TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
1988 Olds
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #201

My Ride:
2012 Chevy Cruze

Send a message via AIM to 1988 Olds
Which New Budget Car ?

Hey guys, my g/f has been thinking about getting a new car. She is looking to spend I think around 22,000-23,000 range. I've been looking around since I really don't know much about new cars. There is just so many out there I have no idea which one is the best. Some of the ones I personally like are Acura RSX or RSX-S, Mazda 3 or 6, SRT-4 (lol I hope), Chevy Cobalt, Scion TC. I know there is many more out there but which would you guys buy. Remember she is not looking for a fast car, just something cheap and reliable.Also can you even get any decent used like BMWs or Audi TTs for this cheap. I personally think she should go with a used RSX-S cause there going to be cheap cause of the new design coming out. Thanks for the help

Dynoed at 237hp and 292lbs at the rear wheels.
Hmm ran 13.52 @ 103.42 11/10/06
1994 Hunter Green Acura Integra DB7, Stock
1988 Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

You can get older model WRX's for around that price and cheaper.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Is she performance oriented? If so, I would have to suggest the WRX also. You can easily find one for around 17-18k bucks. I like the RSX and others you mentioned, however, in terms of what’s out right now… if she (or you) want to take it to the next level in terms of “all around performance” (not just straight line) the WRX would be the best bet.

She won’t regret her decision.
9 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
OutOfStock
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #25

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra

Send a message via AIM to OutOfStock
Id say WRX or She can come close to an 05 RSX-S, both are sexy
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
you can get a brand new srt-4 for 18-19k but its stick

or the cobalt ss for around the same in automatic.
Now it's a war you ain't on the side wit me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SilverTurboRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Jerseygirl
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #838

Send a message via AIM to Jerseygirl
You can get an almost fully loaded MINI Cooper for under $23K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
2003 MINI Cooper S

1973 "Swedish Racing Green" Volvo 1800ES

1979 Triumph Spitfire
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

I'd definitely go WRX for that price. But if she isn't going to drive it like it should be driven, it would be a waste of a car.

If she wants something cheap and reliable, and is going to keep it stock, I'd say go Mitsubishi Eclipse or Hyundai Tiburon. Both cars are not overly exciting, or the best driver's cars, but most chicks I know love them. Plus, you get a 100,000 mile warranty to boot.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
Something cute like a VW GTI would be good for her...they are reliable if kept stock. The new ones have reverted back to German engineering (transmission wise) compared to the crappy Mexican ones. The basic GTI starts around $19k and the VR6 goes for $22k. There is also the option of the GLI which starts at $23k but utilizes the 1.8t concept (so it's turbocharged) and @ around 200hp.

Last edited by SexyDSM95; 09-09-2005 at 03:18 PM.
SexyDSM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Tim, get her an 88 cutlass for only 12k, a steal!

Nah man, if reliability is her issue, get her a toyota man. Get a new/certified camry or corolla-s. semi-sporty, but very reliable.

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Send a message via AIM to smoger
steer away from an srt-4, especially if she is not looking for speed. even moreso if she is not used to driving a fast car. youd be shocked if you saw the amount of srt-4's totaled due to things like lift throttle oversteer and just flat out inexperienced driving,.. no way in hell id want my girlfriend driving one

how about a saab 9-2x, its like 23k before the employee discount. all wheel drive, a little luxury..

btw since when was 23k a budget car? i can think of a lot more cars that id consider budget before the likes of these

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

.. all car enthusiasts are welcome
smoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
SexyDSM95
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #188

Send a message via AIM to SexyDSM95
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoger
btw since when was 23k a budget car? i can think of a lot more cars that id consider budget before the likes of these
...like?
SexyDSM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #12
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyDSM95
...like?
GET HER A SATURN!!!! I'm serious those things are great on gas get her like an SC2 used those beast run forever as long as its a DOHC. I know a lot of girls actually find the new ION cute and it comes in this like new baby blue that girls go crazy for trust me I've heard this1 have her check it out I mean **** you can get them for like 13K and they get a lot of miles to the gallon and thats needed in our gas crisis now a days. I agree that a WRX would be a waste but also as suggested a Tirburon or Eclipse would be cool. I test drove a new V6 eclipse fully loaded, my friends getting one, and actually was pretty impressed with it plus it had premium audio system which was nice it had a 10" sub in it. Anyway I know a lot of people may not like Saturns but if you buy one and just leave it stock they'll last forever. Hell I've even talked to guys with over 200,000 miles on there 93SC2s running NITROUS with NO PROBLEM!!!!! LoL anyway my suggestions are there

1. SATURN
2. Eclipse
3. Tibby

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Quote:
...like?
like... 15k dollar cars?

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

Old 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
2point4DSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #505

My Ride:
08 Sienna Limited AWD, 07 John Deere riding mower, 03 Honda Pilot, 92 GSX

Send a message via AIM to 2point4DSM
Quote:
Something cute like a VW GTI would be good for her...they are reliable if kept stock. The new ones have reverted back to German engineering (transmission wise) compared to the crappy Mexican ones. The basic GTI starts around $19k and the VR6 goes for $22k. There is also the option of the GLI which starts at $23k but utilizes the 1.8t concept (so it's turbocharged) and @ around 200hp.
German car and reliable don't go together. I forget where this was mentioned, (Consumer Reports?), but in terms of reliablility, 1st - Japanese cars, 2nd - American cars, 3rd - German cars.

Personally, I like the Mazda 3 because of what it has to offer in terms of performance and style. Best car in this class in terms of reliability would probably be the RSX. Hondas run forever. It's the parts they use that you don't see all the time that makes them great and dependable.

And any car with a long warranty is suspect. Why do they need such a long warranty... is it because most people know they aren't reliable? Well, guess what, if the car does have a problem and they can't fix it right, they won't. Mechanics hate warranty work and are more likely to half-ass those jobs. And once they fix it they consider it "fixed" for good. If it comes back for the same work it's not covered under the manufacturers warranty anymore. Instead they will give you the run around and tell you to take it up with the dealership... good luck!

08 Sienna, limited AWD w/ laser guided cruise control, FTMFW!

Last edited by 2point4DSM; 09-09-2005 at 04:47 PM.
2point4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point4DSM

And any car with a long warranty is suspect. Why do they need such a long warranty... is it because most people know they aren't reliable?

i think in a lot(but not all cases) manufacturers offer a warranty based on percieved quality as opposed to actual quality. they give people a reason to feel confident about the cars and once they gain a customer base they can shrink back the warranty.

i dont think what you said about them only fixing warranty things once is fair,.. perhaps if you go to a horrible dealer but most will do what they can,.. if they truly dont know how to fix it, remember they only get 3 tries...

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

Old 09-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #16
WrxJC
Tri-State Addict

Member #412

My Ride:
2007 Wrx

get an older wrx. or if she wants to spend 22-23k on a NEW car, buy 5 kias. Then if 1 breaks you still have 4 more to drive and 5k left over to fix the old one.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
DoubleOughtCel
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #343

Don't let her get a Tiburon. Becki has only had hers for 5 months and its been in the shop for minor elctrical problems at least 3 times.

Either a Honda or some type of Subaru. Hell, tell her to get an older 2.5rs, that way she has AWD for the winter and she still won't be able to beat your car.
Quote:
experience > degree > blowjob > handjob > anal sex with a guy > certificate
DoubleOughtCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #18
Nitro
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #548

Send a message via AIM to Nitro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurboRidin
you can get a brand new srt-4 for 18-19k but its stick

or the cobalt ss for around the same in automatic.
You cannot get the SS in auto, but you can get the auto in the Cobalt LS. I'd say if she just wants cheap and reliable (and good on gas with today's prices), the Mazda or the Acura is probably your best bet. Not that I have a lot of experience with Mazda's though.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #19
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
You cannot get the SS in auto, but you can get the auto in the Cobalt LS. I'd say if she just wants cheap and reliable (and good on gas with today's prices), the Mazda or the Acura is probably your best bet. Not that I have a lot of experience with Mazda's though.
Because of gas thats why I'm saying a saturn. Those things get KILLER gas miliage specially the older ones. Hell before I blew up my old saturn I would get like 40Miles to the gallon NO LIE it was nuts

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #20
1988 Olds
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #201

My Ride:
2012 Chevy Cruze

Send a message via AIM to 1988 Olds
She's not really a Saturn Fan. She told me I could drive it so that's why I said SRT-4 or Type-S. I seriously like the Scion TC, knowing that it is a toyota is nice too. She does not like Saturns or WRXs. I don't know how you can't like a WRX but she really doesn't need a turbo anyway. Once she starts her job we are going to start looking around. She doesn't know how to drive stick but wants to learn so I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm kinda afraid she won't get the hang of it so going with an auto may be alot easier. How much is a decent Scion TC cost or would you guys go with a regular RSX. I really don't like the Tiburon styling that much myself and yeah I heard there is alot of problems with the new ones.

Sexy - The GLI is defiantly a sweet looking car.

Dynoed at 237hp and 292lbs at the rear wheels.
Hmm ran 13.52 @ 103.42 11/10/06
1994 Hunter Green Acura Integra DB7, Stock
1988 Olds is offline   Reply With Quote