TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
95mustang
Noob-Jersey

Member #10527

My Ride:
1995 ford mustang

Question about bringing back Carbon fiber

what is the best clear to use to bring back clear... because my uncle asked me cause im doing it for my cousin for christmas and i didnt even start it yet so can someone give me some details on it... plz send me a pm
95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
DC2.2GSR
Tri-State Addict

Member #5220

My Ride:
is completely stock and gets great gas mileage.

clear is clear is clear. lol. it all does the same thing. what varies between brands is the chemical composition. more high end brands like DuPont, PPG, BASF, Sikkens, Glassurit, etc. have more money that goes into R&D. with those brands you'll usually get a superior finish both in durability and shine. most of those will also be much easier to nib and buff.

the off brands of those companies and cheaper name brand stuff will be nearly as good, but most of the time they're better used as production clears. production meaning faster, harder drying, watery flow (so less buffing is necessary), etc. they're meant to be put on cheap and easy. these companies usually have less R&D coin and are lesser quality clearcoats, both in durability and shine, but also in color. clearcoat is rarely perfectly clear, but with cheaper clears you'll see much more yellowing.

after that rambling.. lol.. the best clear to use for that carbon hood is the one that suits your needs for the final product. is the hood a "must be perfect" job? are you going to nib/buff? do you know how to paint? if the answer to all of those are YES, then see the first paragraph. if this is a one-time thing and you're only trying to bring back the shine a bit and make the hood last a while longer... the job doesn't really matter that much - look for a brand like Western, Spies-Heckler, etc. they're good, but not unnecessarily good.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
95mustang
Noob-Jersey

Member #10527

My Ride:
1995 ford mustang

alright ty dude i appreciate ur help my cousin still doesnt even know about it and he hope fully would notice it when he doesnt see a hood on his car
95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote