TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Mazda Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
mx931
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #15403

My Ride:
jdm nissan, looking for bike!

common mazda rx8 problems

Hey guys, im interested in buying an rx8. i was about to buy a 2005 with 40k on it, but after i read more about the car i realized how unreliable the car is.
I read that the 2006s and up are better? can any one give me more info on the engine failure?
mx931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Flaps720
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10893

My Ride:
2003 Nissan 350z

there were a lot of issues with the 04-05's, but mazda got most of the kinks worked out for 2006. The engine itself is generally much more reliable than a piston engine, provided it is maintained properly, just be sure the common recalls/TSB's for the early models were addressed. I pm'd you with more info.
Flaps720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

Send a message via AIM to l337fpc
RX8 TSBs

As long as the scheduled performance is done, no worries. Remember, rotary's drink oil; its very very important to keep your oil levels up.

RX8 FAQ

Any other questions or concerns?
l337fpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

As long as you know what you are doing and all the TSB's are up to date and you do schedule maintence the RX8 is a really reliable car...half of the problems you hear are people who buy them (a lot of females drive them) dont know there is a little extra maintence that goes into the RX8

1. Do not turn off car if it is not fully warmed up...(can cause flooding)
2.CHECK YOUR OIL *I check before longer trips* They say generally every 2 gas fill ups but i check way more then that
3."redline a day keeps the carbon away" This car is meant to be driven in the higher rpm ranges people you never get on it have issues with cats/carbon
4.regular maintence like every other car...around 40k buying used new coils/plugs are reccomended

04's-05's had some issues but i have an 04 with all the TSB's up to date with 32K miles and the thing is dead reliable...althought i dont drive the car in the winter (have a beater) it keeps the miles low the car has never given me a problem

No starting issues etc...

Dont be afraid of the rotary its not bad

Get on RX8Club.com and shift through the stuff....People are reallllly helpful (but like i said from what i see half the problems are from people not takign care of the car)

NOPSTNS will hopefully chime in he has a lot of knowledge on these cars

The only problem i have is not enough torque haha.. the car dogs low end but once it gets above 4k rpm it wakes up and its a blast to drive, handles great, the interior on the GT's is perfect

And expect HORRIBLE Gas milage haha
|Nikon|
Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by SvicksTc; 03-23-2010 at 10:59 PM.
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

^+1!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Check out l337fpc new stance you will fall in love with these cars...

Im not 100% on this information but im pretty sure mazda extended the warrenty on the 04-05's for engine failure and for catylitic convertor failure...

like i said get on RX8club.com
|Nikon|
Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvicksTc View Post
Check out l337fpc new stance you will fall in love with these cars...

Im not 100% on this information but im pretty sure mazda extended the warrenty on the 04-05's for engine failure and for catylitic convertor failure...

like i said get on RX8club.com

04-05 engines, cats, and transmissions are covered until 100,000mi.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

^^^Pure Sex

and i thought it was 100,000 miles and something like 80,000 miles on the cat...but i wasnt 100% sure
|Nikon|
Twitter:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
willits8
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19232

My Ride:
2004 Mazda Rx8

What are the TSBs? you mentioned recalls? i just bought a used 2004 a month ago so i wanna check if im missing anything
willits8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by willits8 View Post
What are the TSBs? you mentioned recalls? i just bought a used 2004 a month ago so i wanna check if im missing anything
posted above
|Nikon|
Twitter:
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

SvicksTc,

has your airpump started to whine on you yet? and did you ever check your SSV/air box for oil coming through from your oil neck's vacuum line?

If your not getting smooth accelerations anymore, i'd pop your airbox open and check for any oil in your intake tube. If there is, you need to get your self a catch can and do the TSB for your SSV...because its robbing you of performance.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

Quote:
^^^Pure Sex

and i thought it was 100,000 miles and something like 80,000 miles on the cat...but i wasnt 100% sure
I think all cats are covered til 100k now because of some emmisions regualtion that I forget what it is called.

Like everyone said drive in the higher rpms, redline that ish.

I doubt you would want an auto, but the autos are more prone to blow up or flood then the 6spds because they dont normally get driven the way they were ment to be.
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

Oh and I forgot to say that Modifed just got one for their project car and they are doing the normal mainnace to make it more reliable first, new plugs and coils etc.

The eltrical system on these are very sensitive and can really hurt if you have bad plugs, more then a normal engine.
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

theres a kit from black halo racing that uses LS2 coil packs...its the only true plug and play upgrade for the rx8's ignition. Im running it and the car run's smoother and gets a bit better mpg.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337fpc View Post
SvicksTc,

has your airpump started to whine on you yet? and did you ever check your SSV/air box for oil coming through from your oil neck's vacuum line?

If your not getting smooth accelerations anymore, i'd pop your airbox open and check for any oil in your intake tube. If there is, you need to get your self a catch can and do the TSB for your SSV...because its robbing you of performance.
airpump whine negative, have never checked my ssv i hear that is a long process....

I check my intake here and there and nothing so far, i run the K&N Typhoon i do want a catch can though...

i only have 38xxx on here now
|Nikon|
Twitter:
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

im over 85,000mi now, lol. I got a weapon r one from JSCSpeed and mounted it by my battery. The SSV took me 10hrs, but it was well worth it.

idk if you can see these pics but here is before:

after:

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

hot damn, 10 hrs.... i dont think that is something i would like to do without a garage haha i guess come this summer

that thing was gunked...

and another thing you live 15 mins from me and we have yet to meet up haha
|Nikon|
Twitter:
Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

Quote:
hot damn, 10 hrs.... i dont think that is something i would like to do without a garage haha i guess come this summer

that thing was gunked...

and another thing you live 15 mins from me and we have yet to meet up haha
You've been saying that for like 2 years now, lol. Keep your eye on the NE rx8 forum in the rx8club, i hold monthly install meets at my house in the spring -> fall. The most 8's that have shown up were 8 8's. We've installed everything but a full suspension and a turbo kit, lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #19
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337fpc View Post
You've been saying that for like 2 years now, lol. Keep your eye on the NE rx8 forum in the rx8club, i hold monthly install meets at my house in the spring -> fall. The most 8's that have shown up were 8 8's. We've installed everything but a full suspension and a turbo kit, lol.
i hardly go in rx8club anymore thats probably why, going to have to let me know on here or something because im down for that...
|Nikon|
Twitter:
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

you got it, i'll pm you when im having a local meet at my place.