TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #241
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Cancelled the Racingline intake system.

Not needed right now and I’ve been waiting since April.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #242
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
How does everything you order for a new car take so damn long?!?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #243
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
How does everything you order for a new car take so damn long?!?
Covid impact on global supply chain

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #244
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Covid impact on global supply chain
Yeah was mostly being silly. I've got the same issue with my new car... Thread incoming eventually.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #245
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah was mostly being silly. I've got the same issue with my new car... Thread incoming eventually.
New car?? Oooooo can’t wait to hear about it!!

R was picked up today for the work. Should get it tomorrow afternoon. Also getting the brake fluid bled and a dollap of curb rash repaired.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #246
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Some pics from the garage:

With the alignment, it's easy to see how the limits of grip previous to the wheel knuckles was for understeer.

Car is now finished and back home in the garage. Will post driving impressions soon. Both Golf R techs were happy with the difference in tightened steering response. I'll have to verify!

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 08-13-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #247
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Long awaited (since it took forever to get parts) driving impression:

- No noticeable NVH difference driving through town, which I'm happy about since stiffness was added with the LCA bushing and subframe.
- Steering is a little bit heavier, but you'd have to pay attention
- Not much else

Then I looked down and saw that the car had been put in Eco mode by the shop!

Back to Normal mode...

Steering now heavier but solid feeling

NVH still not there

ok, cool...passes the wife test.

Time for onramps!

WOW! I can take these MUCH easier than before. The car now leans into the turn and doesn't resist it. Seems like more dynamic camber is at play now somehow? You turn and the car just dives in now, instead of the car pushing against the steering angle.

The seat bolsters are not enough anymore! I was sliding out of the seat haha

Ok, hop on the highway... as I go faster in speed, steering becomes more precise. When I do a lane change, the car just darts to the lane, there isn't a moment of easing in.

Steering is now flatter, more responsive, a touch heavier. The front end now just dives into turns without any effort.

I've never had a mod change a car's character as much as this has. The Golf R... the front heavy Golf R... now turns and wants to grip up front. This car is FIXED.

Thank you Karsten Schebsdat!

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/gol...ith-uk-driving

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 08-13-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:30 PM   #248
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Wow. It's too bad they don't do those simple changes from the factory, that sounds like a VERY nice improvement
Old 08-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #249
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Wow. It's too bad they don't do those simple changes from the factory, that sounds like a VERY nice improvement
Yeah man, completely different driving experience now. This is what people are after with the RSB, etc. The frontend now has a wider dynamic camber curve with more direct steering and turn-in.

So I was thinking.. why didn't the R come like this?

Thought goes in a couple directions:

- Leave room in the lineup for the Clubsport S exclusivity, leave room for Audi, leave room for cost efficient upgrades for the mk8 model

- Keep cost lower and be more running cost friendly with less camber on customer tires.

Otherwise, gotta be honest... not sure how much more you can make this better performance-wise while retaining the Golf swiss army knife approach to daily driving.

The mk8 brings in a CPU to manage all of the driving dynamic systems at the same time, with finer levels of damper control... the rest is basically what I just did (maybe without the -2 negative front camber) + bushing changes.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 08-14-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #250
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The sad truth

At least all of the parts are available and you could make the upgrades reasonably cost efficiently without resorting to insane custom fabbed stuff that's never *quite* OEM like (for better or worse!)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #251
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The sad truth

At least all of the parts are available and you could make the upgrades reasonably cost efficiently without resorting to insane custom fabbed stuff that's never *quite* OEM like (for better or worse!)
1000%

I agree, it’s nice to have those parts available and for them to “fix” the “issues”

Now that the car is nearly finished with performance parts I’m planning a trip for next weekend to go here:

https://www.ncblueridge.com/great-li...-ridge-parkway

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #252
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Unintended side benefit of these mods has been the turning circle is now tighter somehow.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #253
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
1000%

I agree, it’s nice to have those parts available and for them to “fix” the “issues”

Now that the car is nearly finished with performance parts I’m planning a trip for next weekend to go here:

https://www.ncblueridge.com/great-li...-ridge-parkway
Looks super fun! Isn't that the site of the Southern Worthersee event?

Quote:
Unintended side benefit of these mods has been the turning circle is now tighter somehow.
Must have slightly shorter steering arms on the knuckles, nice!
Old 08-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #254
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Looks super fun! Isn't that the site of the Southern Worthersee event?

Must have slightly shorter steering arms on the knuckles, nice!
Not sure! I thought that was in Georgia?

Ahhh. I need a stock R now to compare this with haha.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #255
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ordered the VW Homelink rearview mirror with Compass.

Simple plug and play, lets me push a button on the rearview to open the garage door, instead of taking the remote out of my armrest. (ultimate lazy mod)

This leaves me with tires, dynamic tail lights and the Akrapovic.

-- as well as another check of the Pretorias to make sure they're still round (I have my doubts some days)

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #256
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Any updates on the Akrapovic?

Homelink mirror FTW! I want to do one in the RX-8. ND needs a smaller mirror as it's such a small car it already takes a bunch of space up.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #257
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Any updates on the Akrapovic?

Homelink mirror FTW! I want to do one in the RX-8. ND needs a smaller mirror as it's such a small car it already takes a bunch of space up.
No updates - I spent the money on the Clubsport S items

Need to save up for the Akrapovic. Have a supplier that can get me one thankfully.

Right?? This is going to be great!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #258
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Makes sense, much more readily available than the exhaust. Awesome that you finally found a source for the exhaust at least!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #259
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Makes sense, much more readily available than the exhaust. Awesome that you finally found a source for the exhaust at least!
Yeah, and frankly more of what the car needs. The akrapovic to me is just the final touch to make this car complete.

https://www.oemvwshop.com/5g6253609c.../?currency=usd

confirmed two in stock and has shipped these to the US a few times. Just need to trade some options and get the money at this point.

Kind of wild that this build is almost done now. In the land of COVID, I've only put about 1200 miles on the car this year.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 09-16-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #260
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

It's wild how little we've all driven. It's going to suck having to drive to work every day, haha.