TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
lemans in philly

my friend told me last year that american lemans offered philly to have a street course race i think this year, they obviously didnt accept the offer. did any1 ever hear this? i think it was for this year cuz they had some new street tracks this year.

anyway if there was a street course, how do u think they would lay it out? i would think the park way or something, would they patch up the streets or anything?
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

um, have u driven in philly in the past 50 years? the roads r pure hell. the dude must have been kidding. the entire northeast is known for bad roads so itll be a cold day in hell when a prestigous racing series ASKS to hold a race anywhere near here.
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
WKderF
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #30

My Ride:
Taste The Beast

Send a message via AIM to WKderF
actually actor / race team owner Paul Newman has tried SEVERAL times to bring circuit racing to philadelphia. the courses vary but most used kelly drive, the parkway, and i believe one variant used the vine street expressway & parts of I95. each time Paul Newman tries, he gets denied with reasoning that closing all the necesary streets would bring the city to an absolute standstill w/ traffic.

I for one would LOVE to see circuit racing in philly - but it aint gonna happen.
WKderF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

the park way would be sick, u can watch from the arm museum, i think kelly drive would be cool but i dunno where they would loop back around. i can see 676 bein part of it.

i think it would be entertaining to see race cars flyin down south street and cobble stone roads
Old 04-15-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

I can vouch for this too, I remember hearing/reading about the idea.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKderF View Post
actually actor / race team owner Paul Newman has tried SEVERAL times to bring circuit racing to philadelphia. the courses vary but most used kelly drive, the parkway, and i believe one variant used the vine street expressway & parts of I95. each time Paul Newman tries, he gets denied with reasoning that closing all the necesary streets would bring the city to an absolute standstill w/ traffic.
I remember when he first did this years ago. I was psyched to go see some racing in the city!

I remember them siting traffic and the cost of prepping the roads as the reasons not to host the races. With the rising murder rate in the city, Philadelphia could use some positive publicity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPSTNS View Post
um, have u driven in philly in the past 50 years? the roads r pure hell. the dude must have been kidding. the entire northeast is known for bad roads so itll be a cold day in hell when a prestigous racing series ASKS to hold a race anywhere near here.
No matter where they go the roads/streets would have to be prepped for the races. It's not a matter of throwing up some barriers and curbing.

I would imagine that the host city and the racing league would work together to get the streets up to par. In either case repairs and modifications to the existing roads will need to be made.

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
Old 04-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

they would make so much money off this, they shut down the parkway for lots of events, live 8, 4th of july, bicycle racing.

plus they would get improved roads, i wonder if they would leave all the marks on the road from rubber. i wonder how much it would cost to run there tho? philly would bring it tons of money.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

I was thinking that they would make a good amount of money off of this as well. If they hosted multiple races over the years that would thin out the construction costs. I'm sure the wizards in the Philly government had a reason to say no.

-

Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
92dxman
Tri-State Addict

Member #470

My Ride:
10 Mazda 5.

Paul Newman approached Philly about holding a street circuit race because he went to New York City about the idea and they flat out refused it because of how much of a massive traffic jam it would cause with all of the closures.
92dxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
DropTopChevy
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #242

My Ride:
2002 2.8 30V V6

Send a message via AIM to DropTopChevy
I remember hearing this and I'm pretty sure that the ben franklin parkway was going to be involved in the plans. It was like ages ago though
Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
twistedlanes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3529

My Ride:
currently out of Commission be back soon

WE should block off the streets at night like F& F and have our own Lemans races. Then well see what the city has to say about it. Paul Newman is the Sh** he's was like the Tom Cruise of his day. Too bad Tom Cruise doesn't have his own racing series. It could be called something like the Cruise Grand Prix.

twistedlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #13
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Send a message via AIM to S4toSTI
American cities seem to lack the insight that holding racing events within their city limits is a good thing. Cause monaco doesn't have any tourism or wealthy people right... wait a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
Bryan: hmm Word says streetable isnt a word but i say f*** Word
"Its not a Rice Rocket its a Matzah Missile" -RichK
S4toSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
italianblaze
Tri-State Addict

Member #2973

My Ride:
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew XLT 5.4

Send a message via AIM to italianblaze

91 Laser Rs-T Build - on the back burner

italianblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
twistedlanes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3529

My Ride:
currently out of Commission be back soon

^^

twistedlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

Would absolutely love to see this happen. An ALMS race that close would be great. Not to mention a few other race series would jump on as well for the weekend (i.e., Speed World Challenge GT and Touring Car...my two favorite series EVAR! ).

3 STU - 2006 Philly STX Champ - 2007/2008 WDCR STX Champ - Sponsored by
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote