TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
Nors
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2210

My Ride:
2011 VW GTI

Send a message via AIM to Nors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
Got a list of those specs? Ive always wanted a rally car, ive been racing my whole life, so this could be it. Im currently building a show car (my golf), but im most likely gunna sell it when im done for way more then I paid, and itll all be cash in my pocket. So this could be something. I kind of want something AWD, but yet I want to support VW, hmm lol. Mark II GTI.:R? lol
http://rally-america.com/rules.php
2002 Volkswagen GTi - Sold |1995 Honda Accord - Sold | 1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Project - Sold | 1996 Acura Integra RS - Sold
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Xavier
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7219

My Ride:
has that V-Twin rumble

I've never done any races but it looks like it would be hella fun to do. I actually got to take a short ride in a legit Rally WRX/STi. Apparently my Mom's neighbor maintains a couple of rally cars and this one was at his place for the week. Took me up and down the long straight road right in front of their house with the anti-lag on. It was a blast.

$50 if some one will break nicks fingers. i dont know how many times i can read just how cool he is.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Robevo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdue View Post
Got a list of those specs? Ive always wanted a rally car, ive been racing my whole life, so this could be it. Im currently building a show car (my golf), but im most likely gunna sell it when im done for way more then I paid, and itll all be cash in my pocket. So this could be something. I kind of want something AWD, but yet I want to support VW, hmm lol. Mark II GTI.:R? lol
im highly recommend to we meet some where and i took you RKT team. /the rally service guys/ They can give you a best ideas about how you build your car. No BS guys. Also i will dig up the rules for you , but RKT team can help you there even more.
Like parts you should use vs others etc. They are in rally since 1979...

So the good advice never hurts . LOL

So i'll back to you soon. Dont think you have brake the bank for the rally. Specially with the golf. You will be hooked forever. That is an urban legend you need to millionaire to be a rally guy.
Also the community is simply awesome.

Rob
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
Robevo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16669

[QUOTE=Xavier;1751614]I've never done any races but it looks like it would be hella fun to do. I actually got to take a short ride in a legit Rally WRX/STi. Apparently my Mom's neighbor maintains a couple of rally cars and this one was at his place for the week. Took me up and down the long straight road right in front of their house with the anti-lag on. It was a blast.

sometimes we do practice days. I might will offer a limited number of guest , and i will offer a ride on the course for free.
Dont make plans yet , but its not impossible it will happen. Last time i tokk like 5 guys - girls around. The liked it a lot.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
Xavier
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7219

My Ride:
has that V-Twin rumble

That would be awesome!
$50 if some one will break nicks fingers. i dont know how many times i can read just how cool he is.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
olmytsi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #159

My Ride:
99 Lexus SC300

Send a message via AIM to olmytsi
I watch WRC...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robevo View Post
im highly recommend to we meet some where and i took you RKT team. /the rally service guys/ They can give you a best ideas about how you build your car. No BS guys. Also i will dig up the rules for you , but RKT team can help you there even more.
Like parts you should use vs others etc. They are in rally since 1979...

So the good advice never hurts . LOL

So i'll back to you soon. Dont think you have brake the bank for the rally. Specially with the golf. You will be hooked forever. That is an urban legend you need to millionaire to be a rally guy.
Also the community is simply awesome.

Rob
Def LMK. Maybe ill come to a local event your at sometime.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
92dxman
Tri-State Addict

Member #470

My Ride:
10 Mazda 5.

I can ask around about the costs. I know a couple people who have competed in rallies before.
10 Mazda 5 (everything hauler)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #29
niceday
Tri-State Training Wheels
Banned

Member #15029

yes,i love it
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #30
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
Rally > Life

Nothing... and I mean NOTHING beats the sounds of exhaust popping through the tree's as a driver downshifts. Talk about the best eargasms.

There is a person who rallies on here, MAP Rally Team.

Here some shots I took at this years STPR:

As far as cost, expect to spend $4 - $5k for a log booked car. The expect to spend around $2k - $2.5k at each event (entry fee/fuel/lodging/food/etc). Expect to spend $800-$1.5k for safety gear for driver/co-driver. Maybe Mark will chime in since he's actually rallied

Last edited by R22B; 06-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #31
Robevo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16669

2-3 K every event to be safe . + tires. Depends on many things, in that case LOL

I would say for start at least get a $10K car, you dont need to much trouble for start. Plus add some minor changes etc. That is always happening...
So i would say to be safe, for a FWD car which is key ready with log book etc. You will end up around $15K. And that would be a close proper start for rally racing.
Then you need personal stuff . should be around $2300 each person in the car. You need Hans device which alone cost around $700.
Well if you pick a seasoned co-driver , he should have everything. And would be a great benefit for you in racing too. He will know everything about whats happening, which will give you confidence , there for better results.

Then you need some extra parts, crew, etc. So it is more complicated then most car races . But well worth it. Once you run it, you will never look another car race.

ROb
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #32
DavesRex
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #16311

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX

Search around on specialstage.com they commonly have fully prepped and logged rally cars along with spares for less than 10k, sometimes they even throw in the trailer which really simplifies things.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #33
012.5RS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1071

My Ride:
2001 Stage 4 2.0RS---RIP, 2002 WRX Wagon, 1995 Impreza L

i actually worked stpr this year. it was AWESOME!! I'm starting building my 95L into a rally x car. then maybe a few years down the road I'll be ready to run it at stpr.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #34
joemomma
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6319

My Ride:
2002 WRX

Send a message via AIM to joemomma
i effing love rallying, i would LOVE to do it. Due to money issues and as well as not being able to find any near me i have to stick to Autocross

"To some people, a car is a car. But to people like us, its so much more than just a car. Its a getaway. Its our hiding spot. Its our comfort. Its an extension of ourselves." l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #35
92dxman
Tri-State Addict

Member #470

My Ride:
10 Mazda 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
i effing love rallying, i would LOVE to do it. Due to money issues and as well as not being able to find any near me i have to stick to Autocross

A few years ago when I was active in autocross, I talked to some of the people in NJSCCA about rallycross in New Jersey and the big hurdle is all the rules involved with it..
10 Mazda 5 (everything hauler)
Old 07-05-2010, 04:55 AM   #36
88TSI_Rob
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #547

They are having rally cross events at NJMP this year. First one is at the end of August.

http://rally-america.com/rallycross.php