TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #41
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Yeah, lets just do away with all the technology that progresses these automobiles that we love so much. Synchronized trannys, who needs 'em? Fuel injection, get it outta here. Forced induction technology, no thanks. Safety technology, i'll take the risk without it. Ignition systems... I'll take a nice hand crank engine from the early 20th century.
U know what? Ur right. **** everything. Lets all get back on horses and tow carriages around. we can put sails back on all our ships too. hella retro, I like it.
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #42
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Yeah, lets just do away with all the technology that progresses these automobiles that we love so much. Synchronized trannys, who needs 'em? Fuel injection, get it outta here. Forced induction technology, no thanks. Safety technology, i'll take the risk without it. Ignition systems... I'll take a nice hand crank engine from the early 20th century.
There is a difference between technology and cars driving for you.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #43
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
U know what? Ur right. **** everything. Lets all get back on horses and tow carriages around. we can put sails back on all our ships too. hella retro, I like it.
all the technology in the world cant make you a good driver.. screw it lol
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #44
15psi88
Tri-State Addict

Member #5625

My Ride:
Is always a project.

Fuel injection makes the car drive on its own alright.
I want to just leave it be, but you make it so easy. You dug your hole so deep you're just talking circles now. You honestly think a rev limiter is having the car drive for you? Let me guess, you were talking about your comment made earlier about the automatics consistency. A point no body challenged. So are you are reiterating a point not up for discussion?
15psi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #45
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
I am not a :"genious", but i am a genius. (dictionary.com is ur friend) LMAO

and the Cassidy post made my day lol
So you can use dictionary.com to be a grammar nazi but you can't spell the word "you" (DICTIONARY.COM IZ UR FRIEND LOLOLOL) nor could you use google to find the answer to your simple question?
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

hahahahaha
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
Proven
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1547

My Ride:
99 RS-WRX

Send a message via AIM to Proven
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
There is a difference between technology and cars driving for you.
I actually agree with you to a certain point. I had this debate about the new GTR with someone and that fact that its an "automatic" . They were explaining to me that its trans is far superior then what anyone can do with a manual by calculating speed and cornering = gear selection (downshift/upshift etc.) I of course said whats next? a car that steers for you!

In the case of 2-step I really don't see it as taking over/driving for you like mentioned above. Its more of a way to build power for the launch and shifts. All of the other shifting/clutching is manually done by the driver.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #48
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
I actually agree with you to a certain point. I had this debate about the new GTR with someone and that fact that its an "automatic" . They were explaining to me that its trans is far superior then what anyone can do with a manual by calculating speed and cornering = gear selection (downshift/upshift etc.) I of course said whats next? a car that steers for you!

In the case of 2-step I really don't see it as taking over/driving for you like mentioned above. Its more of a way to build power for the launch and shifts. All of the other shifting/clutching is manually done by the driver.
Maybe my wording wasn't too good but what you said kinda sums up my point. Even though launch control is only part of it and the rest is shifted by the driver, it is still 'fake' driving. You launch is the most important part at the track anyway.

No doubt you can probally pull faster and more consistant times, but where is the sport when a computer does part of the work for you.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #49
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
So line-lock is pretty retarded as well. WOT boxes are probably pretty stupid, too?

I see you have/had a motorcycle. How about pneumatic shifters?
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #50
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean3 View Post
So you can use dictionary.com to be a grammar nazi but you can't spell the word "you" (DICTIONARY.COM IZ UR FRIEND LOLOLOL) nor could you use google to find the answer to your simple question?
yes, im here to make people question all that is right with the world. Why do things the easy way? thats no fun lol
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #51
inteva6184
Tri-State Addict

Member #14151

My Ride:
I am a ricer

so wait a second a two step launches the car for me? I had no idea. So if I activate a 2 step on my s2000 with my aem ems I am going to get 1.5 60 foots every launch? Where is my ems manual I dont remember it telling me this. Having 2 step makes it to damn easy just like having headlights for driving in the dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
inteva6184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #52
Forc3 F3d
Tri-State Addict

Member #10186

My Ride:
Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteva6184 View Post
so wait a second a two step launches the car for me? I had no idea. So if I activate a 2 step on my s2000 with my aem ems I am going to get 1.5 60 foots every launch? Where is my ems manual I dont remember it telling me this. Having 2 step makes it to damn easy just like having headlights for driving in the dark.
bingo!
'06 IX -DD-
Forc3 F3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #53
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Quote:
Originally Posted by inteva6184 View Post
Having 2 step makes it to damn easy just like having headlights for driving in the dark.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #54
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
this

mitsuboost30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #55
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:
Just a Lancer and a Civic

Send a message via AIM to J.Ralli Send a message via Yahoo to J.Ralli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proven View Post
Fair enough, but I don't think a "tuner" site insists that everyone already knows everything. Site's like this should give everyone the chance to learn off the next guy by asking questions. Of course everyone here knows they can just google something to get the answer but, sharing the questions and more importantly sharing the answers all in one place could lead to us all learning something.
but wait im confused, if the guy posting the questions knows EVERYTHING then how is the question by any means a serious question?
Quote:
CleanNeon98 is the kind of guy that wold sit in the corner crying if the world would ever be ending and he would want someone like J.Ralli to bring him a razor.
J.Ralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #56
93TalonEs-T
Tri-State Addict

Member #5591

My Ride:
06 Evo IX MR and 93 Talon es-t R.I.P.06-08

Send a message via AIM to 93TalonEs-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ralli View Post
but wait im confused, if the guy posting the questions knows EVERYTHING then how is the question by any means a serious question?
I this like a "if a tree falls in the woods" kinda question??

P.S. Evo+2step=
93TalonEs-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #57
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
No jealousy. Consistency means nothing when you don't actually drive the car. It takes no skill to set up launch control and just floor it. This is worse then people with autos saying how consistat they are. No ****, your computer is driving not you.
Ok, I'm going to make a few points here. Just read them, and then think about it.

1) Why do you think Subaru put factory two step on the cars?

Answer: So ndubz doesn't slam off the real rev limiter, let the clutch fly, and either a) blow the engine, b) mangle the drivetrain, or c) both.

Yes, they along with many other car manufactures are now implementing "2 step" rev limiters so that you can't just slam the engine off redline. Then they call it launch control so people feel good about themselves. Neat trick huh?

2) Have you ever tried building boost off the line feathering the gas pedal? Yeah, tell me how well that's going to work. And obviously you can't just stick your foot on the floor, smack off 8K a few times and a) expect to get any kind of traction (or boost for that matter) and b) expect to leave with all parts of the car still... on... the car?

Or you can stick to being a "driver" and pedal your way out of the hole while the rest of us actually build power behind our launch at a safe RPM.

I understand what you're trying to say, I'm not a big fan of floppy shifters either. But in the end, technology is what makes us go faster and faster. In the end the guy shifting his own gears, pedaling his own gas/brake pedal, and trying to find traction around the circuit is going to be slower than the guy who has a computer helping him out.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #58
Myevo8u
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #15480

My Ride:
03 mitsu EVO 8

launch control
Myevo8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #59
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:
S15 DD, srt4 drift missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
2) Have you ever tried building boost off the line feathering the gas pedal? Yeah, tell me how well that's going to work. And obviously you can't just stick your foot on the floor, smack off 8K a few times and a) expect to get any kind of traction (or boost for that matter) and b) expect to leave with all parts of the car still... on... the car?
I was thinking the same thing. Bouncing your foot at a certain RPM is not NEARLY as effective as wot on a limiter. Its just not possible to make a decent amount of boost on the launch without a 2-step or anti-lag.

You can clutch/brake boost it, but heating the hell out of your clutch at the line is not really my thing....
Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #60
Rotary Knight
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1772

My Ride:
88 FC gxl // 89 FC GTUs turbo

Send a message via AIM to Rotary Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6On-fNCoU

my ears bleed in ecstasy.

also....I hate that ****ing song.
Rotary Knight is offline   Reply With Quote