TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Honda / Acura Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
Honda Help. Turbo or NA

So I know there is tons of honda heads on here and I need help with my build. Im not sure if I wanna turbo my B16 or keep it NA. As is right now I beat stage 2 srt4s, k20s...

JDM B16b on b16 trans
-auto zone Intake
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Chipped and Tuned p28.

Vtec at 4800 and redline at 9400.

Tons of people are telling me to booast my car and it will be a beast motor.

I heard b16s and Type R cams on boost are known to blow up and I dont wanna do that.

I can change out the pistons and get a better fuel rail, injectors, and Hondata and run a small turbo at 9psi and be close to 300wph.

Or I was thinking about doing
All motor with
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Type R Inake Mani
-3 Inch AEM Intake
-TB (Not sure of what kind yet)
-Hondata s200
-Port and Polish Head
-Injectors (not sure what size)

I also want to change out my b16 5th gear with a LS 5th gear.

And have a all motor beast close to 205whp. I am going towards all motor more cause I don't wanna risk blowing my motor up with a turbo.
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
I'd do an all motor build.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

It will get stolen so it doesn't really matter what you do.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Aren't 'stage 2' srt4's running like 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile times? How are you beating them?
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
I hate the term stages and blowing up because of cams..... I dont see that. Different cams for NA and boost when coming to splits and overlap so they may not be the best for boost but at the end of the day they were safe enough to be a factory cam. Blowing up motors comes to a few things, unhealthy motor, oiling issues, cooling issues, and a bad tune/timing. So if your compression numbers are good and you plan on boost you should do a few things oil pump water pump timing set, head resurfaced and use a quality MLS gasket, ARP head studs. Proper research for oil feed and drain, and a quality tune for the set up. Taking factory NA motors and just slapping cheap turbo kits on them is not the way to go if you want it to last
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
It will get stolen so it doesn't really matter what you do.
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Aren't 'stage 2' srt4's running like 13.6-13.8 1/4 mile times? How are you beating them?
Ran two from digs last night and i get them about 1.5 cars. Im gutted out with no PS and AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC View Post
I hate the term stages and blowing up because of cams..... I dont see that. Different cams for NA and boost when coming to splits and overlap so they may not be the best for boost but at the end of the day they were safe enough to be a factory cam. Blowing up motors comes to a few things, unhealthy motor, oiling issues, cooling issues, and a bad tune/timing. So if your compression numbers are good and you plan on boost you should do a few things oil pump water pump timing set, head resurfaced and use a quality MLS gasket, ARP head studs. Proper research for oil feed and drain, and a quality tune for the set up. Taking factory NA motors and just slapping cheap turbo kits on them is not the way to go if you want it to last
I am gonna do more research on it.
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

I have a hard time believing you are beating stage 2 srts and k20 motors with your current setup but if you say so.

Type r cams won't blow your motor they are actually pretty good for turbo cars. Just because you run all motor cams on a turbo setup isn't going to blow your motor. I made more power with skunk 2 pro 2 all motor cams then I did with the pro 2 turbo cams on my car. Just make sure you degree the cams in and get the car tuned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
there were a handful of stock srt's back in the day pulling those numbers. i doubt this guy is beating stage 2 srt4s when he WANTS to have a "beast" that puts down 205whp.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Dominick
Tri-State Addict

Member #22876

My Ride:
1999 Honda Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslow95 View Post
I'd do an all motor build.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpressure02 View Post
I have a hard time believing you are beating stage 2 srts and k20 motors with your current setup but if you say so.

Type r cams won't blow your motor they are actually pretty good for turbo cars. Just because you run all motor cams on a turbo setup isn't going to blow your motor. I made more power with skunk 2 pro 2 all motor cams then I did with the pro 2 turbo cams on my car. Just make sure you degree the cams in and get the car tuned.
With the EK hatchs being as light as they are, and his VTEC engaging at 4800, I can certainly see him pulling on K20s and some SRT4's.

JDMTyler, I would go the Buddy Club N/A motor route you had listed. EVERYONE turbos Honda's. It's getting to monotonus. It takes more ability to build a N/A motor and have it beat boosted cars.

I'd get some 700ish injectors and maybe a ITR throttle body to add to your list.
Dominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
i would sell the b16 and buy a d series and turbo that. i imagine you'll be able to get more power from a turbo d then a mild build of a b. plus you might even have some cash leftover in the end. ohh and when the d series pops you can more easily afford a new one in comparison to the b.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
x2

With the EK hatchs being as light as they are, and his VTEC engaging at 4800, I can certainly see him pulling on K20s and some SRT4's.

JDMTyler, I would go the Buddy Club N/A motor route you had listed. EVERYONE turbos Honda's. It's getting to monotonus. It takes more ability to build a N/A motor and have it beat boosted cars.

I'd get some 700ish injectors and maybe a ITR throttle body to add to your list.
EK hatches aren't light. I have an all motor ek hatch With most of the bs removed and it still weighs 2550 with a half tank of gas. Also he said beating srt's and k20 not pulling on them.

205 HP isn't a monster NA motor that is hardly anything.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
92accordex
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15702

My Ride:
euryoo

ugh. you bought such a correctly built car. Why mess it up? Chances are (speaking from past experience) youll mess with motor, not be able to fix it, then sell for a loss. As much as I wouldnt mind that, because Id take this car off your hands It's not a good idea. Leave it as is.Maybe do some minor boltons you or a friend could handle. But "building" a motor or boosting it isn't a walk in the park. You know im here for help always man. Just some c&c
92accordex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMTyler3326 View Post
Hater
I'm not a hater... I'm just smarter then you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92accordex View Post
ugh. you bought such a correctly built car. Why mess it up? Chances are (speaking from past experience) youll mess with motor, not be able to fix it, then sell for a loss. As much as I wouldnt mind that, because Id take this car off your hands It's not a good idea. Leave it as is.Maybe do some minor boltons you or a friend could handle. But "building" a motor or boosting it isn't a walk in the park. You know im here for help always man. Just some c&c
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Last edited by jpalamar; 11-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
cvcrcr99
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17691

My Ride:
is discontinued

Quote:
I can change out the pistons and get a better fuel rail, injectors, and Hondata and run a small turbo at 9psi and be close to 300wph.

Or I was thinking about doing
All motor with
-Buddy Club Header
-Buddy Club 2.5 Exhaust
-Type R cams
-Type R Inake Mani
-3 Inch AEM Intake
-TB (Not sure of what kind yet)
-Hondata s200
-Port and Polish Head
-Injectors (not sure what size)
Isn't a B16b that the Civic Type R motor? How would adding Type R cams and etc to it help?

If you are staying N/A Fuel rail would be overkill IMO. Hondata S200 is outdated. Just go for the S300. If you are staying N/A, I am sure 440cc injectors will be plenty unless you plan on running E85. That's about all of the constructive criticism I can provide without getting too involved in this thread. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 11-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.
cvcrcr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
saxon
Tri-State Addict

Member #21656

My Ride:
2015 m3

I wouldn't do anything, it seems like you don't know a damn thing saying you added type r cams on a motor that already has them

turbo it with a legit (full race, synapse etc) and get a good tune, will be 300+ hp easy
saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I'm not a hater... I'm just smarter then you.
New line for the sig. hahahaha
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Don't mess with it, you don't need to be the fastest kid around. You can make it go 11's on all motor, had a buddy who did with a B16.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post

Stop. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

OP, I don't think you know what it takes to do either build, so I would just leave it the way it is. Your mod list is... all over the place. You've addressed all the wrong areas, under addressed some of the most crucial, and completely missed the rest.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post

OP, I don't think you know what it takes to do either build, so I would just leave it the way it is. Your mod list is... all over the place. You've addressed all the wrong areas, under addressed some of the most crucial, and completely missed the rest.
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Dominick
Tri-State Addict

Member #22876

My Ride:
1999 Honda Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
**** me right?
Dominick is offline   Reply With Quote