TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Mazda Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
2004 Mazda 3 Dead

So this past weekend I ran some errands on saturday no issues, I stop at home un pack my groceries and such and then go back to start the car again and it's dead.

Lights, radio, etc all work. I suspected that maybe the battery was low and didn't have enough power to crank. due to all the cold weather. So I charge the battery and when do I try to start it again. Same thing electrical seems fine but it does nothing. So I then start troubleshooting the ligths on the dash, the immobilizer light would blink like it should when the key is turned to "accessory", but goes solid when turned to "on" In the manual it says when the immobilizer light is solid the car won't start.

I had my car towed to mazda yesterday, they couldn't find the problem and are still diagnosing it. Anyone have any clue what is going on? They said they can't get into the system, the odometer is blanked out.

I replaced the head unit about 3-4 months ago. And I did try swapping in the stock head unit prior to taking it to mazda, I also left it in my car for them to "install" if the aftermarket head unit was suspected to be the problem. Just not sure what could have happened to make my car completely dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Well Mazda just updated me, they said that my pioneer headunit fried the electrical system? (not sure how since it was installed months ago and it still works fine) but none the less The car will need a new instrument cluster, new PCM, New drivers side junction box, and some other crap totaling around $4k to fix. Which I'm not going to do. So I ask you guys, what do I do with my dead car? Can I trade it in on anything? Can i sell it to a junk yard? I need to salvage as much money from this as I can. All advice appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

I think they don't know what happened. A head unit suddenly frying an entire electrical system after months seems just odd. What was the radio tapped into that it fried everything? I'd ask for a more thorough explanation.

Go to a junkyard and find the parts you need and fix it, or get a second opinion first at least. It just doesn't add up to me.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:
1996 7.3 f250, 2001 Focus wagon

Check all fuses and double check them. Then check relays. That's where I'd start.

Maybe the key is shot? Try a different one?
yellow2000S/R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
I think they don't know what happened. A head unit suddenly frying an entire electrical system after months seems just odd. What was the radio tapped into that it fried everything? I'd ask for a more thorough explanation.

Go to a junkyard and find the parts you need and fix it, or get a second opinion first at least. It just doesn't add up to me.
I agree, i can't see how the audio system uses any wiring or system used for ignition. The car worked fine for 4 months with the new head unit, and worked fine say 45 minutes prior. Then all of a sudden dead? If it wouldn't cost me towing and additional diagnostic fees I would certainly go for a second opinion, but continuing to dump money into a this car... I'm just not sure of.

PCM is about $200
Instrument cluster is about $150
Not sure about the rest, going to ask for a line item quote so i can look it over. I want rid of this car none the less, have had nothing but problems since purchase. But a running car for say $500 more will get me close to double on trade in. But I need to see the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2000S/R View Post
Check all fuses and double check them. Then check relays. That's where I'd start.

Maybe the key is shot? Try a different one?
Tried the spare key as well as a few "tricks" to try and reset the system, all to no avail. Checked all fuses before sending it to the dealer, even re-installed the stock head unit temporarily just to be sure.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Is it a chipped key?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

I imagine it is. gonna see if i can trade it in on a corolla, if they won't give me anything for a trade in then i might donate it or something.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

if its not, try and basically hot wire the car to see if it fires.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

I am sure you could sell it privately and get something for it. Lol I know people who would probably scoop it up if it were cheap enough.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

yea the plan right now is to see how much they will give for a trade in, in it's current condition. That seems to be the easiest solution, If it's way low, then I will bring it home and either try to sell privately or look into getting the parts and trying to fix it myself to then sell or donate it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:

Find out. I may even be interested if it's cheap enough. I'll put my megasquirt on it and bypass it all and use as a beater haha.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

So I had the Mazda dealership (Hamilton, NJ) send me over their quote for the service needed, It's not a line item quote, but they list needing a new PCM($75-$250 ebay), Instrument cluster ($35-$50 ebay), and a driver side junction box ($100-$250 ebay If i can find the right one, but must be installed b the dealer). They have it quoted at $3779 (not sure if that includes labor or not). So thats about what $650 (including shipping) for used parts on ebay. Instrument cluster I would imagine I can install, I would think i could do the PCM/ECU unless it needs to be flashed or programmed, but I would need them to do the junction box aka fuse box.

I think it's amazing, say I bought a brand new 2013 mazda 3, it would cost $22,000 - $24,000. But to replace 3 parts on a an older model will cost around $4k. Not sure how that type of mark up is allowed. None the less I won't be keeping this car even if i fix it.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
yellow2000S/R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2462

My Ride:

If it's anything like a VW, the cluster/ecu/central control is all coded together, change one out and you're screwed unless you code them to match. It could be just 1 of those 3 items messed up, even something simple as a bad ground.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

So even if i purchased the parts mazda would have to install and re-progam/sync them all to match?

I miss the days of driving a car, and not a poorly made computer.