TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2302

My Ride:
98 Trans Am WS7 | 01 Trans AM WS6 | 03 VW Golf TDI | 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (ZJ)

Send a message via AIM to PAFirefighter11
Putting the brakes on illegal street racing - Channel 6 News Report

Here's the story:

Quote:
By Dann Cuellar

PHILADELPHIA - May 26, 2010 (WPVI) -- Car racing has been around for almost as long as there have been cars and it's not a bad thing.

It's an exciting sport, but the streets are no place for racing and police have tried all sorts of ways to stop it, but nothing has been as effective as what they're doing now in partnership with state police.

Thanks to the advent of YouTube, videos of illegal street racing in Philadelphia can be found all over the internet and they can be pretty elaborate.

Complete with flaggers and time keepers, some street races seen on YouTube were staged recently on the streets of Southwest Philadelphia, organized on social web sites and impressively memorialized for all to see by videographers like one man who Action News met with, who did not want to be identified.

"The adrenaline rush people get is just going fast. Going fast, you know, fast & furious," the videographer said.

Indeed, no movie has done more to boost the popularity of street racing than the 2001 movie, 'The Fast & the Furious.'

"Everybody wants to be a part of it, everybody wants to drive a fast car," the videographer said.

But police say illegal street racing can and has taken its toll on innocent people as well as street racers and spectators.

"That's a problem for us...over the years, it's a constant problem," Captain Kevin Hodges of the Philadelphia Police said.

According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, an average of 135 people die each year in the U.S. in street racing accidents. But police believe that number to be on the low side.

Police have tried placing so-called rumble strips on the roadways to discourage street racing, but, according to the videographer, "It doesn't do anything, it actually gives a better spot to warm up your tires."

But recently, police have been teaming up with state police employing a new and, apparently, effective tactic. With aerial surveillance provided by a police helicopter in the sky, police swoop down on street racers and their spectators blocking off all exits and corralling them with no escape.

"We can stop between 100 to 150 cars when we do one of these drag racing sweeps. and when we stop these vehicles, we're looking for everything, your driver license, properly insured, properly registered," Hodges said.

Racers can get tickets ranging from $100 to $300, and spectators have also been ticketed at $90 a pop. The price tag apparently is having an impact.

"Back a couple years ago, we used to have a good 150 cars-to 200 cars show up, [and now,] we'll probably have around 50 to 60 cars," the videographer said.

Police recognize that many youth, particularly males, seem to have an inherent need for speed and they encourage them to go to legal drag strips like the Atco Speedway where it's safe and supervised.

As we head into the summer, police are also gearing up to round up illegal street racers and their spectators.

(Copyright ©2010 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Nikon D2x | Canon AE-1 | SB600 | Nikkor Lenses: 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Dakine Sequence | Bogen/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod | 3231 Monopod | 486RC2 head | AlienBees B1600 | etc.
FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane
wow some of you jeep guys party hard
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
2001teg
Tri-State Addict

Member #7004

My Ride:
2001 Integra GSR/Type-R

They can try all they want, but sadly street racing is like a terrorist cell. If one place gets shut down they will find another. It will keep evolving around the city.
2001teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
I just hope they don't start harrasing groups hanging out more-so than they do now and saying they are "organized racers".
Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
guy really referenced F&F.
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
09Speed3Z
Tri-State Addict

Member #15490

My Ride:
2009 MazdaSpeed3

01 Teg is right, it's like a virus and it's not going away.

But noooooooooooo one on TST street races so we don't have to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
09Speed3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
wait the races still exist?

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

$300 is a lot but isn't a lot.

If they want to end street racing then take the racer's car and decimate it.
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
g0dzuki
Tri-State Addict

Member #15544

My Ride:
Scion tC

I understand a few pulls here and there but organized races is whack I believe. What is sad is that a lot of people use big meets that started just as a chill meet but now is a big meet to find new people to race which attracts negative attention from the police.

g0dzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
max2k1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #393

My Ride:
Wheelchair

Send a message via AIM to max2k1
All of that police footage was from years ago lol. The video of the cops blocking everyone in was taped bye 2 guys that escaped the blockade after a few hours with a group of cars without getting caught. How come they didnt show that? haha... They do one of these news reports about street racing right before the summer every year. They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here. And of course every idiot they interview talks about The Fast and The Furious. They never show the guys with fast cars racing on these reports. Oh yeah thats because the guys with fast cars are smart enough to go to places where they dont cause a big scene so they dont get attention from the cops. These reporters are so dumb and clueless as to what really goes on in the streets of Philadelphia . If those reporters actually saw some of the actual fast cars race, they would probably sh1t their pants haha... Also that car with the ghetto street glow kit behind the guy at the end of the video was Awesome. Lets you know about the quality of cars that go to Holstein to race

The Story Behind My Avatar

Quote:
They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here.
max2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
max2k1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #393

My Ride:
Wheelchair

Well since I saw the other thread about this first I posted over there. So Im just pasting what I wrote in the other thread here

All of that police footage was from years ago lol. The video of the cops blocking everyone in was taped bye 2 guys that escaped the blockade after a few hours with a group of cars without getting caught. How come they didnt show that? haha... They do one of these news reports about street racing right before the summer every year. They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here. And of course every idiot they interview talks about The Fast and The Furious. They never show the guys with fast cars racing on these reports. Oh yeah thats because the guys with fast cars are smart enough to go to places where they dont cause a big scene so they dont get attention from the cops. These reporters are so dumb and clueless as to what really goes on in the streets of Philadelphia . If those reporters actually saw some of the actual fast cars race, they would probably sh1t their pants haha... Also that car with the ghetto street glow kit behind the guy at the end of the video was Awesome. Lets you know about the quality of cars that go to Holstein to race

Quote:
They show all the dumb kids with ghetto rigged Honda's. Im not hatin Honda guys, just stating facts here.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
gotvtec?
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16013

My Ride:
2012 AUDI S4 3.0T 6SPD

As long as cars are around street racing will never stop. Philly has been one of the biggest street racing scenes on the east for years and it still is.
Sounds like your on track to blow motor #2 already.
gotvtec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
max2k1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #393

My Ride:
Wheelchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotvtec? View Post
As long as cars are around street racing will never stop. Philly has been one of the biggest street racing scenes on the east for years and it still is.
That probably has to do with Philly being the 2nd largest city in the east

Quote:
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

3X as many murders as street racing deaths. Maybe they should set some priorities a little better. The city is broke yet they can afford to fly arround in a helocopter to write a few tickets here and there. Hell, 1/2 the people wil lget out of it when they pled not guity because the cops won't show. Not very effecient if you ask me.

I could care less about people who race on the street or on the track.

Last edited by jpalamar; 05-27-2010 at 08:06 AM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
Da InFaMMuS 1
Tri-State Addict

Member #6567

My Ride:
99 Acura 2.3 CL

Send a message via AIM to Da InFaMMuS 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k1 View Post
Absolute truth. Philadelphia is really an ass backwards city, i'm glad i dont live there anymore.
UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
Acurazine.com
Da InFaMMuS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
supraghost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7051

My Ride:
2002 5mt IS300, 1995 s14

Send a message via AIM to supraghost
can someone explain how a rumblestrip is used to warm up your tires

'92 festiva: BP 1.8l DOHC, garret gt2554r, mostly stock otherwise

supraghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
TurboTSI95
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16018

My Ride:
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Send a message via AIM to TurboTSI95
Lol, to be honest, I have no idea. But yeah, as mentioned, as long as cars are around, street racing will not stop. The fine, is expensive, but to be honest, if I were to street race (which I don't, and neither of us TST peeps do either ;)), the fine would not stop me from doing it again, it would just make me think of different spots that don't attract much attention and do it again. So I think this is another fail attempt and spending tax payers money.
TurboTSI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Cheaper to pay the fine the go to the track anyway since you have good odds of not being caught very often. LOL

Just sounds like a PR stunt... plug since Nutter wants to cut the police force for budget reasons I can't see how they will have the manpower to take on any additional projects.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
92sileighty
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #6020

My Ride:
05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2k1 View Post
words of truth good sir

i'm glad cops try to shut down that stupid crap down in "philly," but this helicopter swooping "in front" of cars nonsense is equally as retarded as the people racing in the streets. lucky for us, only the people that deserve to get caught go to the holstein races. none of us care about them anyway. lets just hope they don't start hassling our meet spots in this "great effort."
92sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
92sileighty
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #6020

My Ride:
05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraghost View Post
can someone explain how a rumblestrip is used to warm up your tires
by "warm up your tires" he meant "snap your axles"
92sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
thefro526
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7892

My Ride:
1996 240sx & 1989 240sx Coupe

Send a message via AIM to thefro526
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
3X as many murders as street racing deaths. Maybe they should set some priorities a little better.
Quoted for the truth.

The problem is that it's a lot easier to stop a bunch of kids who probably won't be armed or get violent, than it is to stop someone and risk your life.

Though, in recent years it seems that the people who go to the races have gotten a bit more... "Forceful" shall we say. But, usually those people only come out when money's involved.

Quote:
Also do some things with it, with fro boy's whip.
Quote:
At this rate, though, it'll be 2015 before either of you gets yo whips running right.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote