TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

PAdutch gets STUNG!

My daughter is now 15 months old which means we have been dealing with a rear facing car seat for a while. My wife and I both had 2 door cars (13 genesis coupe + 13 accord 2 door) and never felt like dealing with crawling in the back. So we drove our boring ass outlander everywhere. Long story short, we wanted a more practical and not boring car so we took our 2, 2 door cars and turned them into this:

2019 Kia Stinger GTS AWD

The GTS is a special edition (400 AWD versions nationwide) with Dawd (D = drift mode). Essentially, it has a locking dif and with all the traction control off it allows for drifting. I am yet to verify. I do not plan any major mods, wheels and tires, maybe a sway bar etcetera.

Expect this thread to feel more like a long term review than a super build. After having it for about weeks now I would say it checks all the important boxes. Car seat fits, easy in and out, very nice ride, handles quite well, and accelerates like you would expect 370hp AWD to. I have not tried launch mode yet (man I'm getting old).

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by PAdutch; 01-08-2020 at 11:46 AM.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Congrats man. Beautiful car and such a game changer in the auto industry. Kia/Hyundai are killing it lately. Love that color too.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Congrats! I just watched a review, seems like a great car. It has an M5 comp vibe about it, not sure why.

I am so out of touch with new cars I couldn't name you a car that Kia makes outside of the Soul.

Life comes full circle now that you're back in an AWD turbo taxi!

Also, once your new purchase has settled in, you owe that thing downpipes and a tune.

Last edited by blue91lx; 01-07-2020 at 08:27 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Congrats man. Beautiful car and such a game changer in the auto industry. Kia/Hyundai are killing it lately. Love that color too.
Agree. With the genesis and now the stinger I heard the stigma "Its a kia/hyundai" from time to time. Anyone who has that opinion just hasn't spent any time in there modern cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Congrats! I just watched a review, seems like a great car. It has an M5 comp vibe about it, not sure why.

I am so out of touch with new cars I couldn't name you a car that Kia makes outside of the Soul.

Life comes full circle now that you're back in an AWD turbo taxi!

Also, once your new purchase has settled in, you owe that thing downpipes and a tune.
My boss has the twin turbo v8 S6 and while it is certainly a level above the Stinger, I think the stinger has the same vibe. Plenty of power, fits the things you want comfortably, just not quite as fast and not quite as nice inside. I will say, new car shopping does not make me happy. Dealerships suck, they like to waste your time and play stupid games.

I will be resisting the mod bugs for warranty purposes. Part of how I justified the car was to have a warranty. (there are rumors the car runs 11s with simple mods though...)

While I dont really miss the Evo. This car is ofly similar even though its 800 lbs heavier. Sharp steering, good power, just more refined and less raw.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-

Last edited by PAdutch; 01-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

that thing is just so damn cool. congrats on the purchase.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Nice purchase!

I know the kia/hyundai dealer network is the biggest let down when it comes to the brand; it puts people off. So many years of selling budget **** now the sales people don't know how to sell to normal customers. Wife has an 11 2.0T sonata and it's been pretty decent. My uncle picked one of these up and sold his magnum for it and was pleasantly surprised.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Nice purchase!

I know the kia/hyundai dealer network is the biggest let down when it comes to the brand; it puts people off. So many years of selling budget **** now the sales people don't know how to sell to normal customers. Wife has an 11 2.0T sonata and it's been pretty decent. My uncle picked one of these up and sold his magnum for it and was pleasantly surprised.
The first look we wanted to drive a 4cyl. I took 2 hrs before we went for a test drive. I got frustrated left and didn't come back, and stopped shopping for a while. They need to do better if they are going to sell 50k cars. You just can't match the product and and warranty.

On another note the GTS comes with 19" summer tires. I bought some 18" winter wheels/tires right after we bought the car. Turns out not all 18" wheels fit. JNC 026 wheels put their valve stem in the center of the wheel which does not work with this cars large calipers. So still no winter set-up.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
JNC 026 wheels put their valve stem in the center of the wheel which does not work with this cars large calipers.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
After shopping around there are a few companies doing this. I guess it's fine if your running large dia rims just not if it's tight to the caliper.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Congrats! Nice color too

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Congrats! Nice color too

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

I've seen a few of these and they are great representation of how a simple design that doesn't over do it can still look amazing today. Definitely a badass choice.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Finally got my winter wheel tire set-up worked out. Wheels are XXR 560 18 x 8.5 with a 20 offset. They are pretty aggressive in the stinger world as the car does not have alot of room for tire in the front. 18s definitely look small on this car.

Now I am considering a summer/better looking wheel set-up. Probably in the 20x9, 9.5 range with a 275 wide tire. The stinger community has done an alright job making power out of these things, 500 ftlb of torque is pretty normal, but not alot of work to make them handle. To be expected with a 4000lb grand tourer, but i like wide tires. A 9.5" wheel in the front would be wider than vast majority people with aftermarket wheels.

That being said I'm considering making my own camber plates for the stock struts. Part of the reason you can't fit wide stups in the front is it hits the strut on the inboard side. Camber plates would provide increase clearance and some much need camber.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
How the hell had I not seen this. So ****ing rad
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
How the hell had I not seen this. So ****ing rad
You must check for new threads. TST is a busy place!

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 06-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #16
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Doug agrees with your choice!

https://youtu.be/dKKCmgic8Fg
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Doug agrees with your choice!

https://youtu.be/dKKCmgic8Fg
you would not imagine the buzz over this on FB and forums haha.

Maybe they will sell a few more so the model does not die haha.

Side note: Taking it to a SCCA Track Sprint Event this weekend. Will follow up with a review.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 06-13-2020, 02:29 AM   #18
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Ooo, I'll be watching the live timing. Enjoy!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorStal View Post
Damn! Those are some sick wheels! They somehow remind me of the black American racing rims I bought for my car a few weeks ago.
I've owned American racing wheels before. They are usually very heavy but fine for street wheels. Cheap and durable for the pennsylvania potholes. soon it will be time to mount the winter setup back up. Meaning I really need to post more often.

Track Sprint Review:
As for the track sprint event, i basically proved what I had suspected. The stinger is a great street car and drives quite well up to 8.5/10 driving. Once you try to drive it at 10/10 has some pretty serious flaws.

Auto shift mode: the power delivery was inconsistent, which never really allows the driver to be smooth when exiting corners. It was hard to tell if it was in a gear that was in the power band or not.

Paddle shift mode: The car lets you use the paddle shifter like a true manual in that you can bang the rev limiter all you want. THis allowed for better power delivery control, but the car is quite enough it was hard for me to tell if I was in the correct gear or not. In hindsight I wish I would have turned up the engine noise enhancement.

Handling: Pretty easy to make the car understeer on corner entry, and exit depending on the power delivery. This car does have "drift mode", and it is definitely possible to hang the back end out with some power if your in the power band. In unpredictability of the power made it difficult to control the weight, and therefore the handling was also a little unpredictable.

Braking: Braking was quite good but there is only so much they can do with a ~3800 lb car. They were smoking after my 3rd run but never felt soft.

Power: 370hp is still 370hp at the track.

Heat management: See Brakes. Also the trans got hot enough that it locked me out of launch mode and I felt it necessary to park the car and let it cool down. Slight disappointing but again its a powerful, heavy family sedan so I guess its not to surprising.

Overall it was a good experience. I ended ~1.5 sec off pace of a similarly equipped 3 series BMW which I was fine with. I think with some more time I could have gotten used to the power delivery and using the paddle shifters and made the experience better.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
thyptice
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #28447

My Ride:
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Finally got my winter wheel tire set-up worked out. Wheels are XXR 560 18 x 8.5 with a 20 offset. They are pretty aggressive in the stinger world as the car does not have alot of room for tire in the front. 18s definitely look small on this car.

Now I am considering a summer/better looking wheel set-up. Probably in the 20x9, 9.5 range with a 275 wide tire. The stinger community has done an alright job making power out of these things, 500 ftlb of torque is pretty normal, but not alot of work to make them handle. To be expected with a 4000lb grand tourer, but i like wide tires. A 9.5" wheel in the front would be wider than vast majority people with aftermarket wheels.

That being said I'm considering making my own camber plates for the stock struts. Part of the reason you can't fit wide stups in the front is it hits the strut on the inboard side. Camber plates would provide increase clearance and some much need camber.
It looks like the American Racing Rims that I saw on 4wheelonline.
thyptice is offline   Reply With Quote