TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #361
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I'm a little surprised it doesn't have flex-fuel from the factory, GM was ALL about that for a few years, haha.

Good to see you today! You have any videos to upload?

VIR next year & a comparison drive sounds like a good idea. Prepare to be whelmed
Yeah, me too. It would have been a great differentiator. Plus could be a 500 hp* asterisk rating haha

Thanks man, good to see you too. Also, big thanks for the help around the course today. I'm starting to wonder what my last run would have been without the slide out.

No videos here, I need to get a GoPro setup or something one of these days and just do it the right way.

Excellent! haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #362
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Cheapo action cam from Amazon or something + suction cup mount = cheap videos

No worries, too bad we didn't have one more run, could have cleaned that slide up and found half a second or more easily.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #363
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Cheapo action cam from Amazon or something + suction cup mount = cheap videos
I was looking into those cheaper cams, and from what I've read, the SJCAM is really good for its price.

edit: looks like they've gone up in price since i've last looked. Used to be between $50-$60

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...keywords=sjcam
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #364
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thank you both! Next question: how do you get the information overlays onto the videos?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #365
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

my dad has an SJCAM4000... buy the more expensive one so you can add an external mic. otherwise it works great. Battery life is acceptable (it comes with two batteries, plan on swapping fairly often because the fancy LCD display sucks battery), the Wi-Fi stuff seemed to work when I tried it, the video quality is great, audio quality is extremely lacking (very high levels of wind noise, and if you run the fully closed enclosure it's so quiet you can't hear anything at all)

I'm using SoloStorm. $200 app + $90 GPS puck + $80 OBD2 reader... I'd recommend TrackAddict (free on Android, $5 or something on iOS) with appropriate data collection stuff like the external GPS & OBD2 reader, then use RaceRender to put the data on the video & synchronize it. TrackAddict + RaceRender is what I used for my Shenandoah videos. BTW TrackAddict & RaceRender are HP Tuners products

Most of the track day/autocross apps do video integration only with GoPro since they're really fairly easy to interface with due to having readily available integration tools. So if you want to use an SJCAM or YI cam for video, you'd have to manually start the video and spend a bit more time syncing things up but it's no big deal.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #366
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
my dad has an SJCAM4000... buy the more expensive one so you can add an external mic. otherwise it works great. Battery life is acceptable (it comes with two batteries, plan on swapping fairly often because the fancy LCD display sucks battery), the Wi-Fi stuff seemed to work when I tried it, the video quality is great, audio quality is extremely lacking (very high levels of wind noise, and if you run the fully closed enclosure it's so quiet you can't hear anything at all)

I'm using SoloStorm. $200 app + $90 GPS puck + $80 OBD2 reader... I'd recommend TrackAddict (free on Android, $5 or something on iOS) with appropriate data collection stuff like the external GPS & OBD2 reader, then use RaceRender to put the data on the video & synchronize it. TrackAddict + RaceRender is what I used for my Shenandoah videos. BTW TrackAddict & RaceRender are HP Tuners products

Most of the track day/autocross apps do video integration only with GoPro since they're really fairly easy to interface with due to having readily available integration tools. So if you want to use an SJCAM or YI cam for video, you'd have to manually start the video and spend a bit more time syncing things up but it's no big deal.
Thank you guys, I'll put together the shopping list

If only GM offered a PDR retrofit kit for this car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #367
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That would make it too easy, eh?

You can start with the easiest and just use Harry's Lap Timer & your phone for video. GPS will only be 1Hz (I think Harry's lets you add external GPS though?) and iOS really limits what you can integrate data wise because it doesn't play nicely with Bluetooth devices.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #368
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That would make it too easy, eh?

You can start with the easiest and just use Harry's Lap Timer & your phone for video. GPS will only be 1Hz (I think Harry's lets you add external GPS though?) and iOS really limits what you can integrate data wise because it doesn't play nicely with Bluetooth devices.
I do have Harry's....just had a hard time getting it to record at the track last year. Going to have to try that again

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #369
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Jalopnik posted a Kinja deal on one of the Yi cams yesterday....... let me dig up a link

http://deals.kinja.com/our-readers-f...ow-1797856345#[ks|nativestream
Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #370
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Jalopnik posted a Kinja deal on one of the Yi cams yesterday....... let me dig up a link

Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #371
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post

That's a great deal, I just picked one up.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #372
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

That's a great deal! Just picked one up with the free battery promo too. Thank you!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #373
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
That's a great deal, I just picked one up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
That's a great deal! Just picked one up with the free battery promo too. Thank you!
You're welcomes guys!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #374
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Camera was delivered early last week and it works great! Now I need to get the vehicle attachment pieces to mount it. Thank you again for the tips and help, guys. This is going to be a nice addition to race day

Also got the 1LE short shifter installed today:

When I tried the 1LE shifter before, it was sitting in a dealership showroom, so the shifter felt mechanical and notchy. I really liked that. What I didn't consider was how it would feel with some transmission fluid worked through the gear sets from driving.

So now that it's installed (3 hours labor at local dealer), I can say that it firms up the shifts and is a little bit shorter, but really nothing drastic. It cleans up the SS shifter enough to where I think the car should have come this way. It's not a drastic reduction in throw and the increase in effort is minimal.

Worth doing, yes. Must have? Ehh...yes? Glad I got it done, the car is definitely more fun to drive now.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #375
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Camera was delivered early last week and it works great! Now I need to get the vehicle attachment pieces to mount it. Thank you again for the tips and help, guys. This is going to be a nice addition to race day
If you can wait the 2 weeks for shipping Gearbest and Fasttech have some great prices for mounts and accessories. If you want it quick and dont mind paying a bit more, there are sellers on amazon selling the same stuff with prime shipping.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #376
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
If you can wait the 2 weeks for shipping Gearbest and Fasttech have some great prices for mounts and accessories. If you want it quick and dont mind paying a bit more, there are sellers on amazon selling the same stuff with prime shipping.
I went with this pack of accessories.

Seems like everything is half decent quality so far.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #377
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:

good price for everything that comes with it!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #378
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

Sniper shot! Great find, thank you, just ordered!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #379
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Just had to find your spring rates for reasons...

I'm surprised how linear they are for OEM springs.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #380
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Just had to find your spring rates for reasons...

I'm surprised how linear they are for OEM springs.
Yeah, the shop where they were dynoed said the same thing.

Lots of little details to make a pig handle well.

/
/
/
/
/