Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-13-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
YARDLEY05TSX
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #553

Lowering my 05' TSX questions

I have Tanabe Lowering Springs for my TSX.. 1.5R / 1.5F drop on average. I was told by the dealer that they will bolt right up with stock shocks... but the more I read about this, the more I worry. Should I be buying KONI's or similar to replace the stock shocks? What about the Camber Kit? The dealer also said that Camber really should be looked at dropping 2.0 or more and that I would be fine with just adding the springs.

Anyone out there with experience on this?

Nick
Comptech Ice Box - Intake
18x7.5 Kazera KZ-T Chrome Wheels
Lowering the car shortly
YARDLEY05TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Send a message via AIM to LSHatch
Don't listen to anything a dealer says first off.

Second, if the springs are made for your car, they will bolt right up. If you have the cash, you'd be better off getting some Koni's since you will have the springs apart anyway. I'm not sure about the camber for the TSX, but on a 1.5 inch drop, you should be able to get away with it from an alignment. Plus, negative camber will help handling anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
LSHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
YARDLEY05TSX

Member #553

Thanks

I appreciate the quick response. I have the money to do whatever it takes, just want to play it safe! Although the Koni'a are expensive, I think its the wise choice!
Lowering the car shortly
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

No problem.

Well, if you have the cash, just buckle down and get the Koni's. You'll appreciate the suspension a lot more if you do. I can't see the TSX shocks being very good either, since it's made to ride nicely. So, the Koni's will be a very good investment.

Good luck. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
YARDLEY05TSX

Member #553

Last one

Last question... I was thinking about doing the Ignition, do you have any experience with that? Is it worth the $250 for the extra spark? I am looking for anything to increase the torque on this vehicle... with the add ons I have, the top end is incredible, but low end torque is for the birds. Any suggestions?

Nick
Lowering the car shortly
Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

It's a Honda. Get used to not having the torque. I wouldn't mess with any of the new Honda's ignition. They create enough spark and are hard to improve on. You only need to upgrade that when you start making some serious power. Is your car a 6 speed? The best thing to make it feel like it has more torque is putting in a differnt final drive.

Edit...nevermind. Just saw that your sig says it's an auto.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

Get decent shocks.
Some may disagree with me on this but I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they put "lowering springs" on their cars. Either get entirely new, decent aftermarket shocks or leave it alone.
Chair-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chair-Force
Get decent shocks.
Some may disagree with me on this but I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they put "lowering springs" on their cars. Either get entirely new, decent aftermarket shocks or leave it alone.
Why do you suggest that? Any particular reason?

Old 06-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
Francesco
Tri-State Addict

Member #540

Send a message via AIM to Francesco
you will be ok with just the springs, but it will aid to your stock shocks wearing faster...

you usually only need an alignment and camber kit when you go under 2'' for a drop...this varies though from car to car...definately get an alignment, and if the dealor installs the springs they will probably do one for you...

as for camber for a TSX, is it adjustable from the factory like the s2000 is? you probably won't need a camber kit after the alignment...

Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
as for camber for a TSX, is it adjustable from the factory like the s2000 is? you probably won't need a camber kit after the alignment...
Pretty sure we have the only car that is.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
Francesco
Tri-State Addict

Member #540

Send a message via AIM to Francesco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSHatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Pretty sure we have the only car that is.
probably knowing us lol...were spoiled...

Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #12
slavetothemuzic
Tri-State Addict

Member #421

My Ride:
1991 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

Send a message via AIM to slavetothemuzic Send a message via Yahoo to slavetothemuzic
Quote:
Get decent shocks.
I would agree with you 90-95%. The only reason I say that is because I'm not familiar with this car in particular.

Quote:
I agree because generally speaking, stock shocks/struts are not built to take the punishment they receive from aftermarket springs. I know in the Eclipse world, people do it, and they always blow. Sometimes it's two days, sometimes it's a year, but they will blow. When that happens, they sometimes take other parts with them, causing additional expense over just getting the aftermarket shocks/struts to go with the springs in the first place.

So is it a huge deal? No. But it will definitely save you time, and possibly money if you just do both at once.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetothemuzic
Quote:
Get decent shocks.
I would agree with you 90-95%. The only reason I say that is because I'm not familiar with this car in particular.

Quote:
I agree because generally speaking, stock shocks/struts are not built to take the punishment they receive from aftermarket springs. I know in the Eclipse world, people do it, and they always blow. Sometimes it's two days, sometimes it's a year, but they will blow. When that happens, they sometimes take other parts with them, causing additional expense over just getting the aftermarket shocks/struts to go with the springs in the first place.

So is it a huge deal? No. But it will definitely save you time, and possibly money if you just do both at once.
Woid. Also alot of these aftermarket companies use springs that drop the car too much. Alot of people mistake less body roll thats associated with springs as resulting in better handling, which isn't always the case.
The most recent publication of SCC had a small article on the negative aspects of lowering springs, check it out.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #14
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

I actually read your post wrong from before. I thought you were trying to say either get full coilovers or nothing at all. At which point I had to ask why you would suggest that. But, with your response and rereading it, I must have been retarted at the time.

You also need to realize that Yardley05TSX wants to lower his car for looks. I doubt he will be road racing or even autocrossing, so his stock shocks won't be getting that beat up. I'm still on stock struts and they are slowly dying, but they have lasted almost two years. That is with aggressive driving and some autocrosses on them.

Is it a better idea to get new shocks while it is apart? Yes. Do you need to? Not really.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

Quote:
I actually read your post wrong from before. I thought you were trying to say either get full coilovers or nothing at all. At which point I had to ask why you would suggest that. But, with your response and rereading it, I must have been retarted at the time.

You also need to realize that Yardley05TSX wants to lower his car for looks. I doubt he will be road racing or even autocrossing, so his stock shocks won't be getting that beat up. I'm still on stock struts and they are slowly dying, but they have lasted almost two years. That is with aggressive driving and some autocrosses on them.

Is it a better idea to get new shocks while it is apart? Yes. Do you need to? Not really.
I'm the Anti-SpendingAlotOfMoneyOnLooksWithoutTheHorsepowerAlre adyThere guy.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Quote:

I'm the Anti-SpendingAlotOfMoneyOnLooksWithoutTheHorsepowerAlre adyThere guy.

My wheels are spraypainted. I win.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #17
Chair-Force
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #278

My Ride:
yo st8 driftin, b.

w0id.

I love the quote in your sig.