TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

GolNat's 2013 GTI 6MT Coupe Stage 2 Bound

Hello, have been a member for a while and to help keep the forum alive decided to start a build thread. I bought my GTI back in November 2018 after my Fit was totaled by a drunk driver running a red light. I have always owned Honda's and have been scared to own a German car from a reliability fear. Most of these fears are based off stories and not from actual ownership so I figured I would try it out for myself. So far she has been doing great but only time will tell. It is a lot more of a pain in the ass to work on and you need so many more tools but regular maintenance has been pretty straight forward.

Engine/Transmission:
Unitronic Stage 2+ K04 Tune
BW K04 turbo
Integrated Engineering CAI
CTS 3" Downpipe
GFB DV+
Neuspeed dog bone insert
R8 coil packs
Resonator Delete
APR Pendulum Mount
BFI Stage 1 Mounts
HPA Short Shifter
RSR DIY Clutch

Interior/Exterior:
New South Boost gauge w/ air vent mount
Klii Plaid Steering Wheel Inlay
Seat Lever Inlays
Plaid shift Boot from StitchBoots
Rennline Phone Mount
Slammer Shift Knob

Suspension/Brakes
17" OZ Racing Wheels
ST-X Coilovers
Flush wheel spacer kit (10 mm F/15 mm R)
Passat Aluminum LCA's
ALK Kit with poly bushings

Waiting to be installed:
Unitronic Intercooler
DEPO LED Euro Tail's
ARM Throttle Pipe
Neuspeed Turbo Outlet Pipe
Euro Switch
Aux/USB Ports

Future Mods:
Water Meth
Intercooler
Audio upgrade of some sort
LED Tail lights
Tint
Possible brake upgrades like SS lines and Porsche calipers

Current mileage is a tad over 41,000 and bought it with 35,000 from Carmax in Newark, DE. On with the pictures.

First my Fit which was a great car just slow:

Damn drunk drivers:

The GTI:

It's the base model so no bells and whistles but it's a low mileage 6 speed which was the most important thing. Oh and plaid seats, it had to have that!

As it sits now:

No plans on slamming or stancing this car. It's a performance car so that is first and foremost.

I have this waiting to go on and then I can flash to stage 2 but am scared because of the stock clutch and I have not had the time.

I'll have to get some updated pictures as last week I did some paint correction on it to help get rid of some of the swirl marks. First black car and its a PITA to keep looking good.

That's all for now, thanks.

Last edited by GolNat; 11-01-2020 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Updated Info
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Very nice

Love the MK6 interior!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

I always liked that seats in the MK6, but only leather to get the sunroof in the earlier versions of the MK7. Nice choice.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Good to see a new journal and a VW at that! Happy motoring!
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Thanks for the welcome. Happy to see other VW people too. A sunroof would be nice but I can live without one. Everytime I get in and out I admire my plaid seats though lol.

Went and visited my dad so he could drive the car. It meet all his expectations and what he has read about it. He had a blast in it and was impressed by its power delivery and how it handled the corners.

Installed some stuff over the weekend and bought some stuff. Changed the oil and took a sample to send to Blackstone (I am still waiting on a sample I sent them a week ago for the Pilot). Oil has 6k miles on it and I am curious how it held up. I didn't need to add any oil which was nice. While I was changing it I installed a magnetic drain plug and replaced the PCV valve gasket with a much thicker one. The thicker one will hold up to boost better and handle future mods. I plan on going bigger turbo with this eventually.

Installed dog bone insert which is great for getting the power down but has created a rather annoying hum from the extra vibration. I am going to ride it out until I install upgraded engine mounts to see if it helps get rid of it.

Forgot to get a pic of the actual insert so here is a shot of the instal instructions.

Picked up a used billet aluminum transmission mount. Just need to get the passenger side and I will be set to put these in.

Have a short shifter to instal but have been waiting for an intake before I instal it since you have to remove the stock air box to replace the shifter. Waiting for the intake I want to come up used.

Scheduled to have my resonator deleted next week so I can hear some beauitiful sounds.

Got my first CEL too. Scanned it and got P1432. After some Google research it is either the Secondary air pump or the relay for the pump. Some kind of emissions thing which is covered under an extended warranty but still a PITA. Car runs great so I will deal with that in the upcoming weeks.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Great progress! ����

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

She is slowly getting there. I have been thinking lately to just stay at stage 1 for longer and skip straight to K04 but I already have the down pipe and it's only an extra $100 for the stage 2 file so I will probably just do that when the stage 1 excitement wears off.

Got the resonator delete and the car sounds amazing IMO. On throttle lift off you can get some nice Chewbacca noises and can hear the turbo spool more on acceleration. Also got some new tips installed to give the OEM exhaust some bling.

Ordered some R8 coil packs from FCP Euro and will put those in soon with some new NGK plugs. Blackstone oil analysis came back great at 6k miles so might go for 8k this time. First time using Redline oil but I am liking it.

Still searching and waiting for an air intake to come up for sale. Need to get the other motor mount so I can put those in too.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Must have missed it, but have you done anything with the clutch? Is that a weak spot on the MK6?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Must have missed it, but have you done anything with the clutch? Is that a weak spot on the MK6?
I am still rolling with the stock clutch as far as I know (previous owner may have upgraded it but I doubt it). 6k miles so far after going stage 1 and it is holding up just fine. It is said to be a weak point but no reason to upgrade until it starts slipping, IMO. There are so many variables that play into clutch life though. I don't launch it, rev match on downshifts, don't sit in traffic (not slipping it as much), no hills, and I don't ride the clutch as I see Jeep people do.

I'm sure it will slip on me tonight now that I said this lol!!!

Installed new coil packs and plugs. R8 coil packs for moar powwa!! It might run smoother but it might just be in my head. Either way had 40k miles on the original and the coil packs are a weak part after a tune. They are red too so that adds an easy 5HP.

Last edited by GolNat; 07-08-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #10
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Picked up a brand new throttle pipe (connects from the outlet of the intercooler to the throttle body). Not needed at this time as it is not much of a restriction but will be good for K04 power levels. Also new this part can range from $100-$160 which is flippin crazy for a piece of aluminum pipe that offers very little in performance besides better throttle response. Got it for $40 so can't complain. Pancake pipe or turbo outlet pipe is the other that completes the factory restrictions. Want to buy used as these are pricey for what they are. Almost picked up a used intercooler but the guy lived kinda far and neither of us had free time to meet.

I am letting the classified section/craigslist determine what parts I get. Trying to keep it as budget as I can to keep the CFO happy

Just started listening to music in the car again. Have been enjoying just driving it around and hearing the exhaust.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

You're modding this the right way! I love me some modification bargain shopping. 90% of what I buy is purchased in that fashion. Oh you only used it for 100 miles? Sure, I'll take it for 80% less than what you paid for it.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Keeping the CFO happy hahahahah. I too like to buy parts at discount lightly used. I may also buy some parts that are cheap that I may not "need"...

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Awesome

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
You're modding this the right way! I love me some modification bargain shopping. 90% of what I buy is purchased in that fashion. Oh you only used it for 100 miles? Sure, I'll take it for 80% less than what you paid for it.
Lol, I am all about some bargains. Even for none car stuff. It is hard waiting sometimes but I have learned now to be patient and get what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Keeping the CFO happy hahahahah. I too like to buy parts at discount lightly used. I may also buy some parts that are cheap that I may not "need"...
I'll do that also on cheaper stuff that I don't "need". She knows it's my hobby and I don't go crazy with it. If it was left up to me there would be a bad ass 911 in the garage! The kids can skip some meals and stretch those sneakers out another year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Awesome
Got to keep making the GTI better.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #15
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Craigslist is dead for VW parts near me. Checked FB market place but half the stuff that comes up is for not mk7 regardless of the post.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Got to keep making the GTI better.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #17
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
Craigslist is dead for VW parts near me. Checked FB market place but half the stuff that comes up is for not mk7 regardless of the post.
It can be impossible to find stuff soemtimes and waiting for something that you want can take a while. CL has not been too consistant but I did find my HPA short shifter and wheels on there. Local to me usually means PA or MD as Delaware sucks for anything. My wheels happen to be a few miles from my house and I am in Amish country. Was one of those rare finds. Not my first choice for style but they are light weight, don't look horrible and didn't cost me $1200. The shifter happend to be in DE and the guy works at Smith VW which was cool.

I don't have a FB but am on golkmk6 forum and there is a good bit of parts that come up for sale. Got all my other stuff off the forum. Just have to be quick and know what you want because some stuff goes fast.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #18
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

New South boost gauge installed. Love how well it fits in with the interior. Bought it used from eBay.

Hopefully scoring an intake soon just waiting on some auctions.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
lm13vand
Noob-Jersey

Member #28148

My Ride:
2013 Scion FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
New South boost gauge installed. Love how well it fits in with the interior. Bought it used from eBay.

Hopefully scoring an intake soon just waiting on some auctions.
What intake are you going with?
lm13vand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
GLHWCU
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1641

My Ride:
04 civic

Send a message via AIM to GLHWCU
Very Nice!