TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > European > Audi / Volkswagen Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
RBrum
Tri-State Addict

Member #8681

My Ride:
04 Subaru STI

Send a message via AIM to RBrum
VW GTI worth it?

hey i was wondering if anyone else on here has a gti and if it is a reliable car.
I am looking into a new car most likly in the next 3-4 months and i really like the gti perferably 2003-2005, so if anyone has one or knows if they are a good car please let me know. also what would be a better engine choice VR6 or 1.8t?
RBrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
first you have to determine if its worth the hassle of having all the typical vw problems and in the end still having a slow overpriced car...i say no

if you do get one, stay away from the vr6, but both cars are pretty sluggish stock. ive beaten modded gtis with either motor in my little miata.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
BlkWhtTSI
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7329

My Ride:
1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, '701/2 Camaro RS, '85 Mustang GT

Send a message via AIM to BlkWhtTSI
well i know a lot of people like the gti and you see a lot of them on the streets.
Quote:
Get some signatures in so you can post pics of your car.
BlkWhtTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Soda Popinski
Tri-State Addict

Member #8608

My Ride:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Send a message via AIM to Soda Popinski
Legacy GT 2008 or 2009... the 2010 models look like shiat.

You can save some $$ on a 2008 as the 09's are rolling out. But the 09's have a beautiful Ruby Red Pearl color.

The Spec.B forces you to take a M6, where GT gives you a M5 or Tiptronic 5EAT with padle shifters too. Give it a test drive.

Stock it's something like 250whp, 280ish torque... 5.7 0-60 speed...

easily modified and tuned to STi stock spec power ratings and beyond.

2008 should run you around 27k, the 09's you're looking about 30.

Leather interiors, moonroof options, it's like an Acura TL or A4 inside. Nice lines. Definately turns heads and respectable to anyone who sits in it.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

^^^dude wtf does that have to do with anything haha
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkWhtTSI View Post
well i know a lot of people like the gti and you see a lot of them on the streets.
Thats because most are either on their way to or from a mechanic...sometimes both because there are these "mystery problems" that nobody but the dealer can solve or fix and charge you an arm and a leg and the deed to your house and your firstborn
Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
if you do get one, stay away from the vr6, .
In my excperience the VR6 is a far more reliable motor then the 1.8t.

The GTI is a great car, comfortable and such but for the money there are other, more reliable, options that are just as nice.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Soda Popinski
Tri-State Addict

Member #8608

My Ride:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Send a message via AIM to Soda Popinski
Quote:
^^^dude wtf does that have to do with anything haha
LOL I dunno my take from the OP was he was looking for a good deal for something close to the GTI... meh. Nevermind I'm going back to smoking crack.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
GTI_NY
Tri-State Addict

Member #7578

My Ride:
I'm Dubbin' It!

OP -- i own a 06 GTI MKV, and before that i owned a jetta, so i have experience with them... any car you buy is a hit and miss no matter what kind, are you looking for a daily driver, or for performance? (mods can be a little pricey) what are you looking to spend? for any good advice we need more info, i would def go vr6 before the 1.8 turbo.
GTI_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Send a message via AIM to BigWhiteTodd
all i gotta say the newest gti is quick i had one by a car in my 06 si
BigWhiteTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
garrettej8
Tri-State Addict

Member #1793

My Ride:
2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3

Send a message via AIM to garrettej8
gti's are ok and reliability is trivial at best. the whole "german inspired/engineered" kind of boggles my mind however.

2008 MAZDASPEED 3
- COBB SRI, CS INSERTS /// 14.2@104 FWD FTL

2000 VSM CIVIC COUPE
stolen

CANON
garrettej8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Turbo s60R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2794

My Ride:
2009 Ford Focus coupe se

Send a message via AIM to Turbo s60R
the new gti's and Gli's are very quick considering, but its all a matter of what you want to spend...

and for the love of god ALEX STFU about your damn miata!!!! you were doing good there for a couple weeks......

2004 Volvo s60R-sold

Now rockin the murdered out econo box 09 Ford focus coupe
Turbo s60R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_NY View Post
OP -- i own a 06 GTI MKV, and before that i owned a jetta, so i have experience with them... any car you buy is a hit and miss no matter what kind, are you looking for a daily driver, or for performance? (mods can be a little pricey) what are you looking to spend? for any good advice we need more info, i would def go vr6 before the 1.8 turbo.
I don't know if it helps my credibility but I've had an 01 Jetta Wolfsburg (1.8t), 98 Beetle, 91 Fox, 77 Beetle and a 66 Beetle and my father sold them for years lol. I have been a VW fan for a long time but the newer years don't seem nearly as reliable as they were in say the 80's and earlier.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
92dxman
Tri-State Addict

Member #470

My Ride:
10 Mazda 5.

Random thought but how about a Tdi Golf instead of a GTI?
10 Mazda 5 (everything hauler)
92dxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
tg900
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7026

My Ride:
98 Isuzu Hombre

they have a jetta diesel...i saw at the dealership it says "not a concept car." I forget what size motor it was, but it was turbo diesel, and got like 42ish on the highway. That's probably the only car that appeals to me, since it would probably be reliable and a good daily.

With the MK 4's, the vr6 is more reliable, but gets worse mpg, so its a toss up. 1.8t is easier to mod since it comes with a stock turbo, which is the major cause of all the problems. But without the turbo, the car is extremely slow.

I like the look of vw's, i just don't like that they are overly complicated for no good reason. Around my area, they have become the new riced-out civic. Everyone and their mom have a VW, so I kinda respect hondas now and how they produce more power naturally aspirated than a good amount of vw's.

I'd suggest you look into the mkV jetta tdi, might be a nice car.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo s60R View Post
the new gti's and Gli's are very quick considering, but its all a matter of what you want to spend...

and for the love of god ALEX STFU about your damn miata!!!! you were doing good there for a couple weeks......
What did I say...that ive beaten the GTIs and GLIs?? Just goes to show how slow they are if they cant keep up with my little 1.8 turd sized turbo haha
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Turbo s60R
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2794

My Ride:
2009 Ford Focus coupe se

Send a message via AIM to Turbo s60R
yeah but the whole tucking your penis into a mangina to sit in a miata is not appealing to most men, and im curious to see a race between a gli and your car

2004 Volvo s60R-sold

Now rockin the murdered out econo box 09 Ford focus coupe
Turbo s60R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:
04 EVO Wrecked by Oakes Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender81 View Post
In my excperience the VR6 is a far more reliable motor then the 1.8t.

The GTI is a great car, comfortable and such but for the money there are other, more reliable, options that are just as nice.
Agreed. they are very reliable cars and now a days they are pretty cheap, talking about the older MK3 cars.

I had a 98 VR6 GTI that I put almost 100k HARD miles on with no issues. Raced the wheels off that thing to. It had at least 250 1/4mile passes on it with everything from a nasty all motor setup to a 120 shot DP n2o, to a turbo pushing +400whp all on the bone stock motor w/headstuds & MLS gasket. Stock block they can handle well over 400whp... you should have no problems if you are just daily driving it.
alwaysinboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
first off, dont listen to a thing that alex or anyone else who's NEVER OWNED a VW since they're most likely talking out of their ass. he's just repeating bad information he's heard on the internet and spreading it even farther without really knowing anything.
second... this is a vw related question, please put it in the appropriate section of the forum. i will move this one for you.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Quote:
What did I say...that ive beaten the GTIs and GLIs?? Just goes to show how slow they are if they cant keep up with my little 1.8 turd sized turbo haha
Wow your really growing a set around here aren't you! This is not a competition between your car and the GTI. They are good cars and are fun to drive especially the Euro models. I really like the U.S. Rabbit. I would DD that bitch. Most GTI's are good cars but few have had problems and parts are expensive, naturally with any German auto.