TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Gone Golfing

After a week of negotiating between six different dealerships from Richmond to DC, I was able to get one to agree to my terms after a fun text battle between the finalists.

I'll unwrap the details tomorrow when I go to pick it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 05-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Hmmm focus rs?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
nice
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Hmmm focus rs?
i thought so at first too, but i don't think ford packages their cars like this. I know Audi vehicles come like this, but didn't think they had a sporty hatch at the moment.

Last edited by rocknrace03; 05-02-2019 at 02:13 PM.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

It's a Golf R?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Tons of pictures before the reveal as I was able to unwrap the car before the PDI process:

These are starting to give it away, so i'll make it easier:

Now you know, here's one last unwrapping photo:

After the PDI was completed, I took a photo of the amount of miles on the car:

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Full reveal:

(No bumpers were harmed in the mounting of the front plate)

2019 Golf R w/ DSG and the 19" split 5-spoke gloss black alloy wheels package in Lapiz Blue (R's heritage color)

This comes with the Digital Cockpit Dash Display, Dynamic Chassis Control, the updated 7-speed DSG, with full Safety Assist functionality- Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Park Pilot, Pedestrian Detection (All of which can be disabled).

I also opted for the full maintenance plans to save some money out of pocket later. This covers all the oil changes and regular maintenance along with brake rotors, pads, hoses, belts, etc. It's all done through VW so that I can take the car to any VW dealer and be covered. Since I used to work at VWoA, I've already asked about getting some parts from Germany to add the R Performance Pack to it too.

Purpose of this move:
Reduce my car expenditures from 2 cars into 1 thats covered by warranty and isn't inconvenient to drive like the ZL1. Have a better commuter car for the twice a week trips from Richmond to DC for work or the twice a month trips to Raleigh from Richmond. Use active safety features to keep the car moving through traffic and highway driving to lessen fatigue. Have bumper to bumper warranty and maintenance coverage for 6 years, 72k miles.

As a performance platform:
0-60 in 4.6 seconds, traps around 103-104 mph. Can be outdone by a Type R or Focus RS but offers huge tuning potential and large aftermarket support (APR, Bilstein, StopTech, etc.) I won't be modifying this one much (sort of like the ZL1) because I'd like to keep the warranty going for awhile.

My plans: DC-area autocross and a few HPDEs would be nice. Definitely want to go down to the Tail of the Dragon (surrounding roads especially) too. I'm envisioning this car as being the best of both worlds for what I'd like to do, year-round. Frankly, this is the car I should have gotten in the very beginning when I sold off the GTI and 911. I wasn't a huge fan of it's styling at the time, but the refresh in 2018 gave the R a more aggressive look which is more of what I like.

After having two 6th gen Camaros, this is a huge change. There is noticeable throttle lag while the turbo spools up, which I will need to learn to downshift to mitigate. I am already missing having a manual transmission, but the manual trans for the car is severely limited by a poor clutch and for a commuter, the DSG just made more sense.

I can suddenly park a car again...nice benefit to going to something I can see out of The steering and adaptive suspension are a similar feel around town to the Camaro, although I think the Camaro was definitely stiffer in Sport/Track mode with it's adaptive dampers. Body motions are controlled better in the R for street driving.

In some ways, this feels like I'm coming home a little bit. It's not big, bulky, awkward to get into or hard to see out of. I don't actively avoid trying to park the car in garages or on the street. Plus, the fuel economy is hilariously better, despite what the sticker says. The stereo/infotainment/technology is clearly much better too.

More to come!

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 05-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
i thought so at first too, but i don't think ford packages their cars like this. I know Audi vehicles come like this, but didn't think they had a sporty hatch at the moment.
VW recently changed over to this method as well to better protect the paint and windows from damage during the transport. They now have to put the car on a lift to remove the wrapping as its secured under the car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
It's a Golf R?
I knew someone would figure it out before I could post.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Doing PPF to protect that beautiful blue?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Doing PPF to protect that beautiful blue?
Think I'm going with ceramic after a professional detail...the orange peel on this car is actually a lot worse than I've seen before on a new car. That'll need correction, then ceramic to bring it home.

PPF would provide some additional protection over ceramic?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

This car is definitely on my short list. Especially with VW's new warranty. Did you test drive anything else to compare it to?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Great pick up! Never thought they would, but these cars have been a serious search candidate for me. How is the cargo space?
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Think I'm going with ceramic after a professional detail...the orange peel on this car is actually a lot worse than I've seen before on a new car. That'll need correction, then ceramic to bring it home.

PPF would provide some additional protection over ceramic?
Yes, ceramic doesn't do anything for rock chips, just swirls and small scratches and such.

PPF has a little bit of orange peel to it, but smoother paint helps minimize it. Ceramic over the PPF for best protection.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
This car is definitely on my short list. Especially with VW's new warranty. Did you test drive anything else to compare it to?
Awesome! It's hard to go wrong with this kind of warranty.

I test drove the GTI and as much as I love that car, the front end weight bias was a bit too obvious when I leaned into it more.

I started out with a Rabbit since I love how they look, then moved up to an Autobahn to see safety and stereo features. At that point, decided to just pay the extra cash for the R and not settle since I remember when I last had a GTI, how much I wanted an R.

Beyond that, I didn't test drive anything else other than an M2, here's why:
-Worked for VW, have some brand loyalty
-Civic Type R looks horrendous to me, can't get over the garish interior either
-Focus RS has had a lot of quality issues and was discontinued...I don't really trust used turbo cars.
-Subaru has the same old, same old that I had over 10 years ago.
-Had an EVO, wouldn't buy one used...not a very good car despite being performance incredible.
-Looked at the M2, but didn't like the test drive: Shifter was wonky/rubbery, clutch didn't match the long shifter throw, ride quality was very poor, cost was too high for what it is. The engine was a gem though haha
-Considered a GT350 but wanted something more DD friendly....it's probably better than the ZL1 but similar enough that it would have been a hard sell as a family car.
-Looked at SUVs but I'm just not there yet...and they're physically too large for me to deal with as a smaller guy.

Easy to blend the DD need with another performance coupe since we don't have kids, and I had to come back to Earth a few times. (trying to justify a used 911 with a PDK for a DD for example). Golf R was it. The refresh made a large difference to the car inside and out.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 05-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Great pick up! Never thought they would, but these cars have been a serious search candidate for me. How is the cargo space?
Thank you!

It continues to amaze me how flexible it can be as an all in one car. The interior is fantastic, the ride is great, but then you drop it into Race mode (more on that in a sec) and it becomes your favorite boost buggy. It's a split personality car to an extent....it never gets rough around the edges or beat you up.

Cargo space is the same as the last gen Tiguan. 57 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. With the seats up, it can still fit a ton of stuff due to the height of the "trunk". I'm looking forward to using it with my dog, etc.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yes, ceramic doesn't do anything for rock chips, just swirls and small scratches and such.

PPF has a little bit of orange peel to it, but smoother paint helps minimize it. Ceramic over the PPF for best protection.
This sounds expensive and over my head as a DIY First mod!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The R comes with four preset modes: Eco, Comfort, Normal, and Race. There is a fifth mode, however, called Custom.

This is where you get to be your own engineer:

Here are the settings I've decided on after putting the car around it's paces so far:

Comfort mode for the suspension seems to match the spring rate the best...Race mode seems overdamped and too many body motions for no reason, IMO.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 AM   #19
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Great looking R!! Love that color. One day I hope to upgrade my GTI to an R. Congratulations!!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Great looking R!! Love that color. One day I hope to upgrade my GTI to an R. Congratulations!!
Thank you!!

I LOVE the GTI...do you have a journal on here?

/
/
/
/
/