TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

What TV stations in our area broadcast in HD? (ota)

Like the topic says...

I might be pickup up an hdtv soon. We have cable at our house, but its basic comcast cable (no set top tuner box). None of our current tvs' are anything more than sdtv.

The stations that do broadcast:

Is it all the time, or only certain programs (Lost, monday night football...)

Is the hd broadcast on the same channel (wpvi abc 6 = channel #6) or is it a different # altogether?
2slowMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

You can pick up hdtv signals over the air for things like football but depending on wich tv you get you're usually going to have to get a cable box and some sort of hd package from the cable company. If you get a higher end hdtv you can get just a cable card that slides into the tv then you have no box rental charge "cough bs cough charge" HD programs are not all programs hell even survivor is'nt broadcast in hd but most prime time stuff is done in hd.
ibepressin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Nice. The tv's im looking for all have built in hd tuners in addition to standard def tuners. I know its a little more $$ but why buy outdated equipment.

1 more Q: If the tv has a hd tuner built in, it still might not have a cable card slot? This could be optional then?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
I went to comcast's website, and i think this is what you are asking correct me if I am wrong.
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2664

+1 for Comcast having a pretty good FAQ
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowMX5 View Post
Is the hd broadcast on the same channel (wpvi abc 6 = channel #6) or is it a different # altogether?
The OTA Digital channels are usually in decemial form. You can get multiple "versions" of one channel.

I have a computer with an OTA HD tuner and I get the following ABC channels:

6.1 - HD
6.2 - SD
6.3 - All weather

WHYY HD is worth checking out (12.1). They have some great stuff in HD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
88TSI_Rob
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #547

All the major local Philly stations (3, 6, 10, 12, 17, 29, 57, 65, etc) have digital channels (and some have multiple sub-channels like cburwell mentioned), but only certain shows/programs are filmed in HD. Most primetime TV and sports are now in HD.

For the other times the shows are still shown on the digital channel, but the quality is the normal standard definition. Even with the lower quality the standard definition on the digital channels is almost always better than the analog channel because you don't have to deal with a fuzzy picture from low reception. On the digital channels the picture either comes in perfect or it doesn't come in at all.
88TSI_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

Yea thats what I was talking about. There is alot more out there than the free over the air stuff. Even if the tv has a built in tuner you will need the cable companies cable box if there is no card slot. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ <--all the info you could ever need.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Thanks. Ive been to avsfoum before. Ive just never joined. They seem to be a bit "elitest" there and I dont really care for their NO POSTING PRICING policies.

Aside from that the knowlegde there is top notch. You wont find a better tech resource.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

warning... do not bother with a damn cable card. they are ****ty. i work for comcast... trust me. get a box. make sure its BRAND NEW... demand it.
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

Why spend the extra money for TV with an HD tuner already built in when your most likely never going to utilize it. You can only get the 3 over the air stations in HD without a box. You will need a comcast or direct TV box to get all the other channels in so that will be your tuner. I say save the money for the HD tuner built in and put it towards a really nice surround sound system, thats where the experience is anyway.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
ibepressin
Tri-State Addict

Member #2707

My Ride:
99 nbm z-28 stock

I'm a little north of you chaos so i'm with rcn. I've had no problems with the cable card in my aquos 45'' since day 1