TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #41
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Interesting. I always thought they were a joke on the Mk2. Like, I'm sure they did something because there is a slight angle on the shocks and they'll try to push inwards but where the Mk7 suspension bits live I can't see it doing all that much to help suspension. So I guess it's just a cross brace to turn a big open rectangle into two smaller rectangles
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #42
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
The original VW bar gets rid of the backseats entirely(because race car), some aftermarket require drilling new holes (nope), some don't and are $$, another basically blocks off the back of the rear seats (nope), and then there's this one.
That looks like a great option. I didn't like the drilling hole idea either and the one that I am thinking of that does not require drilling is expensive AF! That should do a good job at stiffening up the rear. Rear spoiler looks great too!!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #43
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Interesting. I always thought they were a joke on the Mk2. Like, I'm sure they did something because there is a slight angle on the shocks and they'll try to push inwards but where the Mk7 suspension bits live I can't see it doing all that much to help suspension. So I guess it's just a cross brace to turn a big open rectangle into two smaller rectangles
Yeah, who knows but the guys in Wolfsburg.

Must do something or else wouldn't be on the Clubsport S model..probably to tighten up that box like you said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #44
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
That looks like a great option. I didn't like the drilling hole idea either and the one that I am thinking of that does not require drilling is expensive AF! That should do a good job at stiffening up the rear. Rear spoiler looks great too!!
Thank you, yeah the Racingline is the full on carbon fiber cross brace with no drilling. Not going to lie - I'm tempted to just do that.

But...not going to spend more money on the car just yet.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #45
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Carbon fiber though...
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Carbon fiber though...

https://www.racingline.com/vwr81g700

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 PM   #47
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I mean.... it's not *my* money
Old 07-06-2019, 10:45 PM   #48
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I mean.... it's not *my* money
Step 1:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superpro...052rz22kit~sp/

Step 2:
https://www.ecodetuning.com/EC0111-0...ategory_id=659

Step 3:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racingli...vwr81g700~vwr/

Step 4:
https://www.killerbrakes.com/product...018-new-black/

Step 5:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...928ecs01-02kt/

Step 6:
https://www.racingline.com/stage-3-20tsi

just money, right?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #49
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm triggered by drilled rotors, lol
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #50
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'm triggered by drilled rotors, lol

all the weight saving upgrades have them

I'm really enjoying having options again for aftermarket fun.

Also, according to the tracking number, the Performance Pack rear spoiler should arrive today. Will install the PP goodies tonight if that's the case.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #51
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I just bought 2 piece rotors for the Miata (for next year) and had to settle for "just" slotted rotors, lol. Still annoys me.

Pics of spoiler!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #52
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I just bought 2 piece rotors for the Miata (for next year) and had to settle for "just" slotted rotors, lol. Still annoys me.

Pics of spoiler!
Haha, fast driver problems

Ordered this spoiler on May 22nd, finally arrived from Latvia yesterday.

It took a little longer than I care to admit for me to center it correctly, but I got it and the adhesive still held just fine.

Honestly, this spoiler I've wanted as badly as the car having the black Pretoria wheels option. I am very happy with how it looks. It is so subtle that it's not noticeable right away and it also gives me a piece of what I love about the styling of the Rabbit too.

To complete the rest of the Performance Pack is my goal. The Performance Pack comes with the rotors and pads from the Clubsport S and has an option for the titanium Akrapovic catback. It also changes the front brake caliper logo plate from the standard black with white R lettering to silver with black R lettering.

Since the car right now is mostly black accents, wheels and mirror caps (and spoiler now), I'm on the fence about putting the logo plates on from the Performance Pack:

I'll probably do it this weekend just to see what it looks like. The Clubsport pads and rotors will be on order soon too.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #53
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Another appearance "mod"

Replaced the cheap plastic 12V plug with one from the Audi S3:

Before:

After:

New plug matches the piano black trim and silver accents perfectly.

$8 mod, so maybe this didn't deserve a journal entry but at least I'm not sharing photos of the VW sunscreen I got for parking outside at work in summer.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #54
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

now that you mention it, lets see the VW sunscreen you got.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #55
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
now that you mention it, lets see the VW sunscreen you got.
Hahaha

Not sure if serious

I’ll have real mods to put in here at some point.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #56
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Hahaha

Not sure if serious

I’ll have real mods to put in here at some point.
serious.

car **** is car ****. lets see car ****. theres not much car **** being posted on here anymore.

theres a few of you guys that make this site worth coming to every day, and I thank you for that.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #57
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

I'm too poor to mod mine currently but I installed a BOV on my friend's ST today. All the pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #58
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
serious.

car **** is car ****. lets see car ****. theres not much car **** being posted on here anymore.

theres a few of you guys that make this site worth coming to every day, and I thank you for that.
Ok, you got it!

So my wife and I are relocating back to Charlotte, NC in a couple of weeks and at my new job, there won't be a parking garage. This means that cars with black interiors become ovens over the course of the day, dash materials dry out, etc.

So with a 15% cash back bonus, I went with the VW branded sunscreen. It rolls up and has a velcro snap to it for easy storage in the car.

The backing is a foam material so it's not hot to the touch when you remove it either.

$32, has a nice VW cloth tag on it.

This is probably the longest write-up over a sun screen ever, but there you have it.

Oh, it does work really well too. Not having a sunroof, plus the UV blocking side window factory tint allows the cabin to stay on the cooler side in 90+ degrees with this screen on.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #59
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
I'm too poor to mod mine currently but I installed a BOV on my friend's ST today. All the pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Haha, PSSSSSSHHHHHHHH

I'm in the process of selling off Camaro/BMW parts (almost all done) so we have less to move. The Golf R aftermarket keeps tempting me but.... probably not the best time to binge on parts Stuff like I've shown is easy to get by with.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #60
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

I am actually in the market for a sunshade so thanks for the pics . I love a black interior but man does it get hot in the summer!

Nice looking spoiler addition and that 12V socket is a nice touch. Mine is hidden in my little cubby thing under a door and I hardly use it.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote