C Planes, R/C Boats, model kits (plastic, Metal and Wood), paint by numbers, die-cast cars, model Railroading equipment, air brushes & paint, wood carving tools. That kind of stuff

Last edited by david gettle; 04-15-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

https://www.facebook.com/ToxicDriftNJ

chat up those people; they do rc drift shows
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
~Brian~
Tri-State Addict

Member #1019

My Ride:
2014 Honda Accord V6, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale, 2018 Yamaha R1

Quote:

Here goes....

After working at the same job for 17 years, I decided it was time for a change, So I went to work for a hobby shop, three years later, my boss, the shop owner retired. At which point I bought his shelving and remaining inventory and am in the process of opening my own shop.

I have purposely posted this in the most generic terms possible as to not be accused of doing "non-authorized vender advertisement" Once the "brick & mortar" store opens to the public I do plan to advertise here. As I will then (I hope) have an income.

At the moment I want the opinion of members here. (The shop is not open yet)

Please post your responses to the following questions.

No offense man, but this site doesn't have anywhere near the traffic it used to. I hope your business is successful, which is why I say it might be wise to consider investing your advertising funds elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brian~ View Post
No offense man, but this site doesn't have anywhere near the traffic it used to. I hope your business is successful, which is why I say it might be wise to consider investing your advertising funds elsewhere.
No offense taken.

That is the the type of feedback I'm looking for, an honest opinion. Because that is the type of feedback that helps people make decisions.

Thanks Brian.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
https://www.facebook.com/ToxicDriftNJ

chat up those people; they do rc drift shows
Traxxas does a R/C drift demo every year at Motorama in Harrisburg PA. They are one of the Sponsors of Motorama.

I have pending orders with two wholesalers that carry Traxxas products.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
probevette
Tri-State Addict

Member #5313

My Ride:
Slow Audi's

every hobby shop around here I have seen has gone out of business within a few years. Internet kills this kind of thing for fixed location stores
probevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
david gettle

Member #22109

My Ride:
2002 Ford ZX2

Location is everything, the physical store I have rented is 300 feet from an excursion railroad in the center of a small town near a major highway, 1/2 way between two major cities, Baltimore MD and York Pa. that has reasonable rent. Even with the store not open yet I've been doing model railroad equipment repairs since January, and have been getting about 100 new hits on my company web site per month mostly from google searches for hobby shops. The other thing that tends to run hobby shops out of business is hobby clubs demanding discounts and the shop owners not realizing that most hobby clubs will not be loyal to a shop, a shop needs to be profitable to stay in business, I'm not saying that a shop owner needs to rip people off, but they need to find a location that has reasonable rent (or buy a building) to stay in business, and charge reasonable prices that allow the business to stay profitable. I've got 17 years of retail experience, and 8 of that in retail management of physical stores. 3 of those years working in a hobby shop that was in business for 41 years under one owner, I was originally trying to buy his business, but the rent at his location was too high, and forced the business to close. I did buy his remaining inventory and shelving, when he closed his shop, and he is willing to act as an advisor to me in running my shop.